• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan blade opinion/options for a 440?

hunt2elk

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:45 PM
Reaction score
I'm to the point on my 69 Charger R/T non A/C car to figure out what to use for a fan blade. My options are a fixed blade with a 1.24" spacer which has plenty of clearance and is centered in the shroud. This setup fits very nice.

P2250044.jpg

Or, what I think would have come on the car. I have an original blade that takes the clutch. I bought a Hayden 2747 which is listed for this car and bolted it together to check fitment. The blade seems to be fairly close to centered in the shroud, but what makes me nervous is there is only 7/16" between the front of the clutch and the radiator. Is this normal? Anybody else running this setup and is it worth the extra 10 or so hp. for a chance it could go into the radiator?

P2250039.jpgP2250040.jpg

H2E - I would think that the fan blades being that close to the radiator would be a good thing for moving air through the radiator and cooling that big 440 ! ! !

At least you have that! I wanted the clutch fan but just couldn't do it with the billet pulley, and aluminum rad, had to use an 18" flex, works great........

So are you guys saying that 7/16" is enough clearance? I have read a lot of guys are using a Hayden 2765 which is for a Jaguar, but fits our Mopars. It gives more clearance but doesn't last long because it is designed for a lighter fan blade.

Its the blades you gotta worry about, the clutch aint going anywhere. You got heck of a lot more room than me!

Agreed, the blades are what you have to worry about. If you remember in my thread my setup looks just like that, I've ran it quite a bit with zero problems. The clutch would have to completely come apart before it would be a problem.

My Coronet uses that clutch and a 7-blade fan. The clutch sits close to the radiator like yours. See photo.

US Radiator Installed 9-29-13.jpgUS Radiator Installed 9-29-014.jpgUS Radiator Installed 9-29-015.jpgUS Radiator Installed 9-29-016.jpg

Looks normal too me. The clutch needs to be close to the radiator so it can get temp reading of the rad and know when to engage. The blades should be centered on the shroud edge.
I've been running the viscous fan with clutch for decades. Best setup.

Attachments

• motor (3).jpg
    motor (3).jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 403
Sounds like I was worrying for nothing then. For some reason I thought there should be a little more space in there.

I think that's normal. I went through this a few months ago as well. Just bolt it up.

They make shorter shafted clutch fans if you're really worried about it.

Auto Transport Service
Back