• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fans of the Chrysler Turbine Car? Photos and links here

Thanks. My uncle used to work in Chrysler Engineering in the Highland Park HQ. Probably headed to the scrap bin.

That Turbine is Very cool. The story of the fate of the rest of those is kind of tough to see. So far ahead of its time.

They were destroyed because Chrysler didn't want to pay the import tarriffs on the bodies,if you have ever seen the video of them being destroyed,it's pretty hard to watch.

It is certainly a sad site. Chrysler continued dabbling in turbines until the late 1970s.

The Museum Of Transportation in St. Louis had one in there when I went , about 30 years ago. I don't know if it's still in there or not.

Here is a Turbine car arriving in New Zealand as part of the World Tour to show it off...

upload_2020-12-23_16-42-15.png

upload_2020-12-23_16-42-34.png

I know of 2 for sure. Jay Leno and The Detroit Historical Museum. I suspect The Museum of Transportation in St. Louis still owns the car which makes 3.

The Smithsonian has one. The one Jay Leno has came from the Chrysler museum,they had three of them at one time. Supposedly only nine survived.

The Henry Ford Museum has one, too. Or at least it did when I was there about 10 years ago.

My father was a Chrysler/Plymouth salesman and got to drive one. He said it had no 'pickup' but loved the fact there was instant heat in the winter.

IIRC I think there's only 4 still existing today

from 1998 of 3 of the 4 left, of 200 produced
63 Chrysler Ghia Turbine Fury 200 made 4 left #5 1998.jpg

63 Chrysler Ghia Turbine Fury Design GF-Team.jpg

There were 9 that survived, Chrysler tried to donate as many as possible to museums. One of the three in that photo is the one Jay Leno has.

The Museum Of Transportation in St. Louis had one in there when I went , about 30 years ago. I don't know if it's still in there or not.
It's still there. I worked in the plant a few miles from the museum and every year we had a plant car show. All the employees would bring in their cars. A friend of mine had the job of making sure it showed up every year. It's pretty nice and looked way ahead of it's time. The dash always reminded me of a 1959-1960 Chevy. My brother volunteers there and helps rebuild old train cars and locomotives. It's a fun place to visit.

A little over 50 were produced.

Auto Transport Service
Back