• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fast ratio pitman arm conversion - different clocking?

cudak888

Local time
10:59 AM
Reaction score
I just installed a fast-ratio pitman and idler (Proforged) into my '68 Satellite this afternoon. Car has power steering (stock box).

I'd just serviced the rest of the rack prior to doing the pitman/idler, so the tie rod ends were almost perfectly equal with the previous setup - in short, it worked as intended.

Now, the Proforged unit, unlike Firm Feel or other repops, has no indexing tabs on the pitman, so I marked up the original pitman, centered the wheel and rack, yanked the old one out, and put the new one in as close as I could to centered, then played around with the tie rod adjustment to get the toe-in reasonably accurate*.

After bringing the car down though, I find that I have only about a third of all steering travel to the left, but the right will bottom out on the frame (I've read that it's possible to bottom out in either direction without the P/S box limiter modifications as done by the factory on the E-body T/A box).

I paid pretty close attention to my installation, and I'm quite sure I didn't wind up turning the wheel when I didn't intend to - but sure enough, I hardly have any left-hand travel as explained above, and have all the travel I need in the RH direction.

• Tie rod adjustments look great. They're inequal, but only about 1/8" or so more on the right hand side. Normal stuff.
  • Drag link is perfectly centered when the wheels are centered.
  • Steering wheel aligns to the center, normally.
The rack isn't touching anything either when hitting left lock, but the P/S pump does lightly groan as if the steering box hit its internal stop.

I have to believe I must have turned the wheel to the left one full turn and not realized it, but I wanted to ask one thing: Is there any possibility that the fast-ratio pitman requires the steering gear to be clocked 180 degrees at the column-to-box joint? I somehow doubt I'm an entire 360 off (but maybe I'm wrong!), yet, I've nearly convinced myself that the 180 clock concept is nonsense - after all, absolute center on the steering box should be the same regardless of the arm's length, and at most, I could have been one or two tooth off - not enough to prevent the wheel from making 2/3 of its turn.

Thought I'd run this by the forum first before tearing into it tomorrow. I hope it's worth it, because the fast-ratio arms are SUPER twitchy. Then again, so is any Mopar that is still running bias-ply alignment specs, and I doubt anyone did anything on this car to correct that - but just the same, this thing out-steers the average modern car, and definitely out-steers the variable-ratio 3-turn Saginaw high-performance boxes that I've experienced in 1971-73 Mustang Mach 1s.

But when it's fast and floaty, it's a handful. Wonder if I'm doing the right thing. Been content with slow, floaty steering for 28 years now; now I'm asking myself why I want to change.

-Kurt

*Mind you, it doesn't have to be perfect at this point, because it's just so I can drive the car to find out what else may be wrong with it - it hasn't been roadworthy in years. Frankly, far as I'm concerned, nothing is really at an alignment-workable state in older Mopar front ends without eccentric UCA bushings installed, and I'm going straight to tubular UCAs and a disc conversion from here, soon as I can drum up the rest of the parts.

Last edited:
Long story short: I was 360 degrees too far to the left with the steering wheel/box. Probably happened when I unbolted the pitman arm and started moving the box from the wrench torque.

Fixed it up today and got it perfect - almost impossible to do it without the front end of the car jacked up and the idler loosened up. Also got it one tooth off at first, but was able to rectify that easily. Came out quite nice:

1968 Plymouth Satellite B-body w/fast ratio pitman + idler by cudak888, on Flickr

Please excuse the booger welded exhaust. For now, anyway.

-Kurt

Just saying', if you were "off by 360 degrees", your right back where you started, lol!!

Just saying', if you were "off by 360 degrees", your right back where you started, lol!!

Off by 360 degrees at the wheel (one full turn).

At the shaft, this accounts for very little. In fact, it's downright amazing how much the wheels turn for a relatively small turn of the steering gear shaft.

-Kurt

You got that right!

You got that right!

Funny thing is, it's not rocket science, so long as you can wrap your head around what each part is doing - and if you've ever had the opportunity of actually watching the pitman shaft spinning vs. the steering wheel, then the sensitivity of the pitman positioning all makes sense.

Lifting the car up in front helps a bunch too; makes it easier to play with the clocking tooth-by-tooth (even easier if you've got a helper [a.k.a. sucker] sitting in the car who'll fiddle the wheel slightly for you; otherwise, you're left to kick the tires into the direction you want them while trying to wiggle the splines back together).

-Kurt

Auto Transport Service
Back