• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favorite NHRA Driver All time....

Jungle Jim was the best show man. For the most like able guy who would spend time with the crowds at all the tracks it has to be Ronnie Sox number 1 of all. The worst guy in Drag Racing had to be Grumpy Jenkins a complete social asshole.

I loved Jungle Pam,,,,,Jim was ok.But if I had to pick my favorite,,,,,,,,Bud Fauble,he's my hero.Spent a lot of time yakkin with him for many years at Carlisle!!

Attachments

• IMG_4498.jpg
    IMG_4498.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_4500.jpg
    IMG_4500.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 171
Ever see Don Carlton ? Pretty good also.

Yes he was real good. Actually I would put Don Carlton and Herb McCandless in the same class with Ronnie Sox. But I would give Ronnie a tiny edge. I may be giving the tiny edge to him because he did it so well so long and new how to win. It may even be that he just won so much and was more popular then most that makes me give him the edge. But I agree Don Carlton and Herb McCandles were about the only two in his class other then maybe Arlene Vanke , Bill Jenkins and Dyno Don. Ron

Always loved watching John Force.

Scott Geofferon (sp?) was a super cool dude when I met him.

Lots of people can/could drive a stick very well. Hell, people thought my 4-speed Duster was an auto.

http://mr4speed.com/
Used to run a 66 Mustang Fastback on the street with a 4 speed and never really needed to hit 4th very often (at least not running 1/8 mile) and got asked from time to time if I was running a C4 or a C6. Uh, T10....and that's usually when they'd take a look in the car lol. And man, there are/were a lot of driver's that I liked including their wives. Eddie and Ercie were always nice to me and my wife so they stick out in my mind......

Cool pic Al!

Great car too!

Mark,Bud told me a story about when they put him in a blown nitro Dodge.When it went KABOOM and the fire was goin over the windshield,he got out of the car PISSED! He told them he would NEVER drive nitro again,,,,,,,and he didn't!

Attachments

• IMG_0715.jpg
    IMG_0715.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 132
  • CARLISLE 7.11 265.jpg
    CARLISLE 7.11 265.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1175.JPG
    IMG_1175.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 131
Yeah, that might have had something to do with Castrol not sponsoring John Force Racing anymore...
Deemed perhaps not P.C.?

Al: That HAS to be a scary !!

chrismanscomet 2.jpg

saw this car when I was a teen still can picture this car run in my mind ... how crazy can you be top fuel engine in a door slammer ..love it... Jack Chrisman

Favorites? Amazed no one has mentioned them considering all they did for us: Jim Thorton and Mike Buckel----RAMCHARGERS!!

My favorite owner was Joe Pisano hands down, then Roland Leong of "Hawaiian"... but as for favorite drivers; 1st Don "Snake" Prudhomme, "Jungle" Jim Lieberman, Dick Landy, Ronnie Sox, Dave "Nanook" Hough, Gary "Blazen" Hazen, "Wild" Willy Borsch, Kenny "Bud King" Bernstein, Ed "Ace" McCullough... But currently probably Ron Capps & John "Brute" Force the best interview in motorsports today, special mention to, Raymond "Blue Max" Beadle, "Big Daddy" Don Garlits, Bob Glidden, Bill "Grupmy" Jenkins, Joe Amato, Eddy Hill, "Tricky" Ricky Smith, Scott Jefferion, Gary Ormsby or Scotty "Big Tomato" Cannon... most all from my era & earlier when I went with my step dad all over Calif. & the west coast...
My current favorite driver is Ron Capps F/C DSR

close followed by Robert Hight F/C JFR

for top fuel today Antron Brown T/F DSR,

but my money in T/F is on Steve Torrence Capco Team

P/M 'Tricky' Ricky Smith is a long time favorite too
newest favorite is Stevie 'Fast' Jackson in Pro-Mod

Pro-stock (Pro-Camaro class :poke: ) Bo Butner KB/Summit Racing Team
Always respected Jeg Coughlin too, even if he's on the Elite MS team

Pro-stock bike when he keeps his big mouth shut, Matt Smith
Eddie Kraweic a close 2nd

best interview John Force hands down

The worst guy in Drag Racing had to be Grumpy Jenkins a complete social asshole.
yeah he was a course character, for damn sure
like many professional racers in the early years,
a lot of confrontations, snide remarks, in your face stuff etc.
lots of recluses too
(lots of fights on the return road/big end turn offs)

It wasn't nowhere near as much TV or media exposure, back then
they could get away with it 'way back when'
far less of the butt-hurt types we have today, offended by everything
it wasn't anywhere near as family friendly/as cleaned up as today
they'd be chastised by the PC/media goodie two-shoes crowd today

"Grumpy", he got the nickname for a good reason
but he was a great tuner/driver & racer

John Forces mouth was always faster than his car,and his car was fast! His team and Ford trying to claim the Hemi was a Ford engine, made me really dislike the guy!

There is a bunch of great people in the sport, I have met some, but don't know them personally.

Auto Transport Service
Back