• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favorite Octane Booster?

FYI.....av-gas From google
Can I run AvGas in my vehicle?
AvGas is short for Aviation Gasoline. AvGas is of interest to motoring enthusiasts because of its availability, octane rating and low price compared to commercial race fuels. AvGas might seem an obvious choice but closer study raises some doubt.

AvGas LL100 stands for "Low Lead 100 Octane". TEL (Tetra-ethyl-lead) is added to raise the octane. When used in a motor vehicle this fuel will leave a lot of lead deposits in the motor. 100LL has a high lead content (0.5 grams per litre), even higher than leaded race fuels. The deposits left when TEL(lead) is burned are corrosive and damaging to valves, valve guides, valve seats and cylinder heads. Lead deposits will also block oxygen(lambda) sensors and catalytic converters and foul spark plugs even after only a short use. Also, 100LL has a chemical package added to make it perform at high altitude, and that isn't the best thing for motor vehicle performance here on the ground.

AvGas is blended for large-bore, long-stroke, low RPM engines which run at high altitude. While AvGas' higher octane is useful, smaller-bore, shorter-stroke, high RPM engines will perform better on racing fuel or high quality octane boosters. AvGas has lower volatility so when used in proportions higher than about 40%, part-throttle drivability and cold starts may be compromised. AvGas has a lower specific gravity so it will require a change in air-fuel ratio calibration for the engine to perform at its best. LL100 is blended with a high percentage of aromatics causing reduced throttle response which is not an issue with an aircraft engine but certainly an issue in a high-performance automotive engine. These high levels of aromatics will also damage rubber components in automotive fuel systems such as fuel lines, fuel pump seals and injector washers.

The sale and use of AvGas is heavily-regulated. Most aircraft fuel dealers refuse to put AvGas into anything other than an aircraft fuel tank. There is a legal grey area that has some vendors willing to dispense AvGas into "approved" containers if they believe the end use of that AvGas is fueling an aircraft engine. This loop-hole is how some may obtain AvGas for automotive use. Because AvGas has no taxes and duties on it, use on public roads is illegal and if found could result in your vehicle being impounded.

View attachment 914295
The Bottom Line:
Avgas may be suitable for some race cars that don't have catalytic convertors or oxygen sensors and are rebuilt often enough that the TEL(lead) build-up is not an issue. For other applications use an unleaded race fuel or a good quality octane booster.
So....the result is: "use at your own risk"....or "you pay your money and take your choice". I've used it infrequently...several years ago... without any consequences...i'll stick with the Sunoco fuels ss noted previously....and not any octane boosters. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON
One of your better informative posts BOB RENTON. Thanks!!

I have used Lucas octane booster, which I can find at Walmart, AutoZone, etc. It worked when I got a bad batch of 93 or accidently used 87 or 89. This is for putzing around in my antique RR. If you are trying to win the Daytona 500, I don't know.

I think it left brown MMT deposits on the spark plugs, but I don't care.

In 1922, an American called Thomas Midgely (who also invented CFCs) found that if tetraethyl lead, Pb(CH2CH3)4, was put into petrol, particles of lead and lead oxide PbO are formed on combustion. This helps the petrol to burn more slowly and smoothly, preventing knocking and giving higher Octane ratings. 1,2-dibromoethane is also added to the petrol to remove the lead from the cylinder as PbBr2, which is a vapour and removed from the engine. (This is how lead is released into the environment from leaded fuels). Using higher-Octane leaded petrol meant that more powerful high-compression engines could be built.

lte.gif
Lead tetraethyl (left) is a lead atom bonded to a tetrahedral arrangment of ethyl groups. Thus, the molecule can be thought of as a metal atom surrounded by a hydrocarbon cage. The C-Pb bond is quite weak, and in the hot environment of an internal combustion engine it fragments producing lead and C2H5 radicals which can help terminate the combustion process by radical reactions.

IMO....Long story shortened....TEL works great...BUT....with advent and requirement of the catalytic converter, TEL was removed because it "poisons" the platinum & palladium elements rendering the conversion process ineffective.
There are certain factions of our society believe that "green house gases" are destroying the atmosphere. The increase in these greenhouse gases are always blamed on coal fired and natural gas fired generation plants.....but how much of these generated greenhouse gases are attributed to the automotive catalytic converter?
The catalytic converter's reaction is:
Typically, there are two different catalysts in a catalytic converter:
  • One of them tackles nitrogen oxide pollution using a chemical process called reduction (removing oxygen). This breaks up nitrogen oxides into nitrogen and oxygen gases (which are harmless, because they already exist in the air around us).
  • The other catalyst works by an opposite chemical process called oxidation (adding oxygen) and turns carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide. Another oxidation reaction turns unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust into carbon dioxide and water.
In effect, three different chemical reactions are going on at the same time. That's why we talk about three-way catalytic converters. (Some, less-effective converters carry out only the second two (oxidation) reactions, so they're called two-way catalytic converters.) After the catalyst has done its job, what emerges from the exhaust is mostly nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, and water (in the form of steam).

Should we do away with catalytic converters on cars as greenhouse gas generators?? It would be nice....but..that will never happen...
Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Fran,
I don't use octane boosters, per say, but I use a blended sunoco Race fuel and 93 octane pump gas. Refer to the link: www.sunocoracefuels.com
The link will show all their offerings. You'll have to check your area for local availability and prices.

This is what l use. (from the Sunoco write up)
Sunoco® Standard™ is a 110 octane leaded race fuel that is used in many forms of motorsports. Sunoco Standard is designed for compression ratios up to about 13:1 in conventional V8 engines with iron cylinder heads. It can tolerate higher compression ratios in aluminum cylinder head applications or engines with smaller or more efficient combustion chambers. While most racers use Sunoco Standard in naturally aspirated applications, it is also a good choice for mild nitrous, turbocharged, and supercharged applications.

Sunoco Standard features a comprehensive additive package to enhance shelf life by improving stability and minimizing oxidation. It should be stored in opaque, tightly sealed containers and kept where temperatures are stable. Properly stored, the shelf life of Sunoco Standard is in excess of 2 years.
The info shows the composition specifics. Hope this helps.
BOB RENTON

In 1922, an American called Thomas Midgely (who also invented CFCs) found that if tetraethyl lead, Pb(CH2CH3)4, was put into petrol, particles of lead and lead oxide PbO are formed on combustion. This helps the petrol to burn more slowly and smoothly, preventing knocking and giving higher Octane ratings. 1,2-dibromoethane is also added to the petrol to remove the lead from the cylinder as PbBr2, which is a vapour and removed from the engine. (This is how lead is released into the environment from leaded fuels). Using higher-Octane leaded petrol meant that more powerful high-compression engines could be built.

View attachment 920813 Lead tetraethyl (left) is a lead atom bonded to a tetrahedral arrangment of ethyl groups. Thus, the molecule can be thought of as a metal atom surrounded by a hydrocarbon cage. The C-Pb bond is quite weak, and in the hot environment of an internal combustion engine it fragments producing lead and C2H5 radicals which can help terminate the combustion process by radical reactions.

IMO....Long story shortened....TEL works great...BUT....with advent and requirement of the catalytic converter, TEL was removed because it "poisons" the platinum & palladium elements rendering the conversion process ineffective.
There are certain factions of our society believe that "green house gases" are destroying the atmosphere. The increase in these greenhouse gases are always blamed on coal fired and natural gas fired generation plants.....but how much of these generated greenhouse gases are attributed to the automotive catalytic converter?
The catalytic converter's reaction is:
Typically, there are two different catalysts in a catalytic converter:
  • One of them tackles nitrogen oxide pollution using a chemical process called reduction (removing oxygen). This breaks up nitrogen oxides into nitrogen and oxygen gases (which are harmless, because they already exist in the air around us).
  • The other catalyst works by an opposite chemical process called oxidation (adding oxygen) and turns carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide. Another oxidation reaction turns unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust into carbon dioxide and water.
In effect, three different chemical reactions are going on at the same time. That's why we talk about three-way catalytic converters. (Some, less-effective converters carry out only the second two (oxidation) reactions, so they're called two-way catalytic converters.) After the catalyst has done its job, what emerges from the exhaust is mostly nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, and water (in the form of steam).

Should we do away with catalytic converters on cars as greenhouse gas generators?? It would be nice....but..that will never happen...
Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON
Interesting but, as carbon monoxide is also a greenhouse gas, how much is the catalytic converter hurting?

Interesting but, as carbon monoxide is also a greenhouse gas, how much is the catalytic converter hurting?

I guess it depends on the efficiency of the conversion reaction and the percentage of the composition of the waste gas inlet to the converter. With today's engine management technology (gasoline direct injection, variable valve timing, modulated displacement on demand, high compression ratios) better emission results are achieved WITHOUT the use of RGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation), remember that control. Hopefully, in the near future, emissions will be controlled effectively with out a catalytic converter.....BUT....like taxes, they never get eliminated or reduced only increased.....because they can be.... thanks to the greenhouse gas proponents.....but that's another topic for a different forum. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

I think it left brown MMT deposits on the spark plugs, but I don't care.

You might care when the throttle response is reduced or it starts misfiring from fouled plugs. BTDT.

I use Torco with 93 octane 10% Ethanol pump gas. (12oz to 5 gallons). does what I need.

IMO...
These products advertise intangibles with such expletives "best", "highest", more than", "lesser carbon foot print" (than what?...in order to compare you need a base point), "off the charts octane and efficiency ratings", etc and other euphemisms to induce YOU, (the purchaser) to buy their product. BUT do they "guarantee" their advertised results....what recourse do you, the buyer, have if the product does not perform as you, the buyer expect? Money refunded? Reimbursement for repairs to the fuel system or engine or emission systems? Who makes this determination?
For my application, I'll stick with a known quantity.....for example, the Sunoco Race Fuels, noted previously and discussed and not these advertised products. However, its your vehicle, your money and your time and if you feel this stuff is the panacea you've been looking for....have at it.....but remember the old adage: CAVIET EMPTOR (which translates to "let the buyer beware").
BOB RENTON

These products advertise intangibles with such expletives "best", "highest", more than", "lesser carbon foot print"
You forgot "up to".
Most say "can" increase "up to" 10 points.
10 octane points = 1 octane level at the gas pump.
Example:
"Gumout Octane Booster increases the octane of fuel by 8 points or by 0.8 levels." So 87 octane becomes 87.8 octane. You'd be better off just using 89.

Last edited:
You forgot "up to".
Most say "can" increase "up to" 10 points.
10 octane points = 1 octane level at the gas pump.
Example:
"Gumout Octane Booster increases the octane of fuel by 8 points or by 0.8 levels." So 87 octane becomes 87.8 octane. You'd be better off just using 89.

THANK YOU !!.....Yes, I forgot this "up to" expletive....sorry. and yes, your assessment of the effect of the adjustment to octane rating of pump gas thru the use of boosters is SPOT ON. But this fact is never representated or explained by the sellers......I wonder why?
BOB RENTON

use a blended sunoco Race fuel and 93 octane pump gas
THIS is the BEST way to raise octane in a reliable way, not that expensive, can be readily available depending on where you are. If the race or high octane fuel has lead in it, that would be a problem for catalytic converters. It's said that it can also build up on O2 sensors, and now that I have my Innovate Motorsports dual wideband O2 system installed, I guess I'd have to find a lead free alternative, if I ever needed it.
For my Roadrunner, 93 no ethanol premium gas works fine, and the same seems to be the case for the 421, now that the new forged aluminum pistons are in it. They're dished to bring it to 10.1:1 CR
but I still have to play with the timing to see if I'm losing some available grunt, which I believe I am. So the Pontiac may still benefit from a higher octane fuel than 93.

Surprised nobody's mentioned toluene. Get it at the paint store. Just DON'T dribble it on your nice paint (it is paint thinner, afterall) and don't get it on your skin or in your eyes, try your best not to breath the vapors and store it carefully..nasty stuff. Maybe that's why no one uses it anymore!

Blending of "Race Gas" octane booster, note wording 40 points of octane. Comments.
race gas1.JPG

Surprised nobody's mentioned toluene. Get it at the paint store. Just DON'T dribble it on your nice paint (it is paint thinner, afterall) and don't get it on your skin or in your eyes, try your best not to breath the vapors and store it carefully..nasty stuff. Maybe that's why no one uses it anymore!
Toluene and the other potent solvent, MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) are known carcinogenic chemicals that can diffuse thru the skin as well as being absorbed in the vapor state into the blood, and can cause liver failure and other problems. Is their use as an octane "booster" worth it? Personally, l think not, but it's up to the individual's own determination. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back