• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fellow project guys, would you do this full time?

thought about it, been asked to

naah,nope
i begin to think the enjoyment will be instantly sucked out of it
the moment the clock is ticking on me.

i know the amount of time it takes
to have it dead nuts nice and to do it right...
nobody will want to pay for it.

i would lose my shirt FAST..lol

the people who charge the crazy amounts of money to
restore a car properly deserve it.
it is not a easy way to make a living..

Nope! Wouldn't do it. People don't wan't to pay the money that it takes to do things properly. Also, IMO it would become too much of a chore rather than a pleasure.

Tough economy to be trying to making a living selling disposable income stuff. Paying the bills with it in this economy is trecherous waters. If you have plenty of work and customers it isnt an issue but the minute you get worried about the next job or sale the fun goes out the window and the stress replaces what was fun. Just something to think about...LOL
I would say go for it as long as you know the risks.

Thinking you can do it and actually making money at it are two different things..LOL

Right now, on my 1st rust-bucket restore, I'm addicted to it already and have barely begun. I'm spending money on it like a junky. Getting my biggest fix rush when the big brown truck pulls up to unload the weeks shipment of drugs/parts. I just hope in can stay that way at least until it's finished. But actually it really my therapy. I have to do something on it every night after work. I'm a shop-aholic, I love working in my shop. And YES I would love to do it for a living but it would be hard for me to let go of what I work so hard on.
..side note>"YOU CAN SPOT A RESTORE JUNKY BY THE ORANGE DRIVEWAY IN FRONT OF HIS GARAGE."

Attachments

• IMAG0818.jpg
    IMAG0818.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 223
Not sure what the market is like inyour area but my good friend here in Portland,Or does restos in his shop we built on his property. We both grew up working on cars and enjoyd it emensly. He went into bodywork and eventually opened up his own shop. He tells me now after about 20+ years of doing it he's about done with full restos. He says when its all said and done he makes around $12-15 an hour on them but the collision work for insurance jobs he can usually come out more in the $50 an hour range. Someone here brought up the fact of tied up shop space and that is a fact (time is money)! My friend just finished a '65 mustang that has been in his shop for over 3 years. A lot of times he has been there waiting for parts to arrive or someone else to finish their part of the car before he can continue his work. Its also hard on the body. Years ago he installed 2 lifts in his shop to save his back. He's had 2 back surgerys and still has complications so he has to be careful.
I ended up going into contracting and building and am glad I did. I enjoy my hobbies being my hobbies so they don't become my stress, they're my stress relievers. Although I know guys that have successfully turned their hobbies into their full time jobs, congrats to them.
Either way, good luck with your venture.

Thanks guys.

If I am to do this, my plan is to build and sell. No customers. I have actually been sidelining with this sort of thing off and on for many years, and I know that customers slow you down. I want to buy the right cars, build nice cars, and sell them. Nice clean, solid, functional and affordable cars.

Well, that's a whole new 'nother ball game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tough climate these days, we may be coming out of it but be prepared to be making minimum wage...

I'm not rushing into anything. I'll let you guys know if I make the transition.

I’d probably have to sell my roadrunner and some other toys to generate some starter cash…. Ouch.

Thanks guys.

If I am to do this, my plan is to build and sell. No customers. I have actually been sidelining with this sort of thing off and on for many years, and I know that customers slow you down. I want to buy the right cars, build nice cars, and sell them. Nice clean, solid, functional and affordable cars.

good luck!
you are going to need it!
almost all of the project cars i see for sale
are complete moneypits.
i can't see enough profit in it
to be able to pay your bills over time and eat....

I'm not rushing into anything. I'll let you guys know if I make the transition.

I’d probably have to sell my roadrunner and some other toys to generate some starter cash…. Ouch.
that is what i almost did.make sure you are ready to go from hobby to job.i am about to get back into that question again.have a buddy that just got a 1994 lambo diablo.he will foot the bill if i build it for the auction.gonna take a close look at this one,big chance to make some major money.may use that cash as seed money to do what you said earlyer.build cars and sell them,not restore for a customer.sounds like a safer idea as long as you have the cash to spare.

You can't make money on peoples hobbies especially the car hobby. Tread carefully Dave, this can cause great stress on a marriage and forget about all
your hunting and fishing trips. Try it as a side gig for a year or two.

Nope. I like to tinker at my own pace. Would hate to see it as work. But i,m old and lazy.

Man.......... as a business owner, I can say it's tough out there. It sounds so easy, but dealing with Employees, Customers and Vendors really gets old. Trying to find someone who can actually do decent work in a timely matter is a whole nuther story.

If you are young.... Go for it. If your having a midlife crisis... really think it over.

i have owned two companies. sold them both now i work for the man. i am way happier. and when i do do work for others it is completly at my own pace and price, or i just don't do it. one thing i learned owning my own place was just how much i had to comprimise to stay afloat! i am not someone who compromises well!

For the longest time i thought about turning my hobby into a busness my thoughts were to build hotrods/muscle cars for the working guy [folks who did not have lots of cash] but a deep passion for the cars as i have. My plan was to build low buck cars/trucks that were acceptable at cruise ins and competeitive at shows for a reasonable price just as i had done for myself all these years. Most of my personel builds have been low buck [under 10K] and were show worthy,my current project is a 73 charger and the most extensive build i have attempted so far, it is coming out good for a guy who did not know how to do any welding,body work,paint [always had it done]before this.But i changed my mind due to several reasons lack of inital funds to start up,customers constantly changing their minds,not wanting to let go of my hard work [becoming attached] and most importantly loosing my love for the hobby. So i just build for myself and share them with others at cruise ins. I do side jobs [suspension,brakes ect] just no full builds.

I own a small business that sells racing parts and spark plug wires..LOL
This is not a good time to be small and on your own I can tell you that. My first year I did close to a half mil ( gross) then things hit the fan and it declined steadily to last year being the lowest at 129k gross and I lost 24k on the year. Its tough sledding right now but I am optimistic. I would rather work 8x5 and collect a check than be where I am at this point. But you plow forward and hope for the best.

Such a gloomy attitude and thread! Sure, everyone is hurting on some level, some more, some less. John Balow at MCR told me personally face to face when starting the business to do it for profit, do NOT look at it as a hobby -- you'll fail that way as you will cut prices, do freebies for your buddies, etc. As we all know, his shop is top-notch quality, world renowned and builds the best cars hands down. All I can say is GOOD LUCK!!

Such a gloomy attitude and thread! Sure, everyone is hurting on some level, some more, some less. John Balow at MCR told me personally face to face when starting the business to do it for profit, do NOT look at it as a hobby -- you'll fail that way as you will cut prices, do freebies for your buddies, etc. As we all know, his shop is top-notch quality, world renowned and builds the best cars hands down. All I can say is GOOD LUCK!!

That alone ill bet is one of the biggest causes of a business failing with something like this, Ive heard this many times over.

Auto Transport Service
Back