• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fender impact bumpers 1973 dodge charger

Thomas Fell

Local time
6:41 PM
Reaction score
do you need the impact bumpers that bolted to the side of the fender and the bracket that went to the bumper or are they better off leaving them off or not needed? Its for a 1973 charger I am putting back together..

IMG_1033.JPG

They help keep the corners of the bumper positioned with the fenders. If you have them I would put them back on.

The Engineers have them there for a reason why not keep what was with the car when it was designed? I have mine on the car.

Do you need them, prolly not, but would I replace them ... yes.
I'd replace them as well as 73ege said, they are there for a reason. Hopefully you would never need them but the damage that would incur would most likely be more significant with out them. From my first 73 back in the day, I can attest to that.
I saw them many times at Carlisle this weekend. Not hard to find.

I think they are or will be reproducing the inserts so at least you won't have a big gap. You can also swap to the 71/72 bumper brackets to suck everything in.

I think they are or will be reproducing the inserts so at least you won't have a big gap. You can also swap to the 71/72 bumper brackets to suck everything in.
If you pull the bumpers back, won't the fender bumper pad cause issue with that? It would be nice if they would reproduce the filler strips that gap looks ugly.. I have 72 brackets for the rear, but I read that you couldn't use 71/2 brackets on the front because of the isolated k member

Sorry, thought he was talking about the filler strips. Photo didn't load the first time I read it. I believe they are or will be reproducing the fillers.

I am sure someone will comment on moving the bumpers in. I read a little bit after your post to see if I was remembering things right, opinions vary and one poor guy went through all of the trouble and then found out he couldn't mount his 71 grille inserts. All the more reason to reproduce the fillers.

Edit: Fmmpar on ebay was listing them, none up at the moment. There may have been another company making them, or I may have just seen them advertised in more than one place. And yes, the 'pads' are pretty common and fairly inexpensive.

Second Edit: Fmmpar has the rear sides and the rear center fillers, but you need to reuse your original hardware for the center. They are producing the front sides and center, and were hoping to have them in time for Carlisle (this past weekend). So if they did not debut them at the show, you should see them for sale shortly.

Last edited:
Sorry, thought he was talking about the filler strips. Photo didn't load the first time I read it. I believe they are or will be reproducing the fillers.

I am sure someone will comment on moving the bumpers in. I read a little bit after your post to see if I was remembering things right, opinions vary and one poor guy went through all of the trouble and then found out he couldn't mount his 71 grille inserts. All the more reason to reproduce the fillers.

Edit: Fmmpar on ebay was listing them, none up at the moment. There may have been another company making them, or I may have just seen them advertised in more than one place. And yes, the 'pads' are pretty common and fairly inexpensive.

Second Edit: Fmmpar has the rear sides and the rear center fillers, but you need to reuse your original hardware for the center. They are producing the front sides and center, and were hoping to have them in time for Carlisle (this past weekend). So if they did not debut them at the show, you should see them for sale shortly.
That would be awesome if they reproduced the filler strips.. maybe out of a better material than the originals :)

They are called: Impact Pads included in the entire bumper system working together adds up to the total spec to absorb a miner straight on square crash and to pass the 5mph bumper standards for 1973

If you got them use them if not I wouldn't worry about it to much! Ether way in a crash your going to destroy the fenders and front end these won't make much of a difference

Auto Transport Service
Back