• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiberglass goodies

Well, exactly 1 year later and recently both brackets popped right off the fiberglass while I was loading the kids bikes into the trunk. Turns out the Liquid Nails adhesive I used has become all brittle and failed. Adhesion wasn't a problem at all - the adhesive failed, leaving adhesive layers on both surfaces. DOH!

This time I used 3M 5200 marine adhesive, which is supposed to stay flexible instead of that LN crap. I'll post some pix in a little while.

Ok so here it is... don't know why I didn't think of it last year, but this year i followed the marine fellas, and just did what they do to adhere brackets to their hulls.

I know, a lot of guys are wondering why I won't 'glass the bracket in, I just don't know how well the resin will adhere to the aluminum... if I have another issue, I think I'll just use fasteners of some sort next time.

image.jpgimage.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, I wasn't as messy with the adhesive as it looks - a lot of the white you are seeing is white lithium grease which I coated the lumber with to keep it from sticking to the brackets.

- - - Updated - - -

Also took some time to repair some idiocy that a previous owner inflicted upon the fiberglass hood. Somebody had the brainwave to cut the structural support of the hood to (i guess) clear some rigged up brackets. So every time I went 50mph or more, the front driver side corner of the hold would flex up under wind load. Should be good now.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Why didn't you weld them on?
I hear you can weld aluminum to many different surfaces.

Last edited:
Hey bob, I finally got those fancy aluminum front bumper brackets installed - damn they are FEATHER WEIGHT. You were right - I can't believe how light they are. Stupid me didn't take a pic of them in the box, but I'll post a few pix of them on the car.

On a side note, this little project finally motivated me to mount my front marker lights which I've had in a drawer for 2 years.

Hey bob, I finally got those fancy aluminum front bumper brackets installed - damn they are FEATHER WEIGHT. You were right - I can't believe how light they are. Stupid me didn't take a pic of them in the box, but I'll post a few pix of them on the car.

On a side note, this little project finally motivated me to mount my front marker lights which I've had in a drawer for 2 years.

You should have told me. I have brackets and bumpers that would fit your car.

Hey Bob I want an aluminum bracket set for my 69. Do you have a set?

You should have told me. I have brackets and bumpers that would fit your car.

Ah well, I just figured you sent all that stuff along to the new owner of the gtx.

Do I spy a little mini tub action going on there?

Looks good. I think I would put 2 more fasteners, mirror imaged in though. I could see that bending up if you snagged something on it. I also like button head allen bolts. they have a more finished look than metal screws. Just my 2 cents.

Here we are 3 years later and the decklid is still doing great. Decided to finish the front and rear bumpers, originally considered chrome vinyl wrapping, and still might, but for now we are going matte black.

While I'm at it, I'm replacing the front hood pins and steel bumper hardware with gun drilled aluminum. Really just because i think it looks cool...

Hood pins I got from wehr's machine, the hood pin plates (is that even what they're called?) I got from allstar, and the aluminum carriage bolts / nuts / washers I got from Gateway Fasteners.

Glass rear bumper:
24lb to 3lb 11oz = 20lb 5oz savings

Glass rear brackets:
8lb to 14oz = 7lb 2oz

Glass deck lid:
47 lb steel to 17 lb = 30 lb

Alum front bumper brackets:
13lb 6oz to 2lb 6oz = 11 lb

Gun drilled alum bumper hardware:
1lb 9oz to 4 oz = 1lb 8oz savings

Gun drilled alum hood pins:
17oz - 8oz = 9oz savings

Glass front bumper:
20lb to 4lb 4oz = 15lb 12oz
(Just a guess - anyone know the weight of an OEM steel front bumper)

So now we're looking at about 86 lb savings. Not bad.

IMG_5385.JPG
IMG_5387.JPG
IMG_5368.JPG
IMG_5369.JPG
IMG_5302.JPG

Looks great...

I love the "Jackstands" use for holding stuff :lol:
on page 2 {?}

You're obviously saving as much weight as possible.
No motor = lots of weight savings

Auto Transport Service
Back