• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiberglass goodies

HT413

Semi Pro Bowler
Local time
8:41 PM
Reaction score
Just mocked up the fiberglass rear bumper and deck lid from glastek. Gotta say, the fit is excellent. No modifications - zero. So while I was at it, decided to fab some fiberglass bumper brackets, as the OEM units held the bumper a bit too far from the car for my taste. Should look much smoother now.

Anyone running a fiberglass deck lid? I have the crazy notion of mounting the deck lid to the eom hinges (no springs) and pinning it down. Maybe add a prop rod as well. The whole concept of this car is a crazy blend of street and strip, and with 3 young kids, I think I want the best of both worlds, glass deck lid, but not a lift off deal.

So I need some ideas for pinning, the rear pins look pretty straightforward, but the pins toward the front of the car might be a challenge. Maybe I'll use dzus fasteners instead? Don't know too much about them dzus's.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg

Very nice as they look real good ! Even the baby likes them. LoL. But yes they do look to fit real good ! Ron

how much if you don't mind me asking, might do front and rear bumper and deck lid one day

how much if you don't mind me asking, might do front and rear bumper and deck lid one day

No worries, Ben, I bought them from a member here and got a killer deal on them. If I recall, I paid $240 for the pair and was able to avoid shipping because he happened to live right on the way home from my summer vacation.

The pieces were new and unused because he bought them for spares and never ended up using them.

Yeah I'm pretty stoked about the brackets. I only just laid down the first layer of glass so they have a ways to go. I feel like I've learned so much since making my fiberglass shroud, these babies are really turning out nice.

Looks great! I see you already have your engine diaper too.

Are you talking about running four pins on the deck lid with 2 near the window and two at the back end and use hinges too? I don't see a need to run more than the two rear pins if you plan on using hinges. Haven't had much experience with glass but thinking about diving in and making some parts....

Are you talking about running four pins on the deck lid with 2 near the window and two at the back end and use hinges too? I don't see a need to run more than the two rear pins if you plan on using hinges. Haven't had much experience with glass but thinking about diving in and making some parts....

Yep that's exactly what I meant, crank. I was thinking I've always seen guys running 4 pins or like a dozen dzus fasteners so that's what I had to do. but I've never seen anyone use the hinges.

Yeah maybe I'll just use the 2 pins for now and see if it feels secure. Maybe cruise down the highway with my buddy in the back seat making sure it doesn't look like it's going to take flight lol.

https://www.up22.com/road68.htm

I purchased my front and rear bumpers from this vendor. Very reasonable.

Not to Hi-Jack the thread, I have to respectfully disagree,
Yes they were the most reasonable/cheapest, they are on the west coast too,
main reason I went with them again...
IIRC like $370ish for both front & rear bumpers PL-104 & PL-111 "delivered",
in like 3 weeks to NorCal, they're in SoCal,
I had purchased parts from them {Unlimited Products/Fiberglass} before,
for another project & didn't have any issues....
BUT
I got mine from them too, for my current 68 RR project,
I'm not sure how good yours actually were...
BUT
I would NOT recommend them now
{unless they have changed help since late summer 2013}
mine {both bumpers} they were not very good quality, the surface gelcoat was ok,
but the front bumpers were lacking the "molded lip" inside the holes/recesses for mounting the driving lights/blinkers on the front bumpers & all cuts were crocked as hell on both bumpers {looks like a damn 2 year old cut them out} from removing them from the molds it looks like, somewhat easy fix,
{I would NOT ever let something like that go out the door}
but they should be allot better straighter cuts at-least on, both the front & rear bumpers too...

I can fix all the issues but I really should have to...

IMHFO it would cost me more $$$ to ship back & forth, to have them fix the issues,
they wouldn't do it otherwise...
I just won't recommend them or buy from them anymore...

poor quality control, I'm not too sure about management/ownership either,
after dealing with the issues...

my $0.02 cents

- - - Updated - - -

Yep that's exactly what I meant, crank. I was thinking I've always seen guys running 4 pins or like a dozen dzus fasteners so that's what I had to do. but I've never seen anyone use the hinges.

Yeah maybe I'll just use the 2 pins for now and see if it feels secure. Maybe cruise down the highway with my buddy in the back seat making sure it doesn't look like it's going to take flight lol.

I'd say 2 pins should be more than plenty, especially if it's attached to the hinges in-front,
unless the deck-lid is really thin, with no understructure for strength, or something along those lines/style...

Dzuz fasteners are cleaner looking...
that's what I had on my last 68 RR, 7 of them 3 each side & 1 in the middle on the top,
but it was a lightweight lift off/race weight style deck-lid from US Body Source IIRC

there are some flush mount or twist lock or pop up styles hood latches too,
I've never used them, but would consider it,
{sorry don't remember the name brands, click on the photo, like your going to copy one of them, they have the names of web sites} few examples below
if I did a hinged style fiberglass deck-lid, no tools needed that way...

Google Search is your friend...LOL
I entered Hood latches & these were in the photos of them....

good luck, it looks good so far

Attachments

• Hood Latches Flush Mount blogs.popularhotrodding.com chrome.jpg
    Hood Latches Flush Mount blogs.popularhotrodding.com chrome.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 763
  • Hood Latches Flush Mount kteller.com carbon fiber black lockable.jpg
    Hood Latches Flush Mount kteller.com carbon fiber black lockable.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 752
  • Hood Latches Flush Mount ls1Tech.com carbon fiber black.jpg
    Hood Latches Flush Mount ls1Tech.com carbon fiber black.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 768
  • Hood Latches Flush Mount Quick-latch.com black.jpg
    Hood Latches Flush Mount Quick-latch.com black.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 758
  • Hood Latches Flush Mount yogisinc.com chrome.jpg
    Hood Latches Flush Mount yogisinc.com chrome.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 741
  • Hood Latches Flush Mount topspeedauto.com aluminum or chrome.jpg
    Hood Latches Flush Mount topspeedauto.com aluminum or chrome.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 760
HT ,
nice looking work
Budnicks,
I think everyone can have varying results . I have a UP22 hood I bought in 2007 . Nice condition had a chipped corner when I got it, this was shipped around the world in a container , has been on my daily driver since no worries , it does move a little with higher engine bay heat .
I bought bumpers(F & R) from another vendor in the mid west for the satellite - they supplied a front satellite and a front for a 68/9 Coronet ! Their reply was it was my fault , I was screwed as I am on the other side of the world .
As with many things you research and try to make the best decision

Tex

I'd say 2 pins should be more than plenty, especially if it's attached to the hinges in-front,
unless the deck-lid is really thin, with no understructure for strength, or something along those lines/style...

Dzuz fasteners are cleaner looking...
that's what I had on my last 68 RR, 7 of them 3 each side & 1 in the middle on the top,
but it was a lightweight lift off/race weight style deck-lid from US Body Source IIRC

there are some flush mount or twist lock or pop up styles hood latches too,
I've never used them, but would consider it,
{sorry don't remember the name brands, click on the photo, like your going to copy one of them, they have the names of web sites} few examples below
if I did a hinged style fiberglass deck-lid, no tools needed that way...

Google Search is your friend...LOL
I entered Hood latches & these were in the photos of them....

good luck, it looks good so far

Thanks, bud, for the input. Two pins it is My next trick is to glass in some mounting points for the hinges, should be loads of fun. I'll have to see how stiff the deck lid turns out once Im done.

Btw, boy are some of those systems are spendy - $300 a pair. :icon_eek:

I've been thinking about going with these sliding pin set ups. No tools, no pin to lose or lanyard to scratch. Though they might look a little European for an American muscle car IMHO (no insult intended to my European friends lol). Or maybe I'll just go with the traditional pins.

View attachment 213288

I have a UP bolt on hood on my 66 Belvedere and it only has 2 pins in the front. It's also a piece of crap but it's stayed on the car but has never seen anything over 100 mph. Had to reinforce the front edge because it was trying to flip up. It's thin and light and the finish sucks. Bought it over 20 years ago.

I just put a fiberglas trunk lid on my 65 Coronet AWB using the stock hinges....I fiberglassed a piece of angle iron to the bottom of the trunk for the stock hinges to bolt to...put two threaded holes in the angle iron to bolt to stock hinges...works great...put two Dzus fastners to hold it shut and built a prop rod to hold it open...can post pictures if you want....

I just put a fiberglas trunk lid on my 65 Coronet AWB using the stock hinges....I fiberglassed a piece of angle iron to the bottom of the trunk for the stock hinges to bolt to...put two threaded holes in the angle iron to bolt to stock hinges...works great...put two Dzus fastners to hold it shut and built a prop rod to hold it open...can post pictures if you want....

Farley, that's exactly what I'm looking to do, thanks for chiming in. Yeah, pictures would be great.

Glad to see the trunk and bumper mounted on something. They look great, also great work on those bumper brackets, I really need to do that for my front bumper too.

-Mark

You should have no problem on the trunk. I only run 2 hood pins in the front of my glass hood on my 63. And its a race type hood as its not enough meat to use hood hindges even if I wanted to in the back of it. It looks to be a fairley light hood as I was thinking I may have to add a center pin in the front but I have not had to. It does not lift in the front center at all even at 125 mph in the traps so I would think you will be fine on your trunk. Ron

397256718.gif

Glad to see the trunk and bumper mounted on something. They look great, also great work on those bumper brackets, I really need to do that for my front bumper too.

-Mark

Thanks again mark for the pieces. Those glastek pieces are great, nice edges and really straight. unlike the front bumper that came on my car, not sure the make but it is still unpainted and is actually see through in some places, the bumper has a little twist and warp to it and the cutouts look like they were done with a Sheetrock saw.

I've been looking at the front mounts as well. Like you said when I stopped by, the fronts are a lot more involved. I was thinking of maybe trying a fiberglass unit with some angle or box aluminum reinforcement. But that'll be a project for this winter as I wait to save enough cash for the engine build.

- - - Updated - - -

Tonight I plan on pulling the rear seat so I can get in there and mock up the hinge placement and start planning the angle iron reinforcement.

I also have a cool idea for mounting the pin brackets to the body. I don't like the $45 units it seems everyone is selling so I found some cool anodized aluminum gusset brackets for like $7 a pop. I'll post a pic later.

image.jpgLooks great, Farley. That is exactly what I'm planning. Thanks for the pix.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the bracket I'm planning on using to mount the pin to the car.

View attachment 213470Looks great, Farley. That is exactly what I'm planning. Thanks for the pix.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the bracket I'm planning on using to mount the pin to the car.

Got them for $2.50 each!!! Ha ha

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the latch I went with, self contained and no tools.

image.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back