• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

finally got the stroker running......

benno440

Local time
5:13 AM
Reaction score
i have emailed "racepumps" to see what they say but wanted to get you guys opinions as well

got the engine going by pouring fuel in the dual quad float bowls and filling up the fuel lines, it ran for about 1 min the big flame out the carbs and died checked the fuel lines and there dry, i cant seem to get fuel up to them i have one of those race pumps with regulator and i am stuck, here is a drawing of my setup let me know what might be causing my dramas i.e wrong fuel pushrod (it is brand new one for the 440 i ordered from summit it is edelbrock brand) i am lost at the moment. car is a 68 dodge charger with a 440-505 manual
car_zpsed74f1db.jpg

i havent checked but i am hoping so as every line is brand new.

i will check though

Fuel pressure gauge to confirm fuel pump is working and 9 psi at the regulator? Isn't 9 psi a little high? I thought 6 psi.
Mechanical pump, not electric, right?
100 micron filter before the pump?

Yeah, you're right 65Hemi, 9 is high. Should be more like 6-7PSI, usually preset at that on the regulator. Test your fuel pump and line Benno. Disconnect the fuel line before the regulator but after the fuel pump, run the fuel line into a jar or something and crank it over...see if fuel comes out. No fuel there, find a low spot in the line before the fuel pump or disconnect the moroso fuel filter and see if you can either get fuel to feed out or Siphon fuel out...... From there you should be able to weed out where the issue may be steming from be it pump, regulator, filter, line or some other area.

Couple other things to check....Is your fuel regulator in the proper direction ie* Proper line to inlet, proper to outlet? Not familiar with the Moroso filter, but that may be directional as well? Was the fuel sending unit installed right side up? (Seen people do it upside down believe it or not)

great ideas from prop as usual.if that dont work,try blowing air back towards the tank with the cap off while someone listens at the filler neck.he should here bubbles from inside the gas tank.blow the air by mouth from just before your fuel pump.that will check for obstructions and make sure your pickup is in the fuel.

thanks guys will check all this tonite, yeh racepumps told me 9 psi wont work with edelbrocks and i need to turn it back to 7 psi.

much appreciated

Is the engine even broken in yet? If not, I would see if you could get or use an electric fuel pump and break it in. Then worry about getting the mechanical pump working. To check the mechanical pump you would have to crank the engine over and check how much vacuum it draws. You could take this reading both at the fuel pump inlet and back at the tank.

Auto Transport Service
Back