• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally time to pull the trigger . . . starting on the New (much anticipated) SHOP - Build

The trip from HELL . . . .

. . . coming soon . . .

I am not being critical but I saw something that I wanted to mention.
This picture with the metal brackets:

sm_shop228-jpg.jpg

We use them out here in California too but not with screws. Building codes here require nails because the nails will deform before they break. Most screws are brittle and snap long before they bend.
Simpson does make special screws that are softer than regular screws. Our building code accepts them as an alternative to nails but they are about double the cost so nobody I know uses them.
Maybe you already used approved screws and I missed any mention of it. Also, the codes may be different in your area than they are out here. We have to build to a high level of earthquake standards so our practices may seem extreme to people in other regions.
Good luck with the project.

I am not being critical but I saw something that I wanted to mention.
This picture with the metal brackets:

View attachment 1196861

We use them out here in California too but not with screws. Building codes here require nails because the nails will deform before they break. Most screws are brittle and snap long before they bend.
Simpson does make special screws that are softer than regular screws. Our building code accepts them as an alternative to nails but they are about double the cost so nobody I know uses them.
Maybe you already used approved screws and I missed any mention of it. Also, the codes may be different in your area than they are out here. We have to build to a high level of earthquake standards so our practices may seem extreme to people in other regions.
Good luck with the project.

My concern with nails was that they can be pulled out "easily" . . . or at least easier than any screw could be pulled out. Could I use nails - I actually did on my carport - until I saw that Simpson offers a quality screw to anchor these things into the wood.

Note: Nails are providing a "shear" force with the metal . . . so they will be very strong - just that a screw increases that shear force since they are less likely to be pulled out than a nail could be . . . my installation is using the Simpson screws too

Update: forgot I told you this, and not the thread - Don't think that these are even required in NC - we don't usually get Hurricanes, but Hugo did hit here and do a lot of damage - but we do get tornados, and I guess I'm going to play it safe with all my shop equipment and install them even if it's going to cost me a few more dollars in the long run . . . I think it's worth the extra cost.

Could have used nails but my "motto" is BSH . . .
so I went with the screws - might look at the cost difference ( if I have time )

Just like the roofing, they offered it in 29 gauge . . . but, if you got a different type of panel, it came in 24 gauge and 29 gauge . . .
- actually like the panel better - so the roofing metal is 24 gauge.

Now - actually - wanted the raised seam 24 gauge, with hidden fasteners - but it would have cost me 2X the cost - SURE, these panels will do a great job.

Thanks for offering up professional advice - that's what makes this site so cool ! ! !

Busy day, but short on daylight . . . hate this aspect of Winter . . . but Progress !

Trying to get everything done, with the limited amount of daylight really sucks . . . doing my best.

Here's the update:

Got my load of lumber hauled in yesterday . . .

sm_shop233.jpg

Here's the stack of 12' that will be used as the walls for the next part - the center section
( and some miscellaneous stuff as needed - like the garage door header . . . )

sm_shop235.jpg

Just as I got the stacks of lumber "gone" - a new stack shows up in it's place . . . ready for more work !
Those are the 16' for the bottom/tops of the wall section/diagonals/ and my missing rafters

sm_shop236.jpg

And the 4/4 that will be used for the purlins to attach the metal roofing . . .

sm_shop237.jpg

Purlins and roofing stacks . . .

sm_shop238.jpg

Now I got to make some progress on this build . . . got a LONG weekend with Thanksgiving . . .
Looking forward to some good updates on my progress . . .

More later . . .

Update: forgot I told you this, and not the thread - Don't think that these are even required in NC - we don't usually get Hurricanes, but Hugo did hit here and do a lot of damage - but we do get tornados, and I guess I'm going to play it safe with all my shop equipment and install them even if it's going to cost me a few more dollars in the long run . . . I think it's worth the extra cost.

Hurricane clips are a misnomer they actually work against wind uplift that happens when wind speeds exceed a specified miles per hours. The clips are required by codes throughout the country since about 20 years ago.

Hurricane Ike went through Ohio in 2008. No rain just the wind. Hurricanes are possible anywhere.

Last edited:
I always have a box of the Simpson screws around.. Great size and easy to use

Thanksgiving Day and I'm Back at it . . .

First . . . was wondering of my prolonged delay was going to hinder my progress . . . we'll find out.
Second . . . Do you know how hard it is to work on the shop with a stomach full of turkey and fixings ? ! ?

Made some really good progress today on the build . . .
Got ALL of the missing rafters installed, INCLUDING the ones where the shop roof was in the way . . .
( figured out a really easy way to make it happen . . . you'll like this . . . )

First, the middle one of the 3 - fit into place untouched - sometimes is better to be "lucky" than to be "good" . . .

sm_shop239.jpg

Fit like a glove . . . unbelievable . . .

sm_shop240.jpg

The next two were simple cut to fit up next to the shop eaves . . .
In the end, they "might" need to be cut again when the center section goes up . . . but they're all installed now.

sm_shop241.jpg

And I've build the end piece with the 2' overhang - will need to fill in the gaps next . . .

sm_shop242.jpg

Really happy with my progress and the way its all coming together . . .

sm_shop243.jpg

But . . . I'm feeling it today - and I've got 3 more days to get some work done on this thing too ! !

Next . . . fill in some spaces . . . got a LOAD of hurricane straps that need to be installed . . .
And then . . . onto the purlins . . . followed by the metal roofing ! ! !

More later . . .

Looking good Larry. We could never get away with tying 2 building together like that around here. The frost causing the ground to heave would raise hell with the joint after the first winter.

Looking good Larry. We could never get away with tying 2 building together like that around here. The frost causing the ground to heave would raise hell with the joint after the first winter.
Yeah, all these projects I've built over the years surrounding the house were all intended to be "snug" yet
free-standing - and they are, although you'd never know it to look at them.
Since we're on the side of a ridge up here, the ground does move a bit, especially since the main building
pad originally was cut into the slope to have a level spot.
As one would expect, "back" side cut into the slope is rock-solid; the "front" fill side has required a couple
of re-leveling efforts over the decades on structures as it settles.

Joel . . . Not planning on tying these two buildings together. Once this is done, I'm moving the contents into this building, and dismantling the other one . . . Then I'll build the next piece of the shop, where it's side wall will also be the center section side wall.

Basically, the old shop is in my way . . So I'm trying to rebuild a new shop and get rid of the old one (probably relocate it) in the process. The old shop is in the "best" location . . And in my way.

It would have been best if it wasn't there . . . but then I would have not had this little shop for the past 14 years . . .

Joel . . . Not planning on timing these two buildings together. Once this is done, I'm moving the contents into this building, and dismantling the other one . . . Then I'll build the next piece of the shop, where it's side wall will also be the center section side wall.

Basically, the old shop is in my way . . So I'm trying to rebuild a new shop and get rid of the old one (probably relocate it) in the process. The old shop is in the "best" location . . And in my way.
Brilliant!
thinking.jpg

Another day . . . more progress . . .

But the temps dropped a bit, that would not have been too bad, but the wind was cutting . . .

This is how it looked last night . . .

sm_shop243.jpg

And this is how it looks with the blocking filled in at the top of the wall . . .

sm_shop244.jpg

Also got all of the blocking added into the "shorter" wall, and a couple done on the tall wall . . .
Tomorrow will be attacking the "tall" wall to get all of the blocking installed there too . . .

sm_shop245.jpg

She's coming together . . . slowly but surely . . . still need to get my garage door framed in . . .
still waiting on prices and availability on garage doors . . . want to make sure I can get it in a reasonable amount of time.
Looking at 8' tall . . . or 9' tall . . . which ever can be delivered faster . . .

sm_shop246.jpg

The wind, plus the fact that every piece was climbing up and down ladders, and that slowed things down a bit . . .
Word is that the temps are supposed to be in the 60 on Sunday . . . Hopefully, with no wind . . .
Blocking and (hopefully) the start of the purlins for tomorrow . . .

More later . . .

Good day / Frustrating Day / More Progress . . . things to figure out . . .

The temps were a little warmer than yesterday, but not as much wind, so it was nice weather to build . . .

Thinking about the build last night, and I realized that I had installed the "tall" blocking incorrectly . . .
This is what I had done with - thank goodness it was only a few - 6 bays . . .

sm_shop247.jpg

This is what I needed to do with them . . . the problem . . .
When I get the trusses for the center section - they need to rest on the top of the double plates . . .

sm_shop248.jpg

Problem fixed . . . only took about an hour . . . then on to the rest . . . finished up all of them on the "tall" wall . . . BUT

sm_shop249.jpg

Here's my little buddy, outside with me (like usual), doing what he does best . . . keeping an eye out for my safety . . .
Well . . . at least I thought that's what he was doing . . . the slacker ! ! ! LOL
(he's old . . . I'll give him that)

sm_shop250.jpg

Found this very interesting . . . you can see how the wood is drying - still wet on the inside
But it seems to be drying very quickly - at least quicker than I had expected . . .

sm_shop251.jpg

Then, when I got to the end of the "tall" wall . . . I ran into "problem" #2 for the day ( not having a good day ) . . .
Can you see the problem . . .

sm_shop252.jpg

Was bound and determined to get to the purlins today . . . and I made sure that I did . . .
Got the first couple of them up and installed on the rafters . . .

sm_shop253.jpg

And the view from the top . . . got quite a few more to go . . . but it's moving along . . .
And they're calling for temps in the 60 down here tomorrow . . . I can't wait ! ! !

sm_shop254.jpg

Did you see the 2nd problem ? ? ?

The hurricane straps . . . by moving the blocking inside the header - I don't have a way to install the straps . . .
SHOULD have got them all installed prior to doing the blocking, and I would have reversed them . . . but it's too late now . . .
Now I'll have to come up with a new plan for getting them installed . . .
Hopefully NOT undoing all the work that I have installing the blocking in the first place (but it might take just that ) . . . UGH !

More later . . .

Try these.

They fit either side of the rafter.

2.5.jpg

The Simpson H 2.5 actually is rated higher to resist uplift but is not rated as high for lateral resistance. The uplift is of higher importance where high winds events are more common. Lateral resistance is more important out west because of the earthquakes.
We use the H 1 clips everywhere except where clearance is too tight to fill all the nail holes. Sometimes you can't even get a palm nailer in to drive the nails.
The H 2.5s fit left and right sides. Just be sure to install them so they don't hang too low and interfere with the drywall.

The Simpson H 2.5 actually is rated higher to resist uplift but is not rated as high for lateral resistance. The uplift is of higher importance where high winds events are more common. Lateral resistance is more important out west because of the earthquakes.
We use the H 1 clips everywhere except where clearance is too tight to fill all the nail holes. Sometimes you can't even get a palm nailer in to drive the nails.
The H 2.5s fit left and right sides. Just be sure to install them so they don't hang too low and interfere with the drywall.

Bought some of them with the "hope" that they would work . . . Thanks for that insight.

Very Interesting Day . . . spent most of it on top of the shop for a change of pace . . .

Still making progress, and the warmer temp today helped a bit . . . but I thought I was going to get more done than I did . . .

First, got started and installed all of the hurricane straps on the "short" wall and front wall ( not the "tall" wall - yet)
Truth be told, should have used the limited daylight to work on the purlins . . . too late now . . .

sm_shop255.jpg

Figured it would be easier to work on top the shop, then to keep climbing up and down, so I tossed a bunch
of the boards up on to so that they'd be available when I needed them - seemed like a plan . . .

sm_shop256.jpg

Then when I got to the back corner, I realized the tree branch was in the way . . .

sm_shop257.jpg

So it had to be taken down to get it out of my way . . . add it to the firewood stack . . .

sm_shop258.jpg

Then I spent most of the day on top of the shop, working on the purlins . . . and the daylight disappeared
fairly quickly . . . so I apologize for the "bad" pictures, but my guess is that I'm about 1/2 way with them . . .

sm_shop259.jpg

Hard to tell with the lack of daylight . . . but I'm liking the progress . . .

sm_shop260.jpg

Sure was an odd day, working in the air like that, and I've not done that for a long time. Took quite a while to
get even close to being "comfortable" up there walking around . . . good part was crawling around . . .
And I realized . . . I'm not 20 anymore . . . and I'm feeling it after these 4 days of construction . . .

More later . . .

I love working up on roofs.

It has been my specialty for most of my career. Cut stack conventional and truss. Good balance is not always a natural trait. For many, it has to be learned.
I wasn't comfortable up top at first. Some get nervous walking on bare framing. I'd guess that most people would.
I can't interpret a spread sheet or pick stocks. We all have our good and bad points.
I've never worked on a roof where it was to be sheeted with metal. I'll bet it lasts a lot longer than shingles do for less money.

Auto Transport Service
Back