• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally time to pull the trigger . . . starting on the New (much anticipated) SHOP - Build

I'm not sure if this is rhetorical. If not, here is what I thought of:
*The face boards could be removed...the ones that would sit below the header. This would allow you to use a hand crank hoist to just lift the header in place....straight up to where it needs to be.
* Two Simpson HUC hangers can sometimes be enough to retain the header depending on size and span. One could be attached to one king stud that is left in place, the other can be attached to the other king stud cut loose at the top and tilted away. This would allow you to raise the header up using the hand crank hoist, slide it into the HUC hanger on the fixed side, then slap the other king stud over and nail everything off.
The HUC term refers to "Hanger with concealed flange"
View attachment 1506065

This allows you to attach a 6x header to a 2x6 wall. The same applies to a 4x hanger and a 2x4 wall.

Hand crank beam lifts can be rented....

View attachment 1506066

it was rhetorical . . . Already figured out how to get 'er done . . .

Personally . . .

I would NOT put it together with those brackets - I would not feel comfortable with them
( but what they had in place was not much better )

Will be posting pics and description of what was done . . . soon . . .

Those hangers are designed to hold incredible amounts of weight. We have used them in commercial construction for years.

Finishing off the finish work on the "moved" garage . . . finally . . .

It's been a while in the process, but getting back to getting this completed needs to be done . . .
When I stated, "how will the header get into place" . . . the plan was already determined and executed . . .

Let's take a look - what made me decide to add in the header . . . in the first place . . .

First take a look at what this building had in place for a "header" ( and the term is used very loosely)
- a single 2x4 and vertical studs to frame up the wall - support ability . . . Nearly "minimal" at best . . .

sm_shop1015.jpg

Take a good look at the gap that is above the new header - 1" clearance at the left - touching in the middle . . .

sm_shop1016.jpg

Now it's starting to look like a more completed project . . . be nice to get it all wrapped up and done !

sm_shop1017.jpg

Came back and lifted up the wall, and got some spacers installed ( in line with the 2x4 studs above )
To help hold up the wall . . .

- code calls for a double 2x6 for this 8 foot span . . . my addition is a triple 2x10 . . . BSH style ! ! !

sm_shop1018.jpg

Got the window orders and installed ! ! ! Yay ! ! !

sm_shop1019.jpg

You saw this already, but even got the header painted so it actually looks like it's part of the building . . .

sm_shop1020.jpg

This side of garage door had (3) 2x4's in the wall - 2 of them got removed and the header sits atop the other (2)
- what you see here is the 3rd 2x10 that is sistered to the other two plus spanning 2 additional studs for support.
overkill ? ? ? maybe . . . but BSH style . . .

sm_shop1021.jpg

Now when I asked - how will it get put into place - if both sides were 2 deep 2x4 pockets, it would NOT happen
- just like the rest of this building, this side of the door ONLY had 2 2x4 studs in place ( and my life saver )
- was able to remove the (2) 2x4 studs, the thickness of the header and get it ready for the install . . .
- next - slid the header into the opening far enough to allow it to be moved "back" into the pocket on the other side !
- after that was done, an additional king stud was added ( the very new piece of lumber ) seen on the left

- lastly - the 3rd 2x10x12 was sistered up to the supported header, and screwed into place - Much better than before !

sm_shop1022.jpg

It might seem like overkill, but at least I know that building will not be collapsing on me anytime in the near future.
Or - ever. The weight of the header fully resting on 2 2x4s that are fully resting on the ground . . .
- is so much better ( and in my mind safer ) then the brackets that were proposed ( yeah - they may be OK )
- but I'd prefer to have a nice solid base holding the header ( and the roof ) in place . . .

Now I get to go back and redo the garage door . . . and get it functional again . . . when the center moved up 1",
the bar for the spring had a bow in it - and needed to be moved ( remove all the tension - move it - redo the spring )

Still got to get the spring redone . . .

More Later . . .

Had a slight break in the heat . . . but we're back up to cooking temps again . . . sheeesh . . .

This heat is tough ! But I'm still making progress on the build . . .
Just not getting time to get this stuff posted as my Golf League has been keeping me extra BUSY too . . .

Now for the updates . . .

Finally got his thing completed . . . Note to SELF . . .
If I EVER decide to make something octagonal with block again . . . hit me up side the head ! ! ! Please ! ! !

sm_shop1023.jpg

Since this shop does not have power yet - I decided that I'd like to put a chain hoist on the door . . .
Got enough room to make it happen . . .I'm pretty sure . . .

sm_shop1024.jpg

Ordered the unit . . .and - guess what - Looks like it'll work . . . BUT . . .
The unit has a keyway in it . . . and the garage door hollow tubing . . . so, I had to think this through . . .

sm_shop1025.jpg

As for fitting - it looks great and fits up there nicely . . . Now for the keyway problem . . .

sm_shop1026.jpg

Took a piece of 1" solid bar stock and cut a grove ( by had - with an angle grinder ) - only option . ..
- Sorry - the bridgeport is in the other garage in storage until this shop is completed
- actually didn't turn out that badly . . . turned down 1/2 the shaft to be a press fit into the tubing . . .

sm_shop1027.jpg

Plan is . . . get this hammered into the tubing, and then have a means to catch the keyway . . . I hope . . .

sm_shop1028.jpg

Actually - could not have worked out any better ( even with the hand cut grove ) - call it a WIN !

sm_shop1029.jpg

It's getting the time . . . another load of crush-and-run gets delivered . . .

sm_shop1030.jpg

And the foundation has been worked on to get it to a hopefully consistent level for concrete . . .

sm_shop1031.jpg

And . . . the installation of the rebar and wire mesh is beginning . . . we're getting there ! ! ! Slowly, but surely ! !

sm_shop1032.jpg

Got a shipment of more rebar and metal mesh being delivered on Tuesday for the rest of this foundation.
LOT of work left ahead of me, but it's moving along and I'm seeing concrete might be getting poured "soon" . . .

Getting anxious . . . that's for sure . . .

More Later . . .

I am impresses with all you are able to do yourself - good job!!! :thumbsup:

Haven't been on here much lately but figured I'd check on your progress, the little garage looks way better than it did especially with the useful addition. So is this the last of your concrete work, looks like the other 2 sections are blocked?

I am impresses with all you are able to do yourself - good job!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks . . . it's the only way I know that it'll get done . . . one step atta time . . . getting close ( but this heat is just BRUTAL ! )

Haven't been on here much lately but figured I'd check on your progress, the little garage looks way better than it did especially with the useful addition. So is this the last of your concrete work, looks like the other 2 sections are blocked?

Yeah - going to do the rest of the floor in a single pour and be done with it . . . then add the middle wall where needed . . .

The little garage will eventually get the lean to that was on the back of it originally - on the side where the ground is built up . . . eventually . . .

Last edited:
More progress . . . hope that some relief is on the horizon for this HEAT WAVE . . .

It's been brutal . . .

So the materials have been delivered to get the foundation set up ( like this ) for the pour . . .

sm_shop1032.jpg

Had a little issue with the back wall - and I'm not quite sure how I managed it . . . but it's resolved now . . .
Also added rebar to the block for a little additional strength . . . . .

sm_shop1033.jpg

Got the front gutter up an functional on the shop . . . even got the downspout water, set up and running under
ground . . . and dumping out behind the shop . . . I'll get a pic of that . . .

sm_shop1034.jpg

So . . . the next plan of attack is the metal mesh and rebar setup for the concrete pour . . .

That'll keep me busy for a bit . . . but hopefully, no TOO LONG . . .

More Later . . .

Great progress this past week . . . and a little break in the heat helped . . .

First of all, got my shop supplies delivered this week, to allow me to continue with the foundation . . .
Rebar - between the stacks of lumber and the metal mesh - both for the concrete . . .

sm_shop1035.jpg

Had (1) tree that was a bit too close to the shop for my liking . . . got to use a new toy for the tractor . . .
This thing is pretty cool . . . the light weight of the tractor doesn't help, but you can pic your way thru the roots

sm_shop1036.jpg

And the final result . . . it "had" to fall on the foundation . . . go figure . . . It's already cut up and no damage

sm_shop1037.jpg

Now - on to the rebar . . . drilling holes in the blocks to add additional strength and tie it ALL together . . .

sm_shop1038.jpg

These are being placed 5' on center for the width of the metal mesh . . . they are 5 x 10 . . .

sm_shop1039.jpg

Then here is where I wish I would have made a very minor change . . . but this should work out alright . . .
Put these - also - on 5' spacings . . . but the 10 foot length included both side with 6" of metal strands extending
Really wish I would have shrunk these up 1" to allow a little more space to tie the mesh to the rebar . . .

sm_shop1040.jpg

And now . . . the first of 40 wire mesh panels has been put into place . . . and the work is moving along . . .
Even got an extra day this weekend - Labor Day Monday . . . Might be calling for Concrete this week . . .

sm_shop1041.jpg

At this point, I've got about 1/3 of the rebar in place, but it's going faster now that I've got a plan . . .

sm_shop1043.jpg

And the missing tree . . . probably have a picture further back in this build with that tree in place . . .

sm_shop1044.jpg

And now a little break for all the work to show you something pretty cool . . . ( at least I think it is )

Went to lunch on Friday . . . and saw this pull up . . . this thing is AWESOME . . .
- Built on the 4 door Jeep as a base - Has the Hellcat engine in it . . . 6 x 6 . . .
- guy said it was built in Miami Florida . . . looked it up . . . yours for "only" . . . $200,000 . . . TOO COOL ! ! !

sm_shop1042.jpg

Should be able to do a major hurting on this project now that the plan has been decide . . . and the work is already
progressing pretty nicely . . .
- got to move that roll up door off the slab - as well as my concrete mixer . . .
- want to drill into the slab and tie the slab to the rebar and mesh to hold it all together too ( might weld it too )

More Later . . .

Working on the concrete pour, and had a minor change in plans . . .

The "plan" was to get the foundation for the shop done and ready for the pour . . .
Asked my concrete guy to come and look at the work . . . is is ready . . .

Well . . . he did NOT like the concrete pad in the middle of the foundation,
his words . . . we need to remove it or the concrete will crack . . .

heartbreaking . . . after all that work . . . BUT . . . I have need for concrete elsewhere . . .

So, now we're looking at a 2 phase plane . . . 1 - Moved building, 2 - new shop . . .
And . . . he's coming back in a week to do the pour . . . ( OH SH*T . . . )
So I've got my work cut out for me . . . which is why you've seen no posts lately . . .

Didn't like the original way that I had this set up for storage . . . so it got re-done . . .

sm_shop1045.jpg

This was slated for a 6' pad out from the building . . . but the ground needs a little work for that to happen
( or ALL the water will end up IN the shop . . . )

sm_shop1046.jpg

Finally got this all wrapped up and ready for the pour . . .

sm_shop1047.jpg

While they're here . . . might as well add a pad here so I'm not waling in mud . . . dig it out . . .

sm_shop1048.jpg

Frame it up, get some gravel in place, pack it down . . . and it's ready ( this was an add on )

sm_shop1049.jpg

Also, part of phase 1 - removal of the concrete slab . . . I let them handle this ( this is the way to do it )
- this brought up a very concerning item as the pad was removed . . .

sm_shop1050.jpg

So the time has finally come . . . they just backed the truck into the garage and got started . . .
( not really - but that's what this picture looks like . . . )

sm_shop1051.jpg

And we're off to the races . . . this is such a pretty site to see . . . after all this work . . . FINALLY ! ! !

sm_shop1052.jpg

And the beginning of the finish work . . . floating in the edges and getting all the concrete level . . .

sm_shop1053.jpg

As I said, this was "slated" for 6' . . . but when I laid it out, I was not very happy with it . . . so it's now 8'
And . . . MUCH better . . .

sm_shop1054.jpg

Now for the problem . . . when the pad was busted up and removed, it had a LOT of very wet soil under it.
So removing the pad actually save me from having some bad stuff happen to my shop . . . and MORE work . . .

Phase 2
- remove the wet mud from the foundation
- refill it with crush-and-run and get it compacted
- reset all the rebar that had to be moved to break out the pad
- get all the wire mesh set in place
- be ready - for Next Friday . . . to have the other part of the shop poured ! ! !

More Later . . .

Working on the concrete pour, and had a minor change in plans . . .

The "plan" was to get the foundation for the shop done and ready for the pour . . .
Asked my concrete guy to come and look at the work . . . is is ready . . .

Well . . . he did NOT like the concrete pad in the middle of the foundation,
his words . . . we need to remove it or the concrete will crack . . .

heartbreaking . . . after all that work . . . BUT . . . I have need for concrete elsewhere . . .

So, now we're looking at a 2 phase plane . . . 1 - Moved building, 2 - new shop . . .
And . . . he's coming back in a week to do the pour . . . ( OH SH*T . . . )
So I've got my work cut out for me . . . which is why you've seen no posts lately . . .

Didn't like the original way that I had this set up for storage . . . so it got re-done . . .

View attachment 1525549

This was slated for a 6' pad out from the building . . . but the ground needs a little work for that to happen
( or ALL the water will end up IN the shop . . . )

View attachment 1525550

Finally got this all wrapped up and ready for the pour . . .

View attachment 1525551

While they're here . . . might as well add a pad here so I'm not waling in mud . . . dig it out . . .

View attachment 1525552

Frame it up, get some gravel in place, pack it down . . . and it's ready ( this was an add on )

View attachment 1525553

Also, part of phase 1 - removal of the concrete slab . . . I let them handle this ( this is the way to do it )
- this brought up a very concerning item as the pad was removed . . .

View attachment 1525554

So the time has finally come . . . they just backed the truck into the garage and got started . . .
( not really - but that's what this picture looks like . . . )

View attachment 1525555

And we're off to the races . . . this is such a pretty site to see . . . after all this work . . . FINALLY ! ! !

View attachment 1525556

And the beginning of the finish work . . . floating in the edges and getting all the concrete level . . .

View attachment 1525557

As I said, this was "slated" for 6' . . . but when I laid it out, I was not very happy with it . . . so it's now 8'
And . . . MUCH better . . .

View attachment 1525558

Now for the problem . . . when the pad was busted up and removed, it had a LOT of very wet soil under it.
So removing the pad actually save me from having some bad stuff happen to my shop . . . and MORE work . . .

Phase 2
- remove the wet mud from the foundation
- refill it with crush-and-run and get it compacted
- reset all the rebar that had to be moved to break out the pad
- get all the wire mesh set in place
- be ready - for Next Friday . . . to have the other part of the shop poured ! ! !

More Later . . .
Oh wow, you are in to one! I wish I had the ability to pop down and help, but unfortunately my wife and I are heading on vacation in a couple of days.

Just put one foot in front of the other and chip away at the work list (pun intended).

Best of luck and keep your chin up!

Sucks to have to redo the work Larry....but as you said....it will save a heartache later on.

Hope it all goes well during the week for you. :thumbsup:

And the big day . . . is tomorrow . . . the floor of the shop is getting poured . . .

The day that has seemed to go on and take forever is finally going to be here . . .

But first . . . here's the results of last weeks work . . .

sm_shop1058.jpg

So glad to finally have that in concrete . . . and now the shop floor tomorrow . . .
I think I'm actually all ready for the pour . . . unlike last week when I was up at 5 AM trying to wrap stuff up . . .

More later . . .

Concrete has been poured . . . 41 yards total in both pours . . . Looks Great !

Long time in the waiting, and a VERY busy last 2 weeks getting everything ready . . .
BUT . . . it's ALL done now . . .

Here is the site - ready for the concrete pour in the morning . . . I'm tired . . . Long 2 weeks getting ready . . .

sm_shop1059.jpg

This was not in the plan, but needed to get fixed . . . so while they were here, had them get it done too . . .
This buckled really badly after the Duke Power bucket trucks drove up my drive to cut limbs near the power lines.
They cracked the concrete that then allowed the roots to buckle the concrete - not looking too bad here . .
But had one of the 17 Tons of crush-and-run dump trucks back over it a few time to get it a little better . . .
Don't get me wrong . . . it's still really bad and annoying . . .

sm_shop1064.jpg

Got all of the bad concrete out . . . framed up . . . leveled out - wire mesh down . . . and ready for the pour . . .

sm_shop1066.jpg

Bring in the truck . . .

sm_shop1067.jpg

Get this area filled with concrete so that they can get me a level drive way again . . . Can't wait . . .

sm_shop1068.jpg

What an improvement . . . gotta wait 3 days to drive on it, block it with my Jeep . . . so nobody drives up . . .

sm_shop1069.jpg

This was done first, but I wanted to get the driveway repair done and out of the way . . . and focus on this . . .
First, the first 2 trucks showed up and got started dumping the concrete into the forms . . .

sm_shop1060.jpg

These guys work really fast, first truck was emptied, and this is probably only 45 minutes into the pour . . .

sm_shop1061.jpg

Once the second truck was emptied, this is the look of the pad . . . and again, this is probably at 1 3/4 hours

sm_shop1062.jpg

Since I can only post 10 pictures . . . here's the end of the day as the tropical storm is blowing my way tonight . . .

sm_shop1072.jpg

So the long awaited concrete pad is FINALLY done and behind me . . . time to start the building ! ! !

Can't wait ! ! ! But - we're slated for a bit of rain today . . . not sure what I'll be able to do yet . . .

More Later . . .

And now . . . the final product . . . and Let the Build Begin ! ! !

I'm ready . . .

The Pour is completed and the slab is now ready for the build to begin . . .

sm_shop1070.jpg

Wait a minute . . . forgot that they needed to get the grooves cut into the slab . . . Now it's ready . . .

sm_shop1071.jpg

And again . . . this was a great end of the day - and exciting day, with a long time goal realized . . .

sm_shop1072.jpg

Now it is time for the building to begin . . . and I'm more than ready . . . been a very busy 2 weeks ! ! !

More Later . . .

Lots of good stuff achieved there Larry.....my bit of plastering makes me look lazy by comparison.

Can't wait to see those frames goes up and get a roof on top. :thumbsup:

Give me a week and some things are going to happen . . . now that I have a pad . . . look out ! ! !

Can I see a light and the end of the tunnel ? ! ?

The other day, when I was walking to the end of the driveway I had a few visitors in the yard . . .

sm_shop1073.jpg

Started the beginning of the week trying to set up the corners of the blocks to help be able to run the blocks . . .

sm_shop1074.jpg

And the location of the middle wall - along with the for corner . . . both courses . . .

sm_shop1075.jpg

And wayyyyy in the back . . . the last corner of the shop . . .

sm_shop1076.jpg

Prepping the site for the blocks, get the blocks all set out where they need to be . . .

sm_shop1077.jpg

Had this idea for the mortar bin . . . and being able to move it around ( got a great concrete slab to assist )

sm_shop1078.jpg

The middle wall is kinda important as it's probably the next wall to go up and get the center section built . . .

sm_shop1079.jpg

Both course have been set and they're getting poured full of concrete and setting the anchor bolts to hold the walls . . .

sm_shop1080.jpg

Middle wall is completed less the concrete inside of them . . . but it's starting to look like a building . . .

sm_shop1081.jpg

And if you didn't ALSO notice . . . the front wall of the shop is also completed . . . and also filled with concrete . . .
And . . . the anchor bolts are set in the wall too . . .

sm_shop1082.jpg

Got a busy rest of this weekend - got a lot of concrete to be poured into the walls . . .
( and I thought I was done with concrete . . . sheeesh . . . )

Alright . . . full disclosure . . .

My baby brother flew into town for a couple days this week and wanted to help with the shop build . . . he learned
- how to lay blocks . . .
- how to operate a backhoe ( just a little )
- played with the bucket on the tractor too, while we had it out . . . gotta have some FUN too ! !

He was a HUGE help in getting me this far this fast . . . his assistance was VERY welcome and appreciated . . .
He flys out in the morning . . . so the rest of the weekend is all ME . . . Oh Boy ! ! !

More Later . . .

Auto Transport Service
Back