• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally time to pull the trigger . . . starting on the New (much anticipated) SHOP - Build

I had a green one that crapped out, so I bought a red one.
With all the shelves, dropped ceilings and other ornamental framework I have been doing the last 6 months, the laser is a great tool.
I've often planned on doing laser layout early in the day or when the sun is hidden behind the trees so the grid lines are easier to see.
So many tools now make me wonder how we did this work without them.

Kern that little Dewalt laser is my go to on many car fabrication process's as well...

I agree that once you have one and know how to utilize it you wonder how you did anything before...

Keep at it Larry...:thumbsup:

Good day of progress yesterday . . . and I'm feeling it this morning . . .

Ugh . . . Got quite a bit done yesterday . . . now . . . can I get some more done today . . .

Here's the setup as I wok on the footers . . . set up to pour right into the forms ( not carry that heavy stuff )

sm_shop397.jpg

Got a lot of this side done, need to get some more forms set up for the rest of the footer now . . .
So onto the other side . . .

sm_shop398.jpg

Was making such good progress . . . came to this side to get some more concrete poured . . .
DUH . . . in all the "excitement" . . . I'd forgot to make the rebar cages . . . ARGH ! ! !

So clean out the mixer - and go build the cages . . . and then get back to it . . .

sm_shop399.jpg

Got both of the front corners done now and heading o down the sides . . .
Lots to be done if this is going to have any chance of getting this done this month ( as planning . . . )

sm_shop400.jpg
'

Hope that I've not bit off more that I can chew on this project . . . but I'm going to take a shot at it . . .

Woke up to 40 degrees, so take 2 Advil, get the body moving, and get the rest of the 21 bags poured . .

More later

Just haven't pulled the trigger on one of them . . . yet

They work OK in dark conditions outside over distance.....but not so well in sunlight.

My buddy here has a Milwaukee with a Green Laser - he said that works a treat even with reasonable sunlight.

Good to know . . . but I'm working in the "dark" so maybe the red will be just fine ? ?
( LOL )

I had a green one that crapped out, so I bought a red one.
With all the shelves, dropped ceilings and other ornamental framework I have been doing the last 6 months, the laser is a great tool.
I've often planned on doing laser layout early in the day or when the sun is hidden behind the trees so the grid lines are easier to see.
So many tools now make me wonder how we did this work without them.

Got a load of tools myself . . .

Kern that little Dewalt laser is my go to on many car fabrication process's as well...

I agree that once you have one and know how to utilize it you wonder how you did anything before...

Keep at it Larry...:thumbsup:

Probably . . . one day I'll actually go and buy one of these things . . .

Couldn't let it go . . . got out and got it done . . .

Went back out and got to work on the footers again . . . couldn't take a break.
I've got a schedule and a deadline that I'm trying to adhere to . . .

First of all - Spring Time in NC . . . and the Bradford Pears have already bloomed and are now leaves.
Here is the next tree to bloom - Dogwood in bloom . . . in NC . . .

sm_shop401.jpg

Had to put another step on the other side to accommodate the slope of the land . . .

sm_shop402.jpg

A better view of the step . . . and the footers are now halfway done . . .

sm_shop403.jpg

Work will continue as the forms are built, and the concrete is poured . . . one step at a time . . .

More later . . .

That's a lot of work for sure. Concrete isn't light! I'll be real interested to see how you move the old garage.

Great build and keep up the good work!

Good day of progress yesterday . . . and I'm feeling it this morning . . .

Ugh . . . Got quite a bit done yesterday . . . now . . . can I get some more done today . . .

Here's the setup as I wok on the footers . . . set up to pour right into the forms ( not carry that heavy stuff )

View attachment 1264314

Got a lot of this side done, need to get some more forms set up for the rest of the footer now . . .
So onto the other side . . .

View attachment 1264315

Was making such good progress . . . came to this side to get some more concrete poured . . .
DUH . . . in all the "excitement" . . . I'd forgot to make the rebar cages . . . ARGH ! ! !

So clean out the mixer - and go build the cages . . . and then get back to it . . .

View attachment 1264316

Got both of the front corners done now and heading o down the sides . . .
Lots to be done if this is going to have any chance of getting this done this month ( as planning . . . )

View attachment 1264317'

Hope that I've not bit off more that I can chew on this project . . . but I'm going to take a shot at it . . .

Woke up to 40 degrees, so take 2 Advil, get the body moving, and get the rest of the 21 bags poured . .

More later
You may have why earlier in this thread, but there's gotta be a cement plant somewhere...**** a bunch of mixing that much concrete.

Trying to stay on top of this project . . .

Had a little bit of rain this week . . . and found that I've got a few leaks . . .
The way I'm doing this build is driven by the fact that I've got 1 shop in the way.

So the metal roofing is not intended to be installed for long periods of time this way . . . and I'm trying my best to "waterproof" what I have until the rest of the roof gets in place to help seal everything up properly . . .

all small leaks . . . location 1 . . .

sm_shop404.jpg

Location 2 . . .

sm_shop405.jpg

Location 3 . . .

sm_shop406.jpg

Location 4 . . .

sm_shop407.jpg

In order for me to meet my end of the month goal, gotta keep at this thing whenever I get a chance . . .
So . . . with some time after work today ( Friday ) . . . I got another rebar cage built and installed,
and some concrete mixed and poured . . .

Worked on the next section and made it around another corner . . .

sm_shop408.jpg

Now we're on the backstretch . . . and heading home . . .

sm_shop409.jpg

Tomorrow I'll be able to break down all of these forms, and reuse the boards to build up the other needed forms.
And get the next section of concrete poured . . . I hope . . .

And . . . ready for the next pour as the concrete is in the old shop . . .

sm_shop410.jpg

With Spring, and grass needing to be cut weekly again . . . and rain . . . time will get away from me quickly.
Just trying to keep the project moving forward and anxious to get this thing moved and out of my way.

And one more interesting note:
The weather report is for 37 degrees tomorrow morning . . . Brrrrrrr
That's NOT going to help to get things done . . .

More later . . .

Saturday Footings progress . . .

Got the third side of the footers done on Saturday, with hopes of finishing the last side Sunday . . .

Good progress . . . and happy to have side #3 completed . . .

sm_shop411.jpg

Only thing left . . . is to connect the back . . .

sm_shop412.jpg

Sunday Footers Progress . . .

The temps Sunday morning were in the 30's again, but warmed quickly . . . thank goodness.
First thing that I had to do was break down all the forms on the side - and build the forms for the back.

That went fairly well - and I had enough wood to get the whole thing formed up and ready . . .

sm_shop413.jpg

Bought another pallet of 80# Concrete mix . . . and took the first 21 bags home . . . this is where I got . . .

sm_shop414.jpg

By this time I was sore . . . but couldn't stand to see this not be completed . . .

sm_shop415.jpg

It was late in the day when I got this all completed . . .

Ready for the next phase of the shop move . . . block work and filling with concrete . . . OH BOY ! !

sm_shop416.jpg

Lot more concrete in these footers than I originally thought . . . did not think that the land dropped off so quickly.
Actually wanted the shop back another 5-10 feet, but the terrain drops off even faster past where I stopped.

Get some blockwork done . . . fill them with concrete . . . fill the inside with crush-and-run and compact it . . .

Moving along . . .

More later . . .

Bringing it all up to one level . . .

With the 2 drops that I had to do, now I've got to bring them all up to level . . .

The back wall had a double drop, so I've got one level completed . . .

sm_shop417.jpg

And I also go the two back corners mortared in place . . . and they are spot on for their measurements.
Side wall are 18' 1 " . . . Back walls are 22' 1" . . . and the diagonal is 28' 6 1/2 " . . .

sm_shop418.jpg

ERROR on my part . . .
Missed the fact that the corner blocks "should" have been rotated 90 degrees to get my running bond . . .

So . . . I'll just have to piece a half block in (both side) to make it work . . . it can be fixed . . .

sm_shop419.jpg

As you can see, the side wall is now up to level . . . and I've started on the back wall . . .

sm_shop420.jpg

Got all my supplies . . . and ready to get the back wall, and this other side wall done tomorrow . . .

sm_shop421.jpg

Hate when I do that . . . mess up . . . but it can be corrected, just was too far along when I realized.
Didn't want to break the block free as it was already setting and in the proper location and measurements . . .

I'm not a builder by trade . . . but enjoying doing this build . . .

More later . . .

Busy weekend of Easter and Foundation events . . .

Had to take some time out from the work schedule, and take care of important business.
Visiting the grandkids . . . and what a treat that was . . . this is my oldest of 2 . . . I'm a lucky man !

sm_shop422.jpg

Spring is in the air . . . except for today, not sure WHAT happened, as the temps dropped drastically.
We've already got flowers blooming down here . . . I thinks these are Irises ? ? ?

sm_shop423.jpg

Saturday after lunch, mixed up a batch of mortar to finish this left side wall . . . and I was short . . . ARGH.
You can see the last 3 blocks have wet mortar . . . they were done Sunday night to complete the 12" blocks

sm_shop424.jpg

Also emptied out my supply of concrete mix and filled all the openings in the blocks that I could . . .

sm_shop425.jpg

The 12' blocks are completed now . . . next, 2 courses of 8" blocks to set the building on . . .

sm_shop426.jpg

Crazy temps down here . . . high was only 60 today, along with the rain - it was very cool.

Will be ordering this week . . .

- more 80# bags of concrete mix
- 8" blocks for the next 2 courses
- crush-and-run to fill the center section

Pretty soon, the old building will begin to be dismantled . . . and moved . . . can't wait . . .

More later . . .

Surprised you don't buy sand and gravel then Portland cement instead of all the bags. I've got a ton of sand and gravel with the mixer sitting right in between, shovel it all in and find an amount that fills without spilling. I think I've got $60 in pouring 20' of wall so far?

As usual progress is looking . You'll have plenty of space once it's all done until you start buying more tools haha. I'm already planning the 3rd addition to mine for a machine shop.

A lot that needs to be shared . . . and some I don't want to share . . .

Had some unexpected visitors show up Thursday evening at the house - my daughter and 2 granddaughters.
They're selling their house in Virginia and the showing are non-stop - so they got out of there ( lucky me ! ).

My youngest ( 6 months) hand comparison . . . Just amazing . . .

sm_shop427.jpg

The oldest one had a blast playing with my "inspector" in the yard . . . sure looks like a smile on his face . . .

sm_shop428.jpg

Unfortunately . . . My daughter being here was both a blessing and a curse . . .

Titus got sick Thursday night . . . and Friday morning I was rushing him to the Vet . . .
HOW I managed to pick up 125 pounds of sick dog - is still beyond me - god gives us strength to do things we need to do.

Sorry to say - Titus had to be put down . . . has crossed the rainbow bridge . . .

Life expectancy of a Great Dane is listed as 6 - 8 years . . . Titus was 12 1/2 years old ! !
12 1/2 years of wonderful memories from this Gentle Giant . . . he will be missed . . . and I'm smiling at the memories.

Got this from the Vet . . .

sm_shop429.jpg

What an incredible gesture . . . and heartfelt memory this will provide for me . . .

sm_shop430.jpg

As a result of this event ( I knew it was coming . . . he was starting to have trouble walking ) . . .

I've labeled the moving of this "old" shop . . . As Project Titus . . .

After the grandkids left . . . I needed to keep myself busy and working on the shop was what was needed.

- finished filling all the 12" blocks with concrete
- finished most of the 2 courses of 8" blocks . . .
- got some of them filled 1/2 way with concrete . . .

sm_shop431.jpg

This side wall was only 1 course tall . . .

sm_shop432.jpg

But this side is completed . . . and around the front too . . .

sm_shop433.jpg

Got home from work today . . . and finished up this second course . . . only 1 1/2 block needed to complete it . . .

sm_shop434.jpg

Find myself outside working as I don't want to go into the empty, quiet, lonely house and not hear WOOF WOOF !

Still would like to get this moved by the end of the month . . . but I'm running out of month . . .
Will do as much as I can . . . who knows . . .

Sure missing having my little buddy watching me work . . . sad days . . .

More later . . .

So sorry to hear about your dog... My EX and I had Danes for the 20 years we were together.. We unintentionally became a Dane rescue ctr and usually had 3 of them ranging on our property..
I saw one of our Danes stop a van from backing over my oldest when he was a toddler... Would not have believed it if I had not seen it... Saved my sons life..
Most loyal and protective dogs ever.....

I am so sorry for you. It's one of those things that I knew was coming and it was going to be in this thread. He looked like a good friend and companion and he will be missed by everyone here as well as you. Titus has been in so many of your threads he feels like family. I'm choking up as I'm writing this so I can't imagine what you're going through. Titus will forever be here as a lasting addition to your posts.

Hope you are OK... You have not been on here much since the death of your dog. I understand if so, but just expressing some concern here....

Larry so sorry to hear about Titus, I know he was your partner in crime and will be missed!
That grandbabies is growing so fast! Glad you got to spend some time with them!!!
Shop is looking great!
Take care!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back