• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Firestone Wide Ovals RWL on 1971 Plymouth road runner?

road robert

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:13 PM
Reaction score
Mopar Gurus:

Did the '71 road runner or other Mopars ever come with Firestones or only Good Year? I have been waiting for a new set of 4 Goodyear Polyglas F70-14 RWL Custom Wide Tread since Nov '22 and been driving on bald ones with an overdue inspection sticker. I found that Universal Vintage Tire Co. has Firestone Wide Oval GR70-14 RWL (radials) in stock, they actually look better that the Good Year "Polyglas" radials (can't get them anywhere either). I am not trying to fool anyone, and really like the look and don't mind the ride of the Good Year Polyglas but the Firestone radials may be my best option to get a sicker and drive safely to Carlisle and back (420 miles each way)!

Pease advise...

road robert
fr7015rwlprofile_2.png

fr7015rwlside_2.png

To answer your question NO Firestone raised white not used on 1971 Road Runner. Good Year was tire used.

Ron

Last edited:
Why are the Firestones in Stock? Nobody buys them, nobody wants them.
just like an electric car, don’t buy that junk.

I've been waiting 2 years for Goodyears. It will be worth it because then I’ll have the right tires, and won’t have to look at wrong Firestone’s on my mopar.

Last edited:
I agree with all the previous posts. But I bought Firestone red lines for my '69 GTX because of the back order on the Goodyears. Current tires were 20 year old BFG Radial T/As, not a viable option. Hopefully will be able get Goodyears again without the delay next time around. My Mopars haven't seen a lot of miles in recent years. I ran Firestone red line radials with the bias ply style tread on Baby Blue for four years and had no problems, drove to the Chrysler Nationals several times.

Last edited:
Firestone non white letter is good, you don’t know what the tire is unless you look at them close.

The white letters are advertising the wrong tires from 100 feet away.

Firestone makes me think of this GM car.

3330A29F-2556-4264-88DD-9A421D9A2DD1.jpeg

AA9EEA50-2C7A-4901-8C27-6743B3B997D2.jpeg

99932F6E-F251-4D7C-A8D9-89E9A352E9C2.jpeg

ACAF9D2D-A08E-46CC-A560-F0192B68C318.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello,
I have a 71 Super Bee I am restoring and could not find Goodyear 15" Polyglas GT in radial form for the time period, however, they do offer a 14" radial version (not GT series) of the tires.

Unrelated to the Super Bee, I put a set of bias ply Firestone Wide Ovals on my 72 442 W-30 (455 CID) when I finished the resto and they were absolutely horrible, handling and lots of understeer, but I must say they were great going over bumps while driving in a straight line, other than that, a definite no go if you want to handle the car at speeds over 30MPH (Offramps, cornering, stopping, etc.).

A couple of years ago Firestone came out with a radial version of the Wide Oval, so I bought a set, they look same (with an R raised white letter), they handle, stop and ride excellent.

Goodyear has an original 60 series Polyglas GT for the Mopar's but I am afraid to spend the $475.00 each for my Bee not knowing how they will perform, handle, etc.

If they offered a radial version GT series to match the time period, I would definitely buy a set, but until then . . . . I bought a set of Diamond Back radials with Blue stripe (matches B5 Blue Paint perfectly) to run on the Bee (low profile picture shown on their website). I prefer the raised white letters of the GT series, but decided to run the blueline's for the time being. They look great with black painted stock plain steel wheels with no center caps, no trim rings, etc.

Goodyear Polyglass GT 60 Series.png
Goodyear Polyglass GT 60 Series Tire.png

Diamond Back SS Blueline Tire.png

Why are the Firestones in Stock? Nobody buys them, nobody wants them.
just like an electric car, don’t buy that junk.

I've been waiting 2 years for Goodyears. It will be worth it because then I’ll have the right tires, and won’t have to look at wrong Firestone’s on my mopar.
Hello R413,
Is Goodyear coming out with a radial version of the Polyglas GT's? I looked on Coker and Diamond Back, neither are advertising them. I definately would buy a set when they become available for my 71 Super Bee.

Do what you gotta do.
Maybe put the firestones on a different set of wheels, and wait for the Goodyears.
Mine is supposed to have goodyears on it too, but I see firestones on other cars that are supposed to have goodyears. Doesn't bother me. I know they are wrong, you know they're wrong, how many others do?..... or care?
If you're not selling it, and NEED to have the right tires to get the right price........

Hello R413,
Is Goodyear coming out with a radial version of the Polyglas GT's? I looked on Coker and Diamond Back, neither are advertising them. I definately would buy a set when they become available for my 71 Super Bee.
GY Polyglas radials are FR70-14 only.
talking about 15’s but they haven’t made anything polyglas in 2 years.

Put a set of modern RWL radials and drive it.
Maybe after the right tires come off backorder replace them then

Auto Transport Service
Back