• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First time out

sorry Bob I'm not sure what to do
maybe 'thin rubber strip' under all of it
If you have the room

not sure that'd help any either

shot in the dark
did it have adequate room around all sides (?)
not a tight fit, so it can expand a little
looks like it does on the bottom, not sure the rest
I'm stumped

I wonder if it was expansion, cool then heat cycle ?
several cycles of them, that cracked it (?)
or of the drilling/countersinking, had little nicks (?)
that helped/cracked it

sorry not much help here

maybe contact the Lexan mfgr, see what they say/think
it's worth a shot, only loss a little time, if they can't help

Last edited:
I've never screwed Lexan. But I 'd think about installing screws that are shouldered. That way when they are tightened they will bottom on the sheet metal instead of crushing the Lexan. Best idea in my opinion would be contact a car builder and ask them how they do it. McAmis , Bickle or someone local.
Doug

I actually barely have the screws touching the lexan.
When I first installed them, I used a drill bit that was a bit oversized for the lexan to move. Unfortunately, I used the same bit into the sheet metal which caused the loose condition.
When I re did the lexan, I offset the bottom holes from the previous ones.
This time, I drilled the bottom holes in the lexan first, then used a slightly undersized bit for the sheet metal. It was difficult turning the screws down but I feel where I stopped them, they are there to stay.
Like I said, they are barely touching the lexan.
We'll see how it works.

We'll see what happens....

20190412_195603.jpg

Well, that didn't take very long!

20190412_195603.jpg 20190412_211537.jpg 20190412_211544.jpg

I never dealt with lexan but I'd drill the hole 1/16" larger than the screw and use finish washers on the screw.
finsh.JPG

It's not the screw.
I did drill oversize.
It's a chemical reaction with the loctite.

Not sure what's worse....listening to the rap crap from my neighbor's kids pool party or having the problem you're having! Time to go in the house I guess and shut down the shop.

This was just a test panel.
I didn't use the loctite on the new panel.

Loctite expands when it drys I believe and cracks the lexan. Gorilla glue does the same thing. Forgot that earlier.

I'm not sure why that first one isn't showing as a video.

Auto Transport Service
Back