• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fixing MAACO Mistake-Os.

When that car was painted by MAACO they probably used Acrylic Enamel. It will lift at the edges
if you put anything "Hotter" over it. You can try a little epoxy primer over it because it's catalyzed
and hopefully will seal it off. Let it dry for a couple of days and then wet sand it with 600.

This has been on my mind - I see that MAACO is still using enamel in their base paint job, so I'd also assume enamel is what they were using 30 years ago. It might be wise to stop using the acrylic lacquer and switch to an acrylic enamel. There's Rust-oleum's 2X acrylic enamel, and they also have the turbo can and professional high performance enamel lines. The latter are only "enamel" as far as I've been able to tell, and not "acrylic enamel."

Couple eraser wheel vids -

I got the fluted wheel which did not work well for the first YouTuber. I figured the gaps were meant to "catch" and would pull the sticker off faster - but maybe it doesn't work that well after all. Headed out to try!

I need to do a Marco paint job on the extra car we have. it will look so much better than the paint deathe hood and roof even with defects.

Verdict on the eraser wheel - I'd pass on the fluted wheel. It did the job, once I got the hang of it, but it loves to climb over body lines. It doesn't seem like the solid ones would be as prone to that. Of course I've never used a solid one, they could be even worse for all I know.

The 3M wheel appears to be a big winner in the area of not leaving so much rubber residue behind. The cheapie I bought left so much residue behind. I made a second pass to remove the rubber residue, and I knocked it down but I didn't get it all off. I had to make a 3rd pass with a white drafting eraser (not on a drill, a hand held eraser). I've still got a layer of rubber residue to deal with.

The cheapie wheel I bought came with a wool buffing pad, a flat orange buffing pad, a wavy orange bugging pad, and a 4" backing disc. Maybe I'm supposed to buff the last of the rubber residue off?

It also came with a nice razor blade scraper, with a plastic razor blade on one end and a metal one on the other. For $11-12 I'd call it a good deal.

BTW the eraser wheel didn't get all of the pinstripe adhesive. Goo Gone doesn't take it off either, although it does leave a big mess to clean up.

I've used only the solid eraser wheel. It worked quite well, even on those thick reflective decals that you see on commercial vehicles. Left no residue behind at all.

I'd buy the 3M wheel if I were going to use it more, but what I did is likely the end of it.

Auto Transport Service
Back