• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flat black paint care and protection

Cornpatch MO

Local time
6:28 AM
Reaction score
I would like to have several post's on what you use on your satin--flat--or?, black paint (not primer) to keep it looking good and protect it. I have heard that wax is a no-no. Any other tips on what NOT to use? ...............................MO

thats a great question, I want to do the same with my 94 ram. I know unsealed primer will absorb moisture and the metal will rust, I can see you know all about humidity being from MO lol

thats a great question, I want to do the same with my 94 ram. I know unsealed primer will absorb moisture and the metal will rust, I can see you know all about humidity being from MO lol
I am not from Mo. but durn near it! I am in IOA. Epoxy primer is waterproof but it is very hard to keep looking good. After a while it sun- fades. I used mineral oil on it and it looked good for a short time
I am ready to paint my hood and hood scoop, and want it more durable than primer. I have the paint- Urathane flat black..................................MO

Just painted mine satin black. Do not use any polishes or waxes. It will create blotchy shine spots. Be very careful around it because it will scratch/scuff easily. If you get any scratches or blemishes on it, you have to live with it or repaint the panel. Do not try to fix it!!

Basically, flat paint is paint that is uneven on the surface. Kind of like tiny peaks and valleys all over. Unlike glossy paint which is perfectly flat to reflect almost all the light in a straight line, flat paint reflects the light into all directions because of the uneven surface and this is what gives it the dull look. If you fill in or wear down any of these peaks or valleys with polishing or waxing, you will create a glossy spot that can not be fixed without respraying.

By the way I use Meguair's Ultimate Quick Detailer and micro fiber cloths. One to put on and one to wipe off. I also cut off any edge triming on the cloth just as precaution. The Meguair's works great to get the dust and light dirt off. Anything more and it would need a hand wash with soft sponge. No car washes

A lot of extra work and care but I love the look so think it is worth it.

Last edited:
Bandit-- Thanks a bunch! Great information and explanation. I never thought about what makes the "flatness" And now I know that car washes is what made the splotches in my primer black I wish there were a protection from car washes as that is how I always clean my car. Anyone know how to prevent those splotches from useing a car wash? ...............................MO

If I had to use a car wash, I would bring a bucket and soft sponge to wash it and use the car wash to rinse. And I would not get close to the paint with that high power water. Rinse from a distance. Definately no automatic car wash. If you get any water spots afterwards, use the Meguair's Detailer to lightly get them out.

i use spray wax on all my hot rod black hoods, the turtle wax ice seems to work about the best.

aug2013014_zps8aeec9a9.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back