• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint Question

pedal2themetal

Local time
12:41 PM
Reaction score
This is kind of off topic..
I'm making some yard art stuff. and I am using RR spikes.. They are very rusty kind of beyond cleaning.. What kind of primer can I use that well stick to the NOT flaking rust so I can paint the items..
Thanks in advance

Take care be safe
tim

Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer. Affordable, comes in quarts you can thin and spray or brush on. Knock off the flakey stuff first.

This is the only time I will recommend POR15. They tell you to put it on over the rust.

Thanks everyone,
I want to be able to paint over the primer.. not sure about the hammer one, Never heard of Rusty bullet? SSoOo I think I'll look at the price of the POR15 and see about the Rustolum Rusty Metal primer as well..
thanks for the replies.

Take care be safe
tim

por15 dries very hard and glossy, not sure how well paint would adhere to it and it would be a bitch to sand

HI Thanks,
I'll look into the colors Por15 comes in..
Thanks

Take care be safe
tim

they have other products too

1696555025770.png

I'm puzzled why the rust can't be removed, either mechanically or chemically ?

HI,
Yeah it most likely be removed but I didn't want them to look new and I didn't think about rust removal until I got it welded together. together is it to big to put in anything I have to soak.. I'm working on 3 more items the one I have done is a Christmas star. The others I can soak in apple cider Vinegar. but this first one is all together. Its probably 2.5 ft. tall
009.jpg

Thanks and take care

tim

Auto Transport Service
Back