• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flex plate question

Derv

Local time
10:15 AM
Reaction score
Installed flex plate on my 361 concave in. There is about a quarter inch gap between it and the converter. Did I put it on backwards?

O You're ok. Pull the converter out to mate it up.

flexplate.jpg

Thanks, having a hard time with the picture, is the concavity facing out towards the transmission?

Thanks, having a hard time with the picture, is the concavity facing out towards the transmission?
The flex plate is closer to the block than the hub.

If the converter is properly installed in the trans, you should have about 1/4" gap. You then pull the converter out to match the flex plate. Be sure to have the bolt holes & converter tangs properly lined up, most have one offset. If you haven't marked it ahead of time, put one bolt in finger tight, the rotate the crankshaft around 90* at a time to see if the bolts line up, you need to do a full revolution to be sure all are lined up. I f not one will be obvious.

Thanks. I think I have it right, my self esteem went up 2 points.

Installed flex plate on my 361 concave in. There is about a quarter inch gap between it and the converter. Did I put it on backwards?
You can't put 'em on backwards..the bolt holes won't line up.:thumbsup:

bean, I agree, but you can put it on "backwards", wrong side bolted to the crank.
I'm not trying to be mr. argue guy (you know I love ya!) but, no..you can't. The bolt holes simply won't line up with the plate on backwards.

Here's one on properly, all holes align
20200328_095411.jpg

With the flexplate flipped over, and the two close-together holes lined up, nothing else will. And the alignment is worse in any other position.
20200328_095436.jpg

BUT my disclaimer is, if there's a 361 crank with an oddball pattern that could work both ways? I always understood all B/RB used the same bolt pattern.

There are those pesky 361- 413 HD truck/ industrial / marine cranks
different length behind the main to flange too

I made the mistake of not measuring the bolt pattern diameter of my torque converter (10” vs 11”) and making sure I had the flex plate. Stalled me a couple days until I could get a new one. Found one at 440source for a great price.

I made the mistake of not measuring the bolt pattern diameter of my torque converter (10” vs 11”) and making sure I had the flex plate. Stalled me a couple days until I could get a new one. Found one at 440source for a great price.
I've grown to like the sfi rated B&M, it has three different converter bolt patterns...not the cheapest though!

Another issue is the converter bolt size, some 10" have the small bolts, most have the lager bolts. The B&M multi hole plate does account for all.

Auto Transport Service
Back