• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Floor and Trunk Finishing Options

crahill39

Local time
3:40 PM
Reaction score
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone had experience with this product:

http://www.metalshield.com/

The shop is pushing this product pretty hard and before I commit to using something like this vs. other bedliner products on the floor or trunk areas, I was hoping some of you guys might chime in. The product looks interesting, but cannot be painted over, but is considerably cheaper than other products as well. Appreciate any input.

Craig

A Space Age solution .....

This is enough to scare me away from any product.

Let me ask you this: What's the point of the coating ? I mean, is this a shop that's pushing this product where you're having work done on your car ? Or put another way, why a bedliner product as opposed to epoxy primer and paint ?

I used rustolium on the floors and splatter paint in the trunk:happy5:

Attachments

• 5.19.12 007.jpg
    5.19.12 007.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 339
  • 5.19.12 041.jpg
    5.19.12 041.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 341
  • 6.27.12 034.jpg
    6.27.12 034.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 355
  • 6.27.12 036.jpg
    6.27.12 036.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 355
For what it's worth I'm using Chassis Saver basically in place of POR15 on all my stuff on the Charger. Friend of mine had better luck with it after some trouble with POR15 on his hemi roadrunner. Basically shoot chassis saver, then primer, then topcoat. Really good stuff.

Everyone says POR15 is the truth (as long as no water gets in it during application) but I think either way would be a better route than a bedliner type product. My .02

primer and paint for me....
Me too and here is why. If you topcoat the trunk with bedliner and change your mind later on, it's gonna be hell to get off. Granted, it will offer some sound deadening, but so will a cheap version of dynamat.

I don't know the shop you are using and do not wish to disparage them, but be wary of shops that insist on a undercoating. The less than reputable ones will cover up shoddy work with a heavy dose of the stuff.

i agree
those snakeoil rust coatings are only something that will bite you hard
in the long run.
do it once and do it right,
epoxy primer is all you need.
a shop pushing bedliner, throws up a big red flag to me.

Thanks guys for the input. So to clear up any confusion about the shop...when I say they are pushing the product, it's their preference of a one product over another. The idea of laying a bed liner type product in the trunk and on the floor boards was mine (Actually got the idea after seeing how Propwash did the trunk of his Roadrunner). The shop does good work, and actually lets me work on the car as much as I want. Albeit, I just do a lot of the prep work like grinding, sanding, dismantling, etc..., but I get to keep my hands in the car and stay completely involved. My thoughts on having the bedliner in the trunk is because I fully plan on driving this car and don't want to worry about scratching or rusting ever again since the whole trunk has been replaced. Now the floor is same concept, but I also wanted some heat and sound protection as well. I thought about just using some sound deadening matting in the floor areas, but want to consider all the options and see what others are doing as well.

Craig

I'm gettin ready to blast the under side of mine and slob rustoleum everywhere. 27 bucks a gallon at Lowes. Anything with a snappy slogan is probably just tryin to get in your billfold.

I'm using KBS 'Rust Coater' on mine, a 'snake-oil rust sealer'. Two reasons, you can use it over metal paint etc that has no surface rust and still have it adhere properly. The other, I intend to use my boot, strollers, luggage etc, so a good quality hard wearing coating like that will take that abuse and not scratch chip or turn to crap.

The 2K epoxy based bedliners (out of a gun) will offer you a very tough coating that paint can't match...Properly prepped and sprayed, it's tough as nails. But like mentioned, don't plan on it coming out without a major fight. Also, I would want to put my eyes on the area to be sprayed before they apply it. Like Pete mentioned, good medium for covering shotty work. Another couple plus's with the bedliner is the resistance to environment, sound deadening and heat dissipation. I've seen the metalshield on a few hot rodder sites I visit, a bunch of guys out there are using it and actually contemplated using it myself. There are limitations to it's use and where so read up well. Back to the bedliner......My own opinion here, but I've seen too many Mopar trunks rotted out to just go with paint. Obviously old Mopars now days typically don't see the environment like back in the day, but never the less there's still driving in the rain, dealing with condensation and car wash's that moisten things up. If using a trunk mat...well that is like sticking a dagger in it....10-20 years from now I don't want to look at rot in my trunk. Fresh/clean metal coated with a couple coats of rust bullet, then bedliner should extend that timeframe long after I'm done walking the earth. If you're a car show kind of guy, I could see the bedliner not really being an option.

Do not use rubberized undercoating out of a can or roll/brush on bedliner for your trunk, floor or underneath. They're both more porous and applied wrong will actually hold moisture. The roll on bedliner is like cheap black paint mixed with shredded tires. Tried it, sucks! Not even comparable to the gun sprayed stuff. Honestly you would be better off with paint and a good epoxy primer underneath to protect your metal then those options. Also, I wouldn't spray the bedliner on just metal. Like I said before, a good couple coats of rust bullet (or similar) or over paint/primer will give you the proper base. Trunk spatter paint can be applied over the bedliner if you're looking to dress it up, but obviously still won't have the appeal of a nice painted surface. One more thing to mention, it will stink the car up for about a month while the catalysts are curing up. Bearable, but will be noticeable. Good luck what ever route you go.

I used rock it liner by SEM. It comes with a applicator gun and is a two part I guess epoxy based. It applies thin and has very light texture. Looks great and is tough as nails. It will also hide some light defects which was nice for me.

Auto Transport Service
Back