• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Floor pan replacement question

70B

Local time
8:03 AM
Reaction score
I'm replacing the floor pan in a 70 Super Bee and bought the full pan thinking I could get it installed some how. But as many more experienced people know it won't fit through the door or in my case won't go under the car either. I'm going to have to cut it in half I guess. My question is, is it better to cut length wise or side to side maybe where the cross member is ? Any thoughts about the best way to do it?

I ran into the same problem. I ended up cutting the floor pan down the middle to get it into the car. It wouldn't fit because it's a post car. I welded it back up no problem. I don't think it matters which way you cut it. Hope this helps!

Pull the windshield? Welding a cut floor pan will be a bit of time. Perhaps more than the window.

Just what I thought, no "easy" answer! Thanks for the feed back though.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks I appreciate the input .

- - - Updated - - -

With my luck I'd crack the windshield, but thanks for the alternative idea! Replacing a window that's something I haven't tried yet.

If I was going to cut it, I'd cut it sideways (door to door) and make sure the seam falls directly over the flange of the crossmember. This will keep you from blowing through on the re-weld and eliminate the need to dress the seam from underneath.

Just my 2 cents.

Pull the windshield? Welding a cut floor pan will be a bit of time. Perhaps more than the window.

Pretty good idea . . . but for me I just put the top down . . . ( sigh ) . . .

Remeasured diagonally with the doors "off" this time, problem solved. I hate projects that get strung out too long like this, you end up forgetting/ overlooking the obvious solutions. After re-measuring the pan is 56 1/2 and the door opening is 56 3/4, so no problem (famous last words)..... I hope.
Gotta be smarter than the hammer! Thanks for the suggestions guy's. 70B3Bee

Thanks to all who responded the project went great. Putting the seats in next week.

DSCN5127.JPG DSCN5137.JPG DSCN5144.JPG

Our car needs this done to it.
20160908_143241.jpg

When I was reading up on this type of job, it was highly advised to avoid doing a full pan all at once. The authors said cutting out a full pan all at once you run the risk of the car body twisting some. I can't see that happening but I have never replaced one before either. I would like to do a full pan all at once but had some doubts. What is the opinion here?

I'm replacing the floor pan in a 70 Super Bee and bought the full pan thinking I could get it installed some how. But as many more experienced people know it won't fit through the door or in my case won't go under the car either. I'm going to have to cut it in half I guess. My question is, is it better to cut length wise or side to side maybe where the cross member is ? Any thoughts about the best way to do it?
I would seam it on top of the torsion bar crossmember so the seam isn't visible from the bottom and can be ground flat and smoothed on top.

Our car needs this done to it.
View attachment 362300
When I was reading up on this type of job, it was highly advised to avoid doing a full pan all at once. The authors said cutting out a full pan all at once you run the risk of the car body twisting some. I can't see that happening but I have never replaced one before either. I would like to do a full pan all at once but had some doubts. What is the opinion here?
These cars are stiffer than most people give credit for. I can't see a full pan replacement being a problem as long as the torsion bar crossmember is solid.

Auto Transport Service
Back