• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Florida man hunting for flying discs in gator-filled lake found dismembered

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:08 AM
Reaction score

Florida man hunting for flying discs in gator-filled lake found dismembered​

The body of Florida man who ventured into an alligator-infested lake in search of flying discs was missing three limbs when recovered by authorities, according to a report.
Sean Thomas McGuinness, 47, was found dismembered on May 31 at Taylor Lake in Largo, where he frequently waded into water to retrieve wayward flying discs from a nearby disc golf course to resell, cops told Spectrum Bay News 9.

“When Sean McGuinness was recovered last week, he was observed to be missing three limbs,” Largo police spokeswoman Megan Santo told the outlet.

sean-mcguinness-gator-victim-florida.jpg

largo-park-frisbee-alligator-warning-3.jpg

McGuinness would frequently wade into the alligator-infested Taylor Lake to retrieve flying discs.AP
alligator-caught-largo-park-frisbee-1-1.jpg

Florida Fish and Wildlife trappers caught and killed two alligators after McGuinness’ death.WFLA

A final medical examiner’s report is expected sometime in late July, she said.
“That was the last disc he ever tried to get,” Derek Erskin, 37, who regularly visited Taylor Lake, told the station. “Hopefully he’s at peace now with the lord and that’s the best we can wish for.”

Two weeks before he died, McGuiness, of Largo, was wading chest-deep in the lake inhabited by alligators and realized the risk he was taking, Erskin said.
“He was fully aware,” Erskin continued. “He seemed to be pretty comfortable with what he was doing.”

A park ranger had previously tried to get McGuinness trespassed from the lake, but was unable to find him when they responded on April 11 and April 19, according to public records obtained by the station.

McGuiness had no family in Florida, where he was living with his best friend, Ryan McKinley, 47, for the past eight years, Spectrum Bay News 9 reported.

But McGuiness made a living off reselling the flying discs and Frisbees he recovered from the gator-filled lake where he ultimately died, McKinley said.

“He didn’t ask for handouts – he worked,” McKinley told the station. “He made his living no matter what he had to do and I respected him for that.”

McGuiness also had health issues, including a tumor on his pituitary gland, that forced McKinley to ask him to leave his home in January.

“It started causing problems with my family and that’s why I had to ask him to leave,” McKinley said. “It still kills me to this day, because I do blame myself a little bit.”
Florida Fish and Wildlife trappers caught and euthanized two large alligators in the lake following McGuiness’ death, but necropsies later showed they weren’t involved in the gruesome incident.

largo-park-frisbee-alligator-warning-1-1.jpg

Fellow lake-goer Derek Erskin said McGuinness was fully aware of the risk he was taking.AP
alligator-caught-largo-park-frisbee-feat-1.jpg

Autopsies found that the two euthanized alligators were not involved in McGuinness’ death.WFLA

That realization would’ve likely angered McGuiness, whom McKinley believes wasn’t scared of the inherent risks associated with fetching flying discs from a lake known with alligators due to his failing health.

“He would’ve been upset that they’re killing the gators,” McKinley said of his late friend. “He doesn’t want that.”

Flying Discs...

I was expecting

Flying Saucer - flying Disc.jpg

not frisbee golf & a gator eating 3 of his limbs off a dead dude
& animal control killing 2 of the wrong nonsense gators

2 less problems anyway only in Fla.

He may not have had all his screws in tight but on the other hand he didn't accept handouts, He was gonna earn his keep even if it killed him.... Crazy as that may be I respect it allot more than all the damn 20-30 year olds on the corner looking for handouts...

End of the day a Gators gonna Gator...

Hopefully he hasn't lived long enough to reproduce !!

I have a disturbing picture showing a guy on the losing end of an argument with a gator. Pretty graphic but I'll post it if there is interest.
Let's just say it's a person "in" an alligator suitcase rather than "with" an alligator suitcase.
I found the pic many years ago and never figured I'd ever encounter a conversation that would relate to it.

Some say they taste like chicken. :thumbsup:
When my kids were younger I wanted them to try gator. No way we’re they doing it. I bought some from a place called Captain Porkies, looked like chicken nuggets. Of course they wanted some chicken nuggets, they didn’t have a clue. After they finished I told them what it was, they didn’t believe me. I just showed them the receipt. I told them don’t be afraid to try new things, you’ll never know until you try it.

My wifes aunt lived in Okeechobee Fl. right next to the big lake on a canal lot. Huge gators that would eat the pet dogs and cats all the time.
One of them chomped the *** end off a jet ski once. She used to say that she would miss the last gator as much as she missed the last Dinosaur.

Auto Transport Service
Back