• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Mechanic is in Jail

Bruzilla

Local time
12:44 AM
Reaction score
Well, it took me five months to get an indictment and a warrant, but I got to see my mechanic cuffed and stuffed into the back of a Jacksonville Sheriff's Office car yesterday. I hate to see anyone go off to jail, but damn... I gave this guy every chance in the World to get his act together and square things but he just thought he could ignore the law, ignore me, and ignore everyone else he had screwed. He was charged with theft, theft by deception, larceny, fraud, and fraudulent use of a mechanics lien.

My expectations are that he's going to enter into a plea deal that will knock most of those charges out, but will end up in a probation agreement, which is what has been my goal all along. Part of his probation will be paying me restitution, and that restitution covers not only all the money I paid him but also the replacement value of all parts that are missing and all expenses incurred in getting this matter resolved, so he's going to be on my hook to the tune of a little over $10k.

So here's some lessons learned I wanted to pass along:

First, written contracts really mean nothing for us. They are written by the vendor, always favor the vendor, and when it comes to taking legal action, if it comes down to a He-Said/The-Written-Contract-Says debate, the written contract always wins. This is why it's important to record any conversations you have with your vendor. There are restrictions to recording phone conversations, but personal conversations aren't covered by those laws. Just make sure you record yourself telling them the first time that you're recording their statements and then just slip a recorder (I use an app on my phone) in your pocket every time you talk to them.

Also, check your state laws on verbal contracts. I believe they are legal in all 50, but make sure. If you and a vendor enter into a written contract to provide "X", and then he/she makes a verbal contract to provide "Y", that verbal contract supersedes the written one, but only if you can prove what the verbal contract was made... so record, record, record.

One other note on recording, it makes for great evidence. During one meeting I had with my mechanic I told him he needed to make a deadline or give me a refund, and he said not only wasn't he going to give me a refund but he would put a (mechanics) lien on my car and sell it. Now I knew this was BS as a mechanics lien applies to work being done but not paid for and not work being paid for and not done, but after doing a quick bit of checking of the Florida Codes I found out that misusing a lien, or using it as a threat, is a felony in the Sunshine State and thanks to that recording I had I was able to support that count of the indictment. If I didn't have that recording, there would be no way to prove he ever said it.

Second, document everything! I created a table in a word document that allowed me to enter the date, type, and details of every interaction I had with the vendor. Receipts are nice, but keeping a log of events enables you to show what was going on leading up to each transaction, and that's why my case succeeded where a lot of others failed.

Third, the Better Business Bureau (BBB) is one step shy of worthless. That one step is that filing a report with them enables you to further document your problems with the vendor and validate your claims against him/her. But don't expect the BBB to accomplish anything.

Fourth, be very careful about filing a civil lawsuit! I can't emphasize this one enough! This guy robbed a lot of people, and more than a few of them filed civil lawsuits only to find out that once you file a civil suit, your case cannot be made into a criminal case. You can go from criminal to civil, but not the other way. The folks who sued this guy won their judgements, but he refused to pay and once that happens you can very quickly run up more in unrecoverable legal costs trying to get them to pay than what you'll eventually get.

With a civil action, you have to pay all the legal costs (lawyer costs, filing fees, etc.), but criminal proceedings are free. With a civil judgement, the vendor may pay or not pay, but with a criminal case the vendor will be required to pay restitution, and if they fail to pay it they go to jail or back to jail. So if you can make a criminal case, make it.

Fifth, don't waste a lot of time expecting the police to get anything done on your behalf. They've got speeders, drunks, fighting couples, and dopers to deal with. Call them up, file a report, follow up after two weeks, and don't be surprised when nothing happens. Then... call your States Attorney Office and ask what they have in the way of a Consumer Crimes department or division. Most states have these. Get a hold of them and work through them to get your case made.

good for you Bru, does this guy have any assets worth anything that can be attached to what he owes you, getting a judge to attach restitiution is much different than a small claims verdict...

Who? I'll name the scum sucking crooked Chevy guy who messed up my paint job and should be a cell mate of your guy:
Shelly's Auto Body, Danielsville, Pennsylvania.

good for you Bru, does this guy have any assets worth anything that can be attached to what he owes you, getting a judge to attach restitiution is much different than a small claims verdict...

What's a bit dicey about this case is he has at least three civil judgements against him that I know of... all from Corvette owners. Under the law, these cases, while proven in civil court, are not admissible in criminal court because they are considered as "prior bad acts" and can't be attached to my case. That is unless he wants to push this to a trial. If he does that, when he denies on the stand that he's ever stolen or defrauded anyone, then all those cases get to come in, and I know there's nothing that pisses off judges more than a guy who ignores judges, so he could add the payment of everyone else's claims to any probation agreement.

But I expect there's no way his lawyer is going to advise him to push this case to a trial, and he'll advise him to take a plea deal, which will ensure I get my money back but not necessarily anyone else's.

As for property, I have no idea what he has. I've gone through this process before, and how it works is the terms of his probation will be that he must hold a job, and his paycheck will go to the court who will take out a portion of his pay and mail it to me every month. If he doesn't get/hold a job, he goes direct to jail. If I were him, and I had the ability to, I would just pay off the restitution, but that'll be up to him.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope you recover the money your out B. That really sucks,i guess this guy thought he was going to get over another person,good for you

I think his biggest failing was he's in business as a Limited Liability Corporation (LLC), which gives a person some significant protection from any civil liabilities they incur, but offers zero protection against criminal liabilities. He stated in one conversation I recorded "screw you, screw the cops, and screw everyone else. I'm an LLC so there's nothing you can do to me!" The detective I was working with loved that recording. :)

This was a follow on to that situation. As you read back then, I suspected the kid stole the engine without the shop owner's knowledge, but I was talking to one of the Corvette owners who had filed a civil suit and what happened to him was he had taken his car to the shop to have some engine work done. The shop pulled the engine right away, but did no work. Then when he went to check on what was going on he found out his engine was gone and they had tried to replace it with a similar engine, which is essentially one of the things he just tried to do to me.

I gave him a 73 440 with an 11/2/72 casting date and last month he tried to tell me that a 440 with a 3/77 casting date was the 440 I had given him. Plus it was obviously a truck/RV block and not an automobile block to boot. So between that, and them trying to switch out the Vette guy's motor, I suspect this employee took my 360 with the full knowledge of the shop owner.

Here's the thread this one follows up on:

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?96691-My-Engine-Swap-Saga-Continues

The mechanic is lucky he also didn't get charged with a Rico act since it has been an on-going criminal enterprise.

I remember that one Bru!
Yup, he even had you doubting yourself at first.

Sure thing, I remember you posting that thread.

And, as you guys all know, I too lost BIG on an autobody shop.

As you state Bru; contract in writing helps but is not a 100 percent "win" if you go to court.

Gosh, great work getting this CROOK !!

- - - Updated - - -

Who? I'll name the scum sucking crooked Chevy guy who messed up my paint job and should be a cell mate of your guy:
Shelly's Auto Body, Danielsville, Pennsylvania.

Phoenix Autobody, California City, CA

The mechanic is lucky he also didn't get charged with a Rico act since it has been an on-going criminal enterprise.

RICO really only applies when you're dealing with multiple companies or other bad actors. This was just one. What was beneficial was I kpet my records going.

The first question the States Attorney Office folks had for me was "when did all this happen?" because if it's outside the Statute of Limitations they can't do anything. I told them it started over two years ago and is ongoing, which made their day. :)

i gotta ask,did you ever locate the Supposed machine shop that was working on your motor?

The driving force behind this project was doing things for as low a cost as possible. Not as cheaply as possible, but as low cost as possible. So my plan was to sell the 360/904 combo that was in the car and use that money to offset the costs of the 440/727 install. I was planning on using another shop, and they had a guy who wanted my engine and trans for a Sport Fury with a frozen motor, but that deal fell through. I reposted the engine/trans info on Craigslist and was contacted by a guy who worked at this shop and who wanted the engine and trans for a Valiant that he had.

I took my car to their shop so he could check out the parts, and it turned out he didn't have the money I was asking for. Then he asked if I would be willing to make a deal and trade the parts for a shop credit and have them do the work. I said I had no problem as long as the shop owner didn't. So we had a sit down, and the owner agreed to give me a credit for the work and his employee would pay him back by working evenings and weekends.

Great concept, but not the right people to execute it with. :( Although the folks who paid him for his efforts fared no better than I did. What really sucks is this guy really is a great mechanic. I've watched him building engines, rebuilding rear ends, installing A/C systems, doing body work. He really knows his stuff, but he's also a conniving crook.

Man, if you're a great mechanic etc, you don't have to be a crook to make excellent money because customers will find you by word of mouth! I started doing rear end work in the 80's when I couldn't find anyone around my area that was willing to work on Mopar stuff for a reasonable price. Word got out that I was doing my own work and after doing a couple of jobs for others, it wasn't long before I had more work than I wanted.

Man I hope I don't get taken from this body shop up north of me, so far it's been two weeks and he can't seem to find the time to email me the estimate / invoice for the deposit and when asked if he would be able to get the car done by the end of the year he was like let me ask the body guy. Going to take a day off and travel the 2 hours to go visit see what happens. I suspect he thought he was going to be able to use my deposit to fund his crew's payroll for a couple of months and not touch my car which he is about to find out would not be a good thing :)

Glad you got a criminal indictment for this guy you have been after hopefully you get all your money plus some back!

Bruz
great that you took this guy out! you do want him to get probation because he needs to be working in order to pay you back!!!

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/cour...cle_e5fe35f2-3919-53c0-ab8a-fbd41f37766c.html

This guy is about wait....was about 5 miles from me. I always ask around and HIS name popped up as one not to do business with for any reason. It was kinda funny I stopped in because there was a 66 Mustang that had not moved for 3 years. I stop and ask and he goes on and on about what a great car it was and if I used him to restore it....the car was going to be worth thousands and thousands 40 I believe.....and he only wanted 6500. guys i've looked at lots of cars....this was a 2000 dollar car at best. I never let on to anybody I know what I'm talking about when i look at cars ...so he just ran that mouth and ran that mouth.

Anyway one of our club members got his hands on the video where they cuffed this ole boy UP....by our Texas Rangers. Seems he sold a 69 matching numbers Z for 75,000 or so....and the buyer decided to verify when he received it. OOPs it was an ebay deal and it seems that carries some kind of over state lines additional fun to it!

and the video was less than a week later after i stopped in.

Mr B i read the original first post once again,well i read it to first part about were and how you got involved with this bozo
I think the problem is your to honest and trusting of a person. If the world was full of guys like you we'd have no problems like the one your describing
Not to be critical but as soon as i read the arrangement you described i knew there was a good chance of a problem if for no other reason you trusted these guys to do the right thing. Maybe I'm to cautious,to suspicious or to old and yes i still get screwed every now and then but i never found these kinds of deals to work out. Good luck to you

Not too many people have the determination to follow through, as you have with your efforts. Well done.

Good...
It's about time...
IIRC hasn't this crap been going on since last year, almost or about 2+ years now all together ?
back when the engine was stolen by his employee, constant put off on the trade deal, etc. etc. etc....

for what its worth i for one will thank Bruz...this is a sticky note of information and procedure

Auto Transport Service
Back