• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flying H Dragstrip - Kansas City, Missouri

There was a video on it last summer. A experienced drag strip builder is in charge and they said it would be ready next summer. The Topeka track was closed and they want to pick up that national event.

Evidently it was a mining area that was refurbished. I remember when it was for sale and they had the strip graded out and nothing else was there.

964CA7BF-9F02-4563-B60D-586349055226.jpeg

Last edited:
I used to race in Kansas City International raceway (KCIR). It closed years ago and was in the middle of KC, left a big void in the area, they had a nice mopar event. At KCIR I was runner up in pro with the charger. Flying H looks to be a nice track, but it sure doesn't look like it can handle the attendance like Topeka did, pits look small too.
Sadly heartland park Topeka is being dismantled and sold off. It was a awesome facilty.Rip... I considered it my home track.

Last edited:
That's great news. It's amazing that a new drag strip facility is being built anywhere in 2023. NHRA should be tripping over themselves to help out however they can.

Two legendary tracks relatively local to me (ETown and Atco) that had been in operation since the '60s abruptly closed without warning within the last few years. These decisions were obviously driven by money which is fine but in both cases the owners sold out to entities that had no intention of keeping the tracks in operation. F.U. racers!

ETown held the Summernationals which was basically the only national event in the NY/Northeast area. There are so many racers around this region the closings left a huge hole. The two closest tracks to me now are both 2 hours one way in other states. One can only hope that more tracks will get built or refurbished in the coming years.

Attend those events gang! Make these tracks viable and keep our sport alive for the future.

Watch the video, the guy says there will be plenty of room in the pits, amd with NGRA limiting the entry’s at nationals should be easy to fit them in.

Las vegas limits Stock eliminator to 75 cars for the national, then the next week for the divisional they have 85 cars. A few years ago they had 140 cars, was common to have over 100 cars before the fuel somehow magically doubled a couple years ago

Auto Transport Service
Back