• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FM3 70 Charger 5.7 Hemi swap

Gas Tank Fuel Pump

Had some other fall projects had to finish but I did get the Charger back on the lift while I am waiting on the ECM to get back from being reprogramed. Got the gas tank out and started installing the in tank pump. Got an idea from the web so here's some pictures of the progress. This is just a mock up and my plans are to route the fuel out the tank through a bulkhead fitting and do the electrical the same way with a wiring bulkhead connector.

Attachments

• DSC00016.JPG
    DSC00016.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 847
  • DSC00020.JPG
    DSC00020.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 858
  • DSC00023.JPG
    DSC00023.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 811
Your gonna need some type of sump in there, got plans for that?

Your gonna need some type of sump in there, got plans for that?

Well over 30 days later from you question, I'm going to leave it like it is for now. I finally did get the ECM back and them decide to go ahead and order the wiring harness. It should be here around the last of the month.. The exhaust system is hooked up and the Charger is back on its wheels. It's been a parts waiting game for the last month along with the holidays and weather....... I can't seem to get much done.

Update 3-10-14

Well the Pink Charger has come alive...I bought a stand alone harness (well worth the money if you value your time at all) and got it installed. This solved several problems. It started and ran well. I did get a chance to road test it and set my throttle pressure to get my shift points and full throttle kick down correct on the transmission. The new stand alone harness did allow me to relocate the ECM from my original spot I was going to put it. This new location made a lot of room around the glove box area. I was able to re-install the glove box and used it for mounting the fuse holder and relays for the new harness. I have the instrument panel out of the car now recalibrating the gauges and checking the switches and speedo. head. After driving it I thought I had a dry or broken speedo. but it looks great for its age. In fact all the instruments took very little adjusting. A new speedometer cable is coming.

Attachments

• DSC00116.JPG
    DSC00116.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 661
  • DSC00029.JPG
    DSC00029.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 675
  • DSC00037.JPG
    DSC00037.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 674
you are doing very nice work, if you have some completed pics of the A/C lines on the engine would you be able to post them?

A/C lines

Here's the pictures of the A/C hoses and lines. The hose fittings out of the compressor were custom made using the original 07 Truck donor lines and fitting them to this application. This was done for hood clearance. The compressor is also the donor truck oem stuff. Look around the engine compartment and you will see what I used from the truck for this Hemi swap.

- - - Updated - - -

This is where I located my fuse panel and relays for the new wiring harness and was still able to have some glove box usage.

Attachments

• DSC00123.JPG
    DSC00123.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 667
  • DSC00122.JPG
    DSC00122.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 653
  • DSC00121.JPG
    DSC00121.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 654
  • DSC00120.JPG
    DSC00120.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 638
  • DSC00119.JPG
    DSC00119.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 645
  • DSC00118.JPG
    DSC00118.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 642
  • DSC00117.JPG
    DSC00117.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 644
  • DSC00126.JPG
    DSC00126.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 647
  • DSC00124.JPG
    DSC00124.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 662
Last edited:
Thanks for the information, have the same set up and wasn't impressed with the compressor fittings. Nice solution, saves installing a scoop to clear the A/C lines!

Looks great! Just was wondering if with the fuel pump in the tank and the back seat in can you here the pump when you are driving? I installed my fuel pump the same way but, do not the back seat in the car and it is very loud inside of the car. I am running Hooker hearers and turbo flow mufflers. Have you put the hood on yet? I also used the same truck lines and through I had clearance however I now have a small dent in hood were the line hit.

No, the pump is not loud at all. The back seat is in and the exhaust is not that loud. My A/C lines don't hit the hood. I did have the suction and discharge lines made with the original truck fittings.

Thanks, guess I will not worry about any extra sound proofing for the back of my car. Not sure what my ac lines can off of just went to the junk yard and cut the ends off a bunch of different cars and used the ones that fit the best. Thanks again

Thanks for the compliment. You guys do some nice work also. This was a functional swap keeping in mind the owner wanted a practical driver with reliability and old school style. I wanted to make it look like this 5.7 was installed like the factory would.

Project done, Panther Pink Charger is Going Home

Charger 1.jpgDSC00145.JPGDSC00144.JPGDSC00143.JPGDSC00135.JPGDSC00132.JPGDSC00131.JPGDSC00130.JPGDSC00128.JPGDSC00127.JPGCharger 2.jpgDSC00146.JPGWell the gig is over. The Panther Pink Charger goes home tomorrow. I had to change the 904 lock up converter valve spring to get a higher MPH shift to lock up. A&A Transmission had what I needed, worked great. But other than that all seems to be working as planned. I'm posting some final pictures. This is the finished project. if you didn't raise the hood you would not know it has a Hemi in it.... But Yea, that thing has a Hemi in it.........

Very nice. I've been mulling this swap over for a while now and may just have to find something to put a 5.7 in just for the hell of it.

go ahead and do it.....I'd like one for my self, I just don't know what I'd like to start with. Thanks for the comment.

Poly Locks for B-Body with TTI brackets to swap the 5.7 Hemi to the B-Body K member

Thanks. Did you have any trans crossmember issues, I'm going 4 spd, from what I've read nobody had alignment problems

Auto Transport Service
Back