• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For all of You Train Lovers

1701145951487.png

Pretty much every train that you see is running on roller bearing axles. When I started on the railroad in 1978, more than half of the rolling stock still used friction bearings, a large babbit lined brass bearing riding on top of a polished axle journal. These were a chore to take apart when wheels needed changing, so roller bearings wheelsets were great because the wheels just dropped out when you lifted the trucks.

However, at one point someone got the idea to conserve some old equipment and so they decided to convert friction bearing trucks to accept roller bearings. That way they could re-use the two old truck sides. As you can see in this example, the lids have been removed, no longer being needed to keep the oil bath clean and dry.

View attachment 1518526
While this idea worked in practice, it was soon abandoned as the inconvenience of dismantling the whole assembly to change a wheel was still necessary, greatly adding to repair times as compared to the more modern roller bearing trucks.
Note the '6X11' cast into the center bolster, this shows what size axle the truck was designed for. Such a small bearing (6" diameter, 11" length) is seldom seen these days, with 6 1/2 X 12 being a lot more common.
The first time I saw that I thought someone messed up or the cap fell off and was running dry after who knows for how long and figured it wouldn't be long before it was going to burn up lol

1703568653461.png
1703568724031.png
1703568771191.png
1703568804687.png

I don't even remember where this was any more, some little town I drove through while driving around British Columbia in 2016.

Auto Transport Service
Back