• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For all of You Train Lovers

We have this one giving rides in OKC in November at the Oklahoma Railway Museum. The day I saw it there were clouds of black smoke billowing out of the stack trailing along behind the engine. I felt sorry for all the passengers riding in open cars, cough, cough. They got the real train experience.

126-SCRM-transfercaboose-resized.jpg

Last edited:
Wiley it’s all about “old,big iron”. And for anybody interested the cuyahoga valley railroad below Cleveland runs a railroad also. The “Polar Express” runs there every Christmas time.
Yeah, I 've been to Strasburg a few times, just curious about that railroad at New Hope he posted.

This is the best i can do to explain about this train.
The New Hope & Ivyland Railroad is nestled 37 miles outside of Philadelphia in Bucks County’s premiere destination; New Hope, Pennsylvania. A Delaware river town chock-full of niche shops and resturants, a fitting locale for a day or night out with friends & family. We provide a glimpse into travel of a bygone era on historic trains traveling over tracks that were laid in 1891 by the North-East Pennsylvania Railroad.

Join us on an entertaining and educational adventure perfect for riders of all ages and interests as you journey through the hills and valleys of beautiful Bucks County.

Relive the golden age of rail travel and take a front row seat as you take in the passing scenery of streams, scenic farmland, historic buildings, bridges and surroundings. On-board narration, provided on most trips, detail the history and folklore of the railroad, the towns, as well as points of interest along the line.

The New Hope & Ivyland Railroad hosts year-round journeys that capture the mystique of rail travel;
Traditional Excursions featuring live narration, our newest excursion “The Buckingham Valley” an extended evening version of our Traditional Excursion, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner on the rails, Specialty seasonal excursions, notably our Fall Foliage trips in October, and our famous, annual family tradition “The North Pole Express”
Sorry to so long to get an answer, had to get home from work.
Not sure if they still do this or not, but for a fee you can ride in the engine for the trip.

Last edited:
Sorry khryslerkid did not mean to high jack this.
Yeah, I 've been to Strasburg a few times, just curious about that railroad at New Hope he posted.
Above is about the train in town, this is just the town it's self. New Hope PA and Lambertville NJ across the bridge. Both towns walking distance for stores and small little restaurants.
Lambertville_600.jpg

2084.jpg

xlambertville-main-stx800.jpg.pagespeed.ic.rd4GKfJyv0.jpg

6a013485fc7752970c0134887000a6970c-800wi.jpg

Not far from here is Washington crossing and some spots along the way to take in the history of the Revolutionary War. Bowmans's Tower below and a view looking towards New Hope.
img_0959-1-copy.jpg

bowman-s-hill-tower.jpg

This area of PA and Jersey is filled with so much history and things to do. You can walk the trails and come across stone walls still standing from the war, see old building for headquarters and on and on. Does not matter what season of the year, each season has it's place there.

Sorry khryslerkid did not mean to high jack this.

You're not doing anything of the kind. The more post about trains the better. They bring out the "Kid" in me and I'm sure it happens to others also. This time of year, trains just have a special meaning to me with the holidays and all!

All Aboard!

Love the old trains and steam engines. I vaguely remember many many years ago hearing that a steam engine would be running through Lansing. Some kind of anniversary run. It was very cool seeing it run through town. Looks like a cool museum there in PA.

We have a steam train short rail nearby in Metamora. Its a town attraction along with a horse drawn canal boat ride. Town is near Batesville if anyone wants to look it up.

When I was a kid, we went to my Uncle Walter in Detroit (he worked at Hamtramck). One evening I'm at my cousin LL baseball game, behind the field I'm watching this long, never-ending train with countless car-carriers. I was mesmerized gazing as the train rolled endlessly.

We road a lot of them back many years ago.
Gettysburg RR
Something up in Scranton we left out of Steamtown, went over a very high cement viaduct.
WK&S Hawk mt. www.kemptontrain.com/
East Broad Top RR and the Trollies
Strasburg
Stewartstown
The PRR #1361 when in was in York, the same engine that sat on the Curve, Horseshoe Curve in Altoona.
Muddy Creek Forks http://www.maandparailroad.com/
Middletown and Hummelstown, Milk and Honey Line http://www.mhrailroad.com/
New Hope https://www.newhoperailroad.com/
Lehigh Gorge RR https://www.lgsry.com/regular-schedule/
Oil creek and Titusville http://www.octrr.org/
Tioga Central http://tiogacentral.com/
I almost forgot the most stinkenest, smokiest slowest rail road, Cass RR. https://wvstateparks.com/park/cass-scenic-railroad-state-park/
The photos go back 34 years, YIKES!
I just thought of riding those little low roof rail cars that went down in the coal mines around Pennsylvania. yep they took you down in to the mines. http://www.pioneertunnel.com/

Last edited:
2009-06-24 Hawaii 030.jpg
Back in 2009, my wife and I went on this little narrow gauge tourist train in Maui. A real steam engine from the plantation days, it burned sugar cane for fuel.

Love the steamers, any locomotive for that matter. It's the private rail cars that get my attention. What a way to ride back in the day.
Hey Photon 440, Yup, that is part of the Credit Valley Express. Dome car was sold last year do to my client's health, Two Can Cars, one Caboose, and one dinning car.
Seeing that you mentioned the 1939 King and Queen ride, I had an opportunity a couple of years ago to view two private rail cars for some work. A gentleman named David Womsley, had his personel 1905 car hidden away with the Mother Parkers, Pacific. The Pacific was one of the eleven cars for the Royal ride. Note the roof, that was rounded off for security reasons, and the rear porch, now open as apposed to closed, again for security reasons. Both cars, truly fit for a King..
DSC00948.JPG
DSC00949.JPG

Above photo, Pacific is the lower pic, google it for inside photo's

The term.....RUN EIGHT.....The conductors licence plate on his Mustang.... Means FULL THROTTLE.

Wow...Signed off, walked away, and it hit me..... The Royal Ride, what was invented and set off into the market place for that trip .

The birth of ...... Crown Royal Whisky!!!!!!

Last edited:
It's on my "to do" list.

I've been to The B&O museum in Baltimore, where I ran into an old friend.

In 1976 I won the city's American Freedom Train coloring contest, and got a cab ride into the station, breakfast, and a VIP back stage tour.

The Museum has the Reading 2101/AFT #1 4-8-4, that pulled the train on the Eastern leg in '75/76.

Somewhere I have a pic of 8 year old me with my hand on the throttle, under steam, and now I have 40 something year old me posed in front.

I passed the B&O/NYC/DT&I yards every day going to elementary school, and the PRR/PC ran about 1.5 miles behind my house.

Above photo, Pacific is the lower pic, google it for inside photo's

The term.....RUN EIGHT.....The conductors licence plate on his Mustang.... Means FULL THROTTLE.

Wow...Signed off, walked away, and it hit me..... The Royal Ride, what was invented and set off into the market place for that trip .

The birth of ...... Crown Royal Whisky!!!!!!
For those wondering what the RUN EIGHT is all about, diesel electric locomotives don't have a 'gas pedal' on the floor like a car or truck. Since the electric motors deliver the actual power to the wheels, the engineer has a hand control for the power application that has eight notches, plus idle. Running notch one will give minimal power, through to notch eight which is max.

By the way, most of those big EMD and GE engines have a max rpm of about 900 rpm at full power. The biggest engines in Canada on the CN and CP are usually in the 4400 hp. range, but larger engines are available. With steeper grades, Union Pacific has some 6000 hp. locomotives. However, pulling a heavy load like 12,000 tons of coal usually involve several locomotives together.

The less glamorous side of trains...working on them. This is a view I saw many times while doing train inspections. Walk up and down a few 5,000 foot tracks like this and your mind gets numb. I took this in 2009.
inspecting.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back