• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For all of You Train Lovers

Here is one of those Propane tankers that were off loaded and was not permitted to cool down after before recapping the turret..... Basically it imploded overnight as you see it
TVacPwr1[1].jpg
TVacPwr2[1].jpg

Last edited:
Coal loads leaving Mandan North Dakota headed East crossing the Missouri River into Bismarck North Dakota headed for Dilworth Minnesota 2006ish. I was operating trains on this day and remember a photographer crouched on the hill around this time. So it's possible I'm running this train . Yes I am a Locomotive Engineer.

FB_IMG_1612685789222.jpg

Here is one of those Propane tankers that were off loaded and was not permitted to cool down after before recapping the turret..... Basically it imploded overnight as you see itView attachment 1065537 View attachment 1065538
That was a liquid tanker, not pressurized. It had been steam purged prior to being sent to the shop. After steam injection, the valves were closed, and a vacuum resulted.
UN number 1993, was probably fuel oil.
3.jpg

When these events happen, they don't slowly cave in. They go with a bang.

That was a liquid tanker, not pressurized. It had been steam purged prior to being sent to the shop. After steam injection, the valves were closed, and a vacuum resulted.
UN number 1993, was probably fuel oil.
View attachment 1065784
When these events happen, they don't slowly cave in. They go with a bang.

I believe you are correct... I remember the day after seeing it and thought was over night.

Thanks for the correction..

A photo of my with my brothers, dad and granddad....... we lived in Scobey Montana in the early 1950s

The second picture is what it looks like today... tracks are still there.... with the Burlington Northern. Part of my Railroad heritage.

about 1953-4 - Copy (2).jpg
toole-co-galata-3-elevatorsGreat Northern RR.jpg

A collision with a logging truck a few years ago. I got this email back in 2014.

CN train that hit a log truck on the Redditt sub (between
Winnipeg MB and Sioux Lookout ON) at Sunstrum, ON (mile 38). Lead unit was the 5146 a GMDL SD40. Seeing the truck on the crossing before hitting it with the train, the engineer hit the deck below the window level and the head end brakeman ducked down behind the wall and door under the middle windows, that leads down to the bathroom.
Both made it out alive. Anywhere there was glass, the pulp logs loaded cross wise on the truck, penetrated into the cab including through the number boards.

upload_2021-2-15_10-18-39.png
upload_2021-2-15_10-18-52.png
upload_2021-2-15_10-19-15.png
upload_2021-2-15_10-19-26.png

It usually has something to do with vehicles being on the tracks. Very seldom does a train travel down a road or highway to bang into someone. :)

I was surprised during one of my freight train inspections while with the Border Patrol by the answer the old engineer gave me to the question: Have you ever struck a vehicle before? Answer: "Many times".

The first train my daughters rode on was The Cass Scenic Railway in West Virginia. They run Shay Engines up an old logging railroad with switchbacks.
WSII-CGCBK-1024x683.jpg

A
HazMat.jpg
BNSF Railway HazMat caboose was pushed into snow coach duty in Vancouver, Wash., over the weekend. Photo by Randall Pratt.

Owned stock in BNSF before Warren Buffet took over.

It was -17 and this poor brakeman was out there while the wife and I were in the train eating beef tenderloin

27D1457E-6906-4C1D-BB50-2960A174D502.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back