• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happened on the crack
Read post #199

Long story short I followed correctly what to do but speaking to the air grabber expert he thinks it was mainly due just to the age of the material. They check completely over the units closely for any cracks, hairline cracks, etc but in his records there was none in the center section. Shipping is also a factor, no matter how well they are packed. Dropping the box, shifting in the truck or even vibration, who knows.....

Don said it will look new again and stronger than before and he will get it back to me asap:thumbsup:

Oh I saw the text. Yes this nearly 50 year old stuff can be really brittle. I admit I've broken a few things too. Luckily I have a well insulated garage so the neighbors don't hear me cuss a blue streak!

Oh I saw the text. Yes this nearly 50 year old stuff can be really brittle. I admit I've broken a few things too. Luckily I have a well insulated garage so the neighbors don't hear me cuss a blue streak!
Lol, I wanted to throw something so badly but I was in the middle of the engine bay.....Glad the wife wasn't home, I too have a well insulated garage and it sounded like a sailor festival for a bit.....I am sure a couple neighbors heard me....

Then the kick in the nuts was having to remove the rivets without scratching or damaging anything else.....It is off the car and on it's way back now..

If it makes feel better my day today wasn't very productive either. But at least I didn't damage anyhing. I've finally learned to walk away when thing aren't going well.

My faithful friend wasn't too worried about it.....
IMG_20170414_171008490_HDR.jpg

Homer doh.png

that sucks Justin. at least Don can fix it...just a little bump in the journey....otherwise she's lookin great!!!

Rear taillights

Finally got motivated and tackled the taillights....Original pot metal housings were done by Pauls chrome in PA. They were then sent to Totally Auto to apply the silver and black accent paint. The hardware, lens screws and housing nuts were done by Totally Auto and the lenses are NOS. The inner housing are the original CAD finish and did not require plating. Reflective silver was redone in the inside of the housings and the gaskets were from DMT.

####Notice the dip lines in the trunk####

DSC04739.JPG
DSC04740.JPG
DSC04741.JPG
DSC04742.JPG
DSC04743.JPG
DSC04744.JPG
DSC04745.JPG
DSC04746.JPG
DSC04747.JPG

wait, you mean to tell me Totally Auto offers painting of parts??

I wonder if they will do my bezels and tail panel for the GTX? hmmm....

Call and ask for Chas tell him I sent you his way....I have been using Dave and his team for years for plating, small parts restoration and painting parts. They do great work and are 100% for the customer..If anything's fails they will redo and no questions asked...

Call and ask for Chas tell him I sent you his way....I have been using Dave and his team for years for plating, small parts restoration and painting parts. They do great work and are 100% for the customer..If anything's fails they will redo and no questions asked...

holy crap. that's awesome! thanks Justin!

They did mine; 1969 Sport Satellite, back in late 2010. They told me up front they send the pot metal parts out to Paul's Playing for repair & plating. Once that's done, Totally Auto finishes details/painting. My car being a Sport Satellite got black accent paint, whereas GTX will be red. After d*cking around with repro parts that didn't come CLOSE to fitting properly, I decided to bite the bullet and let T/A & Paul's restore my originals. I am fortunate that Totally Auto is close by. They did this for me late 2009. I picked up everything 3/24/2010. Taillight bezels and tail panel. Awesome job...NOT cheap. It was worth it to me though. If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to help. One thing I should mention; the original owners retired and sold to new crew...I think they are folks that have worked there for years, so don't let that scare you away.

They did mine; 1969 Sport Satellite, back in late 2010. They told me up front they send the pot metal parts out to Paul's Playing for repair & plating. Once that's done, Totally Auto finishes details/painting. My car being a Sport Satellite got black accent paint, whereas GTX will be red. After d*cking around with repro parts that didn't come CLOSE to fitting properly, I decided to bite the bullet and let T/A & Paul's restore my originals. I am fortunate that Totally Auto is close by. They did this for me late 2009. I picked up everything 3/24/2010. Taillight bezels and tail panel. Awesome job...NOT cheap. It was worth it to me though. If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to help. One thing I should mention; the original owners retired and sold to new crew...I think they are folks that have worked there for years, so don't let that scare you away.
Sorry-that should have said late 2009. Dropped my parts of there 12/22/09..got them back 3/24/2010.

Sorry-that should have said late 2009. Dropped my parts of there 12/22/09..got them back 3/24/2010.

that's really not a bad turnaround. I was expecting it to be $$$$, but if they are perfect, it's worth it then.

Yeah, pricey. I'm not sure of etiquette, regarding price, but I'm fine with what I paid. I'm second owner, and knew the people I bought my car from. It was my first car, so it's priceless to ME. Any questions, feel free to contact me.
that's really not a bad turnaround. I was expecting it to be $$$$, but if they are perfect, it's worth it then.

Yeah, pricey. I'm not sure of etiquette, regarding price, but I'm fine with what I paid. I'm second owner, and knew the people I bought my car from. It was my first car, so it's priceless to ME. Any questions, feel free to contact me.

thank you, Lexi.

The price is what it is. I have learned you get what you pay for. I wouldnt mind paying the price for my GTX'er. Although I may still tackle the tail panel resto myself, as the GTX has a while to go before I take her out of mothballs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back