• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great info Tom...thank you!

The attendant there said they are not allowed to touch or even dust that car!

It is a beautiful restoration....big money spent restoring that car...
I think that car is gone in April

That’s a rare gem.....most people don’t have a clue about these cars....when I first saw it I thought of the Golden Commandos
I think there will be at least three if not four gone out of this display but replaced with other cars. If you go there at least every 6 months you can catch different cars throughout the different displays. I personally go once a month to keep up.

Justin, you need to see the Auburn/Cord/Duesenberg musuem in Auburn, IN if you haven't been there already. I want to go back again with more time to take it all in.

Justin, you need to see the Auburn/Cord/Duesenberg musuem in Auburn, IN if you haven't been there already. I want to go back again with more time to take it all in.
Thanks for pointing that out....I remember watching the American Pickers and they went there.....

Cord’s are my second favorite behind bergs.....

Looks like another road trip is in order since now I am closer than my previous address...

Thanks!

Last edited:
You will definitely enjoy it.

20160726_115405.jpg 20160726_120921.jpg 20160726_115400.jpg 20160726_114012.jpg

A couple of my favorite color combos..and i LOVE the boat tail body style.

20160726_115650.jpg 20160726_114718.jpg

The total number of car companies and the fact that many of them transitioned from making carriages to making automobiles is amazing. They have some very early horseless carriages there too. We only had about 1 1/2 hrs to look around. That is NOT enough time to take it all in.

The total number of car companies and the fact that many of them transitioned from making carriages to making automobiles is amazing. They have some very early horseless carriages there too. We only had about 1 1/2 hrs to look around. That is NOT enough time to take it all in.
That definitely was not enough time but hey gives a reason to go back.....

Hence is why my hats off to the people that have restored these fine machines and the few left to find to restore......Preservation of history is very important for all generations.......

These cars remind me of the 1979 mini series The Last Convertible even though the the car in the series was a Packard.

What do you do when your car is away and no other car to work on? Well, you buy a group of original ball joints and tie rod ends to restore......Yeap, I am down to restoring small parts...lol

After much collaboration with top level restorers and knowledgeable mopar aficionados along with comparing survivor cars. I believe we have nailed down assembly line lower ball joints for 1969. This is a near impossible challenge and Big D put that final nail in the coffin, lol...There are so many flipping variations of these castings, casting numbers and markings. The OTC NOS with the correct PN are very close but not assembly line. There is no reference in any manual for the casting numbers to go buy. The lowers ball joints on the assembly line had a distinctive rib and dimple. The top side had "forging made in Canada" casted.

025 22-4002-odd number is the driver side
024 22-4003-even number is the passenger side
IMG_2077.JPG
IMG_2078.JPG
IMG_2079.JPG
IMG_2080.JPG

IMG_2073.JPG
IMG_2074.JPG
IMG_2075.JPG
IMG_2076.JPG

Last edited:
Here is lot of original tie rod ends for 1969

2072434 is the inner
2835885 is the outer

IMG_2081.JPG
IMG_2082.JPG
IMG_2085.JPG

Nice.. can they be rebuilt?
Believe it or not but only 1 lower ball joint and i tie rod is loose.......All others are fairly tight. These were picked from a large group of originals.....

For the ones to get rebuilt...I am going to inquire with Kanter to see if this can be done. Supposedly, they rebuild them but that is a matter of doing that while retaining the original look....Hence is why I got those 2 to try at least....

I will update on the restoration of those and if I am able to get some rebuilt.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back