• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are neat, I've never seen them. I'm getting the stainless steel one above that one.. Thanks Justin, Everytime I check your thread I am amazed and/or learn something.

Last edited:
Rear package tray trim installed....Getting ready for glass...

IMG_0559.JPG

Paint "OK" stamp based on assembly plant Lynch Road...Special thanks to Darrin for supplying the correct stamp!

IMG_0560.JPG

Installing some decals....

IMG_0561.JPG
IMG_0562.JPG
IMG_0564.JPG
IMG_0565.JPG

Your documentation of this process is flawless.
Very helpful for us "noobs", thanks..

Those are neat, I've never seen them. I'm getting the stainless steel one above that one.. Thanks Justin, Everytime I check your thread I am amazed and/or learn something.
DK

Good to see you my friend...funny thing is totally auto played it and they asked half the people in the shop WTH is this thing and we're about to call me....a couple old timers brought them to speed..

I had no clue they existed till a member posted about them a long time ago..

Thanks for the compliments

Justin

top notch! looking better every time I log in. it must be hard not to smile.

Justin,
You really are doing an incredible job. I know you have received a lot of compliments on your build and rightly so. I just want to add that your knowledge, passion and determination to get every detail correct is truely inspirational. I also appreciate reading your indepth decriptions. I have learnt a lot from your build so thank you for that. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your efforts come to fruition.

Justin,
You really are doing an incredible job. I know you have received a lot of compliments on your build and rightly so. I just want to add that your knowledge, passion and determination to get every detail correct is truely inspirational. I also appreciate reading your indepth decriptions. I have learnt a lot from your build so thank you for that. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your efforts come to fruition.
Frank

I know someone that personally knows you. His exact words was, "That guy Frank, he knows his sh##." He is a son of a wonderful gent by the name of Igor and his son had wonderful things to say about you and your history.

Thank you for your kind words and compliments....I am glad you can tread through my choppy descriptions but I try my best to explain the processes. Thanks for the post that literally made my day!

Justin

Been silently following along with your awesome build Justin. Gotta say your attention to detail and the way you explain the restoration process is second to none. Just hope you aren't afraid to put a bunch of miles on it when completed. You and Darrin should sit down and write a book someday lol. Your GTX and his A12 are a couple of the finest around.

Looking good Justin! On the lower column bearing...how tight of a fit should the bearing have on the shaft? My new and old bearings both slide up and down the length of the shaft and I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a press fit like the upper bearing or not.

Steering column is my #3 thing I procrastinate.....

Be sure to document everything during disassembly it saves you tons of time.....It has been debated that the ends of the columns were dipped to the level of the bearing or they were natural. Many experts side that they were dipped and few say was plant dependent. However, there is no question my was dipped, see pics below...
View attachment 506414 View attachment 506415 View attachment 506416 View attachment 506418 View attachment 506420 View attachment 506421 View attachment 506424 View attachment 506431

It's amazing the parts they are still useing in '69.

Here's my '62 column post #191. I have more pics not posted.
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/taking-up-new-residence.114133/page-10

It is mopar...they got it right the first time...lol

I always enjoy cruising through your thread lots of great pics of restoration/assembly....I also like your small parts blast canister, very cool!

Same here, I'm enjoying your build also. Takes me back to when I worked on these cars for a living. I repaired all makes but when a Mopar came in the shop it was normally a "in and out job". Others could be a pain. That's why I've always favored these cars.

Keep up the great work :thumbsup:

Been silently following along with your awesome build Justin. Gotta say your attention to detail and the way you explain the restoration process is second to none. Just hope you aren't afraid to put a bunch of miles on it when completed. You and Darrin should sit down and write a book someday lol. Your GTX and his A12 are a couple of the finest around.
Hunt2elk

I appreciate you no longer being silent! Thank you for the kind words and compliments, much appreciated. Now when it comes to miles....you measure in miles and I will be measuring in feet, lol.....It will see some drive time....

When comes to Darrin....I have to give credit where credit is due....He has been a massive help with my project. From the 100% correct new parts he has done for me and to clarifying some detail items. Darrins knowledge and research on Plymouths is as you noted above, second to none. He is a true assest to the Mopar community.....

As far as writing a book, Darrin is the professor and I am stuck in Kindergarten in comparison, lol.....

Thank you again,

Justin

Looking good Justin! On the lower column bearing...how tight of a fit should the bearing have on the shaft? My new and old bearings both slide up and down the length of the shaft and I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a press fit like the upper bearing or not.
Chris

Thanks for the compliment

They do slide up and down the shaft. The slot and the two screws hold the retainer in place. So yours is correct...

Justin

This car is amazing Justin. I remember back when I rebuilt mine (I will not say restored, as that term is possibly wrong in comparison to what you are presenting to everyone here) the bodywork took nearly 3 years to come together with paint, ready to buff. I allowed myself a 2 week period off work for the final assembly. Granted, I did have some parts sitting there waiting to place on the car, but no where near the extent you have gone to. I take my hat off to your workmanship and skill, and your obvious amount of patience to achieve the final goal of perfection.
My two-week stint got real tight with the last 3 days being sleepless before arriving at the Concours Show in 2002 with some very obvious flaws and missing items....luckily very few were discovered by the judges. I guess presenting some classic American Muscle at a predominantly British car show was always going to throw a spanner in the works. Never mind...ended up placing 4th by a mere 14 points to the winner - and 13 of those were due to age points - to my disadvantage obviously. I'll take a technical second thanks. :D

If I knew then what I know now....I would probably have taken 3 months off work to perform the same tasks. I mean, we only fired the engine for the first time less than 18 hours before driving the 10 miles to the show.....and the front and rear windscreens only went in on the Friday before (2 days). Wheel alignment was done with a set of vintage manual gauges in my garage on the floor, by an expert aligner. The interior coat hooks above the doors were upside down (thanks to my brother) - but that wasn't spotted by any of the judges. :rolleyes:
The judges did spend a lot of time looking down the panel work....and they spent more time on my car than any other - it showed with an extremely high score in that area. They were baffled as to how such a good finish could be achieved on such a hideous American piece of trash.
I suspect we turned their thinking upside-down that day. :lol:

Keep it going, and don't ever compromise time for the finished look. You only get one chance to be perfect now. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back