• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
popcrn.gif

Love this!

Is the trans painted or what is surfes treated whit ?
M.

Is the trans painted or what is surfes treated whit ?
M.
Mike

The trans is natural cast finish treated with a product called Boeshield T9. The trans was sent to Brewers and was cleaned and rebuilt. I told them to coat the exterior with WD40 when they ship it back. I cleaned the exterior, changed out the bolts with the original ones I had phosphated, placed the speedo gear unit in and placed the markings/letters. After that I sprayed a heavy coat of Boeshield T9 and 24hrs later coated it a second time.

Keep in mind everything is protected until you touch it with your bare hands. So handle with gloves as much as you can. If you do handle the item without gloves just respray the T9 and your fine. The trans does not get hot enough to burn the T9 off. Periodically, I respray the T9 on all bare parts and phosphate parts/bolts.

I have tried just about everything out there and T9 has held up the best and does not alter the finish/appearance. My second option is a spray preventer from Napa. If you do get some surface rust they have a surface rust remover that works wonders.....

Best deal out there:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X2-Boeshie...:Y8cAAOSwA3dYdXnP:sc:USPSPriority!75104!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Boeshield-...559678&hash=item3f84a92bca:g:UpoAAOSwA3xZlSNl

Justin

The Great Cranium has provided several examples of original cars showing these positioned the way pictured below. So far I have received more examples in the way Marks cars were versus the reverse. So I believe that I had them backwards and the few examples I had were the same...

Mark thanks for the keen eye and it is nice to have these things pointed out and researched. So we/I can get the smaller details correct based on what was done originally....

IMG_1300.JPG
IMG_1301.JPG

Got the rest of the stuff to finish the seats today and the new rear upper seat cover!
images.jpg

Thanks for the Boeshield links. Which do you find goes further he aerosol or the spray?
Roger

The aerosol is the T9 which is the protectant....

The Rust Free is the rust remover only in spray......

Wear a mask when spring both, just a suggestion...

If the aerosol can sits for a long time it loses its spray ability but I return them when that happens...

Justin

Sorry, Justin. I'm having one of those mornings. Thanks for keeping me straight.

How does Boeshield T9 compare to Gibbs all purpose lube?

Mike

The trans is natural cast finish treated with a product called Boeshield T9. The trans was sent to Brewers and was cleaned and rebuilt. I told them to coat the exterior with WD40 when they ship it back. I cleaned the exterior, changed out the bolts with the original ones I had phosphated, placed the speedo gear unit in and placed the markings/letters. After that I sprayed a heavy coat of Boeshield T9 and 24hrs later coated it a second time.

Keep in mind everything is protected until you touch it with your bare hands. So handle with gloves as much as you can. If you do handle the item without gloves just respray the T9 and your fine. The trans does not get hot enough to burn the T9 off. Periodically, I respray the T9 on all bare parts and phosphate parts/bolts.

I have tried just about everything out there and T9 has held up the best and does not alter the finish/appearance. My second option is a spray preventer from Napa. If you do get some surface rust they have a surface rust remover that works wonders.....

Best deal out there:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X2-Boeshie...:Y8cAAOSwA3dYdXnP:sc:USPSPriority!75104!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Boeshield-...559678&hash=item3f84a92bca:g:UpoAAOSwA3xZlSNl

Justin
I use and recommend Boeshield (we sell at National Parts Depot). It's the best I've used so far, and customers agree. by the way, I work at NPD.

I use and recommend Boeshield (we sell at National Parts Depot). It's the best I've used so far, and customers agree. by the way, I work at NPD.
Wonder who told you about that:realcrazy:

Must have been a smart guy, lol...

My dad used to say that too, thanks for the reminder. made my day a good start.

yep sure did, was a Korean war veteran grew up in Monroe, Michigan. son of a factory rat, and became one himself, at Tecumseh products same place where my grandfather worked. another one was "bent over backwards for you damn kinds and all you do is **** on me!" Jokingly said I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back