• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found a 230 400 block at last!

polyjohn

Local time
3:19 PM
Reaction score
The best of the best Mopar block!
A 230 casting 1971 400 casting, guess which one it is... :thumbsup:

Found a 400 block at last.JPG

:rofl:

Jeez.... I hope you are joking. I'll stick with one of the many non-230 400 and 440 blocks that I've kept safe under roof for all these years!!

Jeez.... I hope you are joking. I'll stick with one of the many non-230 400 and 440 blocks that I've kept safe under roof for all these years!!
The rust pits on the cylinders are probably craters, might cleanup once the boring bar hits the water jacket.

I wouldn't trust that block to not be junk any farther than I could throw it. Also, not all 230 blocks have the fabled heavy mains...only the very early ones...

we’ll the pic isn’t to promising but can’t tell till ya peel it !

Ye of little faith!
I looked everywhere for a 230 block and found this just by accident.
We was looking on this pile, cos the yard owner said he had an early 400 block.
He said ''it had been there for twenty years and it never rains here so it will be fine''!
Guess what it had plugs in and still turned over by hand.
When the 230 block was in my Dart it made 1000hp..
8.30 at 175mph says it all methinks...:drinks:

Cooky's Dart 2000 low tens.jpg

Regardless of any block numbers. Always, decrease, hot tank clean, mag check and sonic check it before any big power build.

...and sleeve cylinders as needed. :)

Just ganked a very early 230 block this morning...build date of 7-9-71... The car had a build date of 8-30-71

Ganked is slang for removed or stole or got cheep... engine was in a 72 New port

i got a whole street motor with one of those 230 blocks thats a 512,not sure what im going to do with it.will trade it for a 500 ci 440

I would definitely say that 7/9/71 is one of the 230 early blocks. We have one that was cast 7/15/71 out of a 72 New Port. It now has a 4.5” crank in it which dropped in with no machining. Took some work to keep the internal pickup. But no other 400 would be able to take a crank with RB counter weights on it, that one will. The machinist said he has seen a lot of 230 blocks, and had never seen a 230 like that early block we have. They have more room for bigger counter balance’s on the crank than all the other 400s, it is an unusual block to find. Good luck on your build with it, great block to build from. I have rarely seen such crisp numbers cast on the side of a block.

6A80F009-CBE1-4AAE-A5B8-F2C4E17F2209.jpeg

C2991776-B693-48DC-AB28-0B826BC0AF92.jpeg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back