• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found a freeze plug inthe 383's water jacket.

eric383

Local time
2:22 PM
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has found anything in the water jacket of a motor. I had my 383 shortblock that I picked up last fall and had it on the engine stand upside down and was inspecting it. I looked at the cooling passage between cylinders#5 and #7 and saw something. It was an old freeze plug. After some poking and prodding and after removing a freeze plug I was able to pull it through the freeze plug hole. Kinda weird.

I'm sure it happens all the time, when someone tries to install new plugs with a little too much enthusiasm.

I've seen it on a /6 I rebuilt years ago, where a previous "repairer" (read "lazy and rough bastard") just banged in a new set of plugs behind the old set...

Have found brass parts in nylon timing gear of AMC 390 crate engine. There is no brass in the AMC engine. It looked like broken trans part. Have talked to someone who had 17 pushrods in there Pontiac engine, spare was in pan.

I didn't think I was the only one. This just confirms it. Thanks.

I've seen people just push in the old leaking one because it's easier than trying to pull it out. Lazy morons....

E, this usually happens to Sonny. I am happy it was you and you found the "Plug"....
if a Plug goes on my car it would be one I cannot get at without tearing stuff apart to get to it.
lucky yours was out!....
BTW building the 383 so you can embarrass me when we line them up after a show? & snuff my a$$!:eusa_pray:

can't wait 'till you unveil the "new" '63 383 beast!:happy1:

I accidentally knocked a freeze plug into a head while I was trying to remove it. It took me forever to get the darn thing back out. I could see it happening.

Sonny I'm trying to build something to beat that sweet Belvedere but it's gonna be tuff!

Auto Transport Service
Back