• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thought it was a good idea

BigFlo

Local time
6:12 PM
Reaction score
I had to change the front driver brake caliper on my wife’s car yesterday because one of the pistons froze. I wanted to remove the old caliper, bring it to the store so I could take care of the core charge in one trip and not have to go back later. It has a banjo fitting for the brake fluid and I said to myself, “Self, how can I stop the fluid from draining out, while I make the trip to the store”. After thinking for a few, I thought of the foam earplugs that you crunch down between your fingers and they expand. So I did - I squeezed the earplug, stuck it in the banjo hole and viola! It expanded and at least slowed the drip. I put a container under it to catch anything that dropped out. I made the trip to the store and when I returned, I realized that brake fluid kinda dissolves that foam. The plug was still there and mostly doing it’s job, but it fell apart when I tried to remove it. And it turned the brake fluid orange that drained out. So I guess it was mostly successful, but not what I expected.

:lol:

IMG_3452.jpeg

Let's be honest, a brake fluid flush is a perfectly good idea. No further behind :thumbsup:

FYI, if you prop the brake pedal down a bit, no fluid will run out.

If you’re going to be awhile disconnect the battery so the brake light doesn’t drain it.

They make a tool, cheap, to clamp the rubber brake line, or in a pinch straight vise grip plier with something in jaws to keep from puncturing the brake line.

Don't pinch the brake hose. Ever.

Take the hose off of the brake line, put a small vacuum cap over the end of the steel line.

Moral of the story: PUT THE PARTS IN AND FINISH THE JOB. Worry about the core charge later.

Moral of the story: PUT THE PARTS IN AND FINISH THE JOB. Worry about the core charge later.
either way, it worked out. It was just funny that I thought it was clever, but who knew brake fluid ate foam earplugs.

Don't pinch the brake hose. Ever.

Take the hose off of the brake line, put a small vacuum cap over the end of the steel line.
I agree about not pinching the brake hose. I think those tools are made for low pressure lines

Auto Transport Service
Back