• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fred Rides to the Rescue of One of Our Late-Models Again - But this time, I didn't figure out what's wrong

moparedtn

I got your Staff Member riiiight heeeere...
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:47 PM
Reaction score
Allow me to vent a little...
Today upon return from shopping, as I backed our 2011 Charger R/T (5.7 hemi) into place to unload the groceries,
I noticed the smell of antifreeze. Glanced down at the temp gauge and ut-oh...
Thinking something had gone wrong with my radiator replacement of some months back, I open the hood real quick
and realize the fan isn't running - and we're way past the temperature it SHOULD be running.
Hmmm, something's up here....
I allow it to cool down, then go about the usual checkdowns of trying to figure out what's up.

For me and these modern jobbers, it's a process of elimination:
- radiator cap was weeping by a bit more than I like (it's original) - no worries, I'll replace it (but not the cause)
- both the temperature gauge and the electronic readout in the display both agree and act normally - means to me the
temperature sensor must be ok, right?
- with engine running (and regardless of engine temperature), I switched on the A/C. Fan immediately came on, just
like it should. Fan must be ok then, right?
- All wiring, connections, etc. checked. No critter damage found, all connections unplugged and re-plugged.
- The thing has no less than (3) relays and (3) fuses involved with the automatic fan operation.
Rather than test any of them, I replaced every damn one of them with new. Process of elimination.

The car still heats up way past time to fire up the fan and refuses to do so....
Still does so automatically when the A/C (or defrost) is engaged, just like normal though.
It's got me whipped - I may have to break down and take it in for diagnosing, which pains me no end.

Oh - and how was Fred involved in all this?
He once again sprang to action without so much as a whimper and played parts mule all evening, fetching all these
wonderful little parts for the Charger, just like he has for the Ram and for the tractor over the last some years.
I like to think that's because I put him together, but it's luck as much as anything. :thumbsup:

So - any late-model tech wizzes out there got any suggestions on the Charger?

First I hope you get it figured out ED and I want to thank Fred once again for being so faithful. Got to love these new cars. :BangHead:

Put 12volts directly to the fan bypassing all relays.

Probably a different circuit energizes for the AC vs just normal operation.
These cars have like 18 grounds. Some are on the firewall. No you can't see them.
Every thing in these cars has it's own tiny cpu board. There is one in the steering wheel, one in the shifter, one for the gauges, one for the battery, one for the blue tooth, etc etc etc.
You are likely going to need a scan tool to check if anything is not working right. When it doesn;t show up, you will have to really research the circuit for the fan that is NOT tied to the AC, and see where it grounds, and if it has it's own board.

If current admin hadn't pushed into place all the spy cams, alcohol sensors, ev bs, and the like, I would be selling my '13 with 80k on it. I am not looking forward to the first glitch. It's not like the old days. Heck it isn't even like OBD2 days.

Probably a different circuit energizes for the AC vs just normal operation.
These cars have like 18 grounds. Some are on the firewall. No you can't see them.
Every thing in these cars has it's own tiny cpu board. There is one in the steering wheel, one in the shifter, one for the gauges, one for the battery, one for the blue tooth, etc etc etc.
You are likely going to need a scan tool to check if anything is not working right. When it doesn;t show up, you will have to really research the circuit for the fan that is NOT tied to the AC, and see where it grounds, and if it has it's own board.

If current admin hadn't pushed into place all the spy cams, alcohol sensors, ev bs, and the like, I would be selling my '13 with 80k on it. I am not looking forward to the first glitch. It's not like the old days. Heck it isn't even like OBD2 days.
Yeah, looks like short of a smack of genius, I'll be at the mercy of the local dealer on this one....
Guess I been lucky in that regard for the last few decades.

I think there’s 2 wires on the fan harness that turn on the fan when engine temp kicks it on and when ac is commanded. That’s why I said put 12 bolts to it. But then again, I could be wrong.

I readily admit I know nothing of your model of car nor of anything that new, but I have a similar issue every other year - like clockwork - on my Jeep. You have replaced the relays, but what does the temp sender look like on your car? On the Jeep, theres a sender that threads into the water neck that has two wires on it; I assume - and we all know what happens when one assumes - one goes to the relay and one goes to the temp gauge. Somehow the gauge will read but the electric fan doesnt come on...

I think there’s 2 wires on the fan harness that turn on the fan when engine temp kicks it on and when ac is commanded. That’s why I said put 12 bolts to it. But then again, I could be wrong.
There's 4 actually (fan has a big ol' resistor of some sort on it) - but yeah, I could put 12V to it and make it run manually....
but that would be to test the fan itself, I'd imagine - and I already know it works fine.

I readily admit I know nothing of your model of car nor of anything that new, but I have a similar issue every other year - like clockwork - on my Jeep. You have replaced the relays, but what does the temp sender look like on your car? On the Jeep, theres a sender that threads into the water neck that has two wires on it; I assume - and we all know what happens when one assumes - one goes to the relay and one goes to the temp gauge. Somehow the gauge will read but the electric fan doesnt come on...
Yep, I'd bet it's the same temp sensor actually (they've used the same one for a long time on most all their vehicles)....
but you've got a good suggestion there, in that I assumed the sensor to be ok just because the gauge/readout works
normally.
You know what happens when one assumes... :)
Thanks!

Time to trade dat thing in for one of them thar new fangled battery powered 2025 Chargers. :poke:

:lol:

Time to trade dat thing in for one of them thar new fangled battery powered 2025 Chargers. :poke:

:lol:
Funny how these things go. Earlier today, I half-jokingly told my wife we needed to scope out the leftover
new Scat Pack Chargers on the lot, since the news is full of stories about how Dodge has got tons of leftover
vehicles they need to unload and have started discounting heavily.
The car must have heard me... :lol:

Snapped back to my senses now. Truth of it is that the thing has been rock-solid reliable for a dozen years
now, just like the one before it that we got six years of trouble-free out of before trading it in.
Also truth of it is....Fred reminded me that the smart money might be to invest in some pre-IBM vehicles
and ride out whatever abbreviated time I got left instead.

all this wonderful technology is great till it starts to go bad . trying to figure out which sensor, wire , or connector, or possibly the ecm , who knows ! i usually tap a good friend who does this everyday . he knows a lot the the things that go bad on these newer cars . if he is stumped it’s to a dealer nearby….

Ed, this may or may not help but similar occurrence on my daughters 2011 Charger.
1) remote start would start car but shut car off in 5 seconds
2) I showed code of low coolant when it wasn’t really low
3) fans not coming on when too hot
4) all fuses checked out fine.
5) changed thermostat and it’s plastic housing.
Mechanic friend told me he encountered same thing and that coolant not flowing/not detected can cause fans to not come on.
After I put back together all works fine.
Just a guess

Ed, this may or may not help but similar occurrence on my daughters 2011 Charger.
1) remote start would start car but shut car off in 5 seconds
2) I showed code of low coolant when it wasn’t really low
3) fans not coming on when too hot
4) all fuses checked out fine.
5) changed thermostat and it’s plastic housing.
Mechanic friend told me he encountered same thing and that coolant not flowing/not detected can cause fans to not come on.
After I put back together all works fine.
Just a guess
Plastic housing must mean it was a V6 car, yes?
This hemi one has a regular ol' cast metal housing - and the thermostat was replaced when I did the
radiator a few months back, but thanks.

fan1.png
fan2.png
Oh dear....upon further review, it does appear there's some manner of sensor in the fan shroud itself.
APOLOGIES to anyone who suggested this might be the issue....
See that little green jobber there? That's it, on the back side of where the wiring harness plugs into
the fan shroud.

Further....it appears it's not available separately from Mopar or anyone else - gotta buy the whole damn
fan/shroud assembly to get it.
Ma is looking like an asshole here on this one...:mad:

When I bought my 65, I noticed a switch under the dash. I asked him what's that for. He told me the computer, that part that operates the fan when you turn on the A/C, took a dump. It still comes on when the temperature calls for it, just not when you turn A/C on. I turn it on manually. I've never checked into it myself, but I believe he did. Something to think about anyway. It's all 2005, 5.7 Chrysler 300 engine and wiring. Good luck!!

I have a feeling the one I posted ,is the same unit you require. Should be a generic piece across the product line.

Auto Transport Service
Back