• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fred Rides to the Rescue of One of Our Late-Models Again - But this time, I didn't figure out what's wrong

Sorry, missed the part about it being an assembly... been busy this morning LOL. You might be able too mount the above unit, modify , if you will, the above control to your existing fan assembly....

View attachment 1638449
View attachment 1638450
Oh dear....upon further review, it does appear there's some manner of sensor in the fan shroud itself.
APOLOGIES to anyone who suggested this might be the issue....
See that little green jobber there? That's it, on the back side of where the wiring harness plugs into
the fan shroud.

Further....it appears it's not available separately from Mopar or anyone else - gotta buy the whole damn
fan/shroud assembly to get it.
Ma is looking like an asshole here on this one...:mad:
Ed, I would grab one from a yard .

I have a feeling the one I posted ,is the same unit you require. Should be a generic piece across the product line.
Upon further review, you're correct sir! :thumbsup:
Well, sort of.... the Brampton cars all take the same one (Charger, Challenger, 300):
61cYI3YPKDL._SL1500_.jpg
712a8ny2txL._SL1500_.jpg
Now here's the weird part - none of the local "big box" parts stores sell anything like this.
They just want to sell you an entire new fan assembly (shroud, fan, motor, wiring, etc.)

You go online though, different story - there's literally DOZENS of aftermarket (read: Chinese)
versions of this critter, starting at $15!
Amazon is littered with them, for example....
Well, in the end I went the safe (and $$$) route and ordered a factory one. Ought to be here by
end of week. Looks to take like 5 minutes to swap out.
We'll see what's what after that, but I got a good feeling about it.
Thanks everyone! :thumbsup:

Ed, I would grab one from a yard .
Brother, if there was a yard within 2 hours of here that was allowed to sell to the public, I would...
most of 'em around here have gotten in trouble with the tax man over the years, though. :)

Ed, y'all come back now ya hear? We want to know how you make out with this in the end.

Not sure what that would do, since I've already established the fan is functioning fine when actually energized?
THe fan works as per your testing but what ever controls it for engine cooling doesn't. Did the engine cool down for you when you turned on the a/c? I am asking questions before reading all the posts. I hope you figured it out before page 2.

THe fan works as per your testing but what ever controls it for engine cooling doesn't. Did the engine cool down for you when you turned on the a/c? I am asking questions before reading all the posts. I hope you figured it out before page 2.
Haha, yeah I saw the light eventually - and yes, the fan does recover the engine to normal temps once energized.
Part is on the way, authentic overpriced Mopar and all...

I had no idea they used a doo-hicky inside the fan shroud - which I should have noticed months ago when I replaced
the radiator (chalk it up to the great animosity I had going on fighting that turd of a job, I guess....).
I just assumed they used the temp sensor screwed into the water pump housing.
Assumed...you know the deal when we do that, eh? :lol:

Oh Heck, almost forgot - there is a P.S. to all this:
When diagnosing the car and everything got real quiet, I started hearing a faint hiss underhood (my hearing ain't
great, mind) and when traced down, it turns out the radiator cap was relieving just a bit even with the car far from
warmed up - but it wasn't relieving inside but outside!
During a recent trip to the oil changing joint, the attendant must not have gotten it all the way tightened...
so I finished tightening it, only to realize it was still barely hissing by.
Took it off, cleaned everything and...it still hissed, so I replaced it (and refilled the overflow, which was considerably
low).
Yes, the cap was the original...don't jack me up over that, please. :)

Last edited:
Haha, yeah I saw the light eventually - and yes, the fan does recover the engine to normal temps once energized.

I had no idea they used a doo-hicky inside the fan shroud - which I should have noticed months ago when I replaced
the radiator (chalk it up to the great animosity I had going on fighting that turd of a job, I guess....).

When diagnosing the car and everything got real quiet, I started hearing a faint hiss underhood (my hearing ain't
great, mind) and when traced down, it turns out the radiator cap was relieving just a bit even with the car far from
During a recent trip to the oil changing joint, the attendant must not have gotten it all the way tightened...
Took it off, cleaned everything and...it still hissed, so I replaced it (and refilled the overflow, which was considerably
low).
Fan controller? Good you got it diagnosed.

low).
I embarrassingly overheated my Swinger pulling into a car show because of a cap that didn't hold pressure. Puked green all the way down the street. :BangHead: :BangHead: :rofl: It was a cheap fix though.

Fan controller? Good you got it diagnosed.
They got a funny name for it - Mopar calls it the "fan motor wiring harness" - but all the aftermarket makers refer to it
as "radiator fan blower motor relay resistor" - which is exactly what it is, some manner of goofy looking resistor that
looks like somebody came up with it in the 30's. :lol:
Good news is it looks like a 5 minute job to swap out.

I embarrassingly overheated my Swinger pulling into a car show because of a cap that didn't hold pressure. Puked green all the way down the street. :BangHead: :BangHead: :rofl: It was a cheap fix though.
Been there done that - and with the quality of today's replacement parts, I bet we aren't alone there.
BTW, the replacement cost of the high-tech one on the Charger was $7.
Yeah, I'll be replacing that with a factory one first chance I get. :)

Been there done that - and with the quality of today's replacement parts, I bet we aren't alone there.
BTW, the replacement cost of the high-tech one on the Charger was $7.
Yeah, I'll be replacing that with a factory one first chance I get. :)
I did get one like the original from Mega Parts and it worked perfect. Bob at Glen Ray was out of them at the time and he knew Roy and Jamie sold some quality ones.

I did get one like the original from Mega Parts and it worked perfect. Bob at Glen Ray was out of them at the time and he knew Roy and Jamie sold some quality ones.
So it was this "quality one" that gave up the puke?

So it was this "quality one" that gave up the puke?
An old cap puked. THe new one took care of the problem. It's a superheat thing and the sudden loss of pressure. It was in July, hot and very humid and I was in a parade with the A/C on.

UPDATE:
The new factory Mopar part arrived and I dutifully installed it, tearing up the back of my hand a bit
in doing so (there is next to NO room between fan and engine on these hemi's).
Results? No change - the fan comes on with activation of the A/C circuit, but otherwise is unresponsive.

This leaves little but something going on with the PCM and/or wiring at some point, which means
the dealer gets it now.
*sigh*

Do you have a good obdII scanner that lets you look at data? See if you can see the engine temp reference change as the car warms up...

Some/many cars have water pumps with plastic impeller blades. The blades break, flow is reduced, and the temperature climbs of course.

Trusted shop with modern tools, scanners, etc. Gotta know when to fold em with the modern cars.
Dealers in my area incompetent.

UPDATE:
The new factory Mopar part arrived and I dutifully installed it, tearing up the back of my hand a bit
in doing so (there is next to NO room between fan and engine on these hemi's).
Results? No change - the fan comes on with activation of the A/C circuit, but otherwise is unresponsive.

This leaves little but something going on with the PCM and/or wiring at some point, which means
the dealer gets it now.
*sigh*
Post 19

Auto Transport Service
Back