• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Free wheeling steering wheel

Bro4297

Local time
12:44 AM
Reaction score
On my 1977 Cordoba, when I turn it over, my steering has a mind of it's own. It will turn three quarter of a turn one way, then have a turn another way. The steering wheel is not perfect align to dash board. What do you guys think it is and how to fix it. Thank you.

did you do anything with the p/s gearbox centering valve? or did this just happen?

Steering coupler. Fix it very soon. If it fails all the way that is where the wrecker will pick you up after stopping.

Are you saying that when you start the engine the steering wheel just rotates like this?

When I start it up, it goes through it's gyrations. I haven't touch anything in the steering.

When I start it up, it goes through it's gyrations. I haven't touch anything in the steering.

My Cordoba tried to make a left turn at 4000 RPM while strapped to a chassis dyno, the centering valve in the steering box had gone bad. I bought a rebuilt one and solved the problem.

BTW - If you don't want to change the steering box twice change the hoses and power steering pump while you're at it. I didn't and wound up circulating debris from the previous failure into the new box and it failed too.

Did this car sit for some time?

Auto Transport Service
Back