• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering wheel ghost.

JoeBarbee

Local time
2:29 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone had this steering wheel issue? Sitting idle, parked, as I rev t h e engine, the steering wheel starts turning. It does not stop until the tires are at a full right hard turn. Is it the steering box? Will cleaner/sealer fix it?

Control valve on the top of the box. Needs to be loosened off ever so slightly and tapped left or right until what you're experiencing stops.

I had this issue, well it worked fine on a new box for a month.
Then all of a sudden the wheel would turn all the way one way.
Posted here, was told to do the tapping thing, iirc it was tap one way to make it steer back the other and vise versa.
It didn't work, so I just tapped it around a few times indiscriminately.
I think it must have burped out some air or something, works fine now, straight down the road.

FYI, do not have your fingers in the wheel spokes/bars when you fire it up to test.

If you have the original high pressure hose I'd replace it first.
I would change the fluid and flush it second.
Remove the return hose let it pump until empty and then refill.
Reconnect the hose and turn the wheel lock to lock a couple times.
Remove the hose let it pump until empty and then refill.

On the top of the steering box there is a valve that is set wrong on your box. There are two bolts that hold the valvebody in place, they must be loosened slightly. Then with the front wheels in the air and the engine idling you tap the valvebody forwards or backwards until the wheels stay pointed straight ahead on their own. Then you tighten the two bolts back up. Easier to do than to explain.

Last edited:
Be careful when adjusting it. I remember some years ago someone’s box was apparently way out of center and he reached in through the window and through the steering wheel spokes and turned the key to start the engine. The wheel immediately whipped around to full lock and caught his arm and fractured the bone. Don’t remember if it was on here or on Moparts.

Auto Transport Service
Back