• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

steering issues

Stucat

Local time
7:22 AM
Reaction score
My steering box was cleaned and repainted and put on the shelve 6 months ago. Now reasembing the car now. started it today. the car is on dollies on the front. so if I am not holding the steering wheel, the front wheels turn to the right. When the meet the stop and can't turn any more the rpm drops about 100/150 rpm. It's been so long I don't remember it the top hose fitting was removed when it was done. Thanks

You need to adjust the control valve assembly, on the top at the return hose connection. 2- 1/4" cap screws retain the valve. Loosen them a little bit and slide the valve front or rearward with a plastic hammer to center the valve. Do it running , off the ground, and remember that the valve is sealed to the gear housing with O-rings. You do not want to blow them out!
Mike

Had the same issue, what 493Mike ^^^ said. Mine went to the right also, tapping the valve body forward in roughly 1/8-inch increments it finally settled down after moving it about a 1/4-inch. Only thing I did different was I made the adjustment without it running, didn't want to contend with hot headers.

Mike and the maniac are correct and I agree with the maniac about doing it engine off. Do the adjustment in one direction, tighten it with it not running, and try it. If it’s worse redo the adjustment in the opposite direction. Keep going till it stops. I Center the steering wheel each time before starting.

Will do guys thanks for the help.

If you do without engine running, when you start the engine keep your hands away from steering wheel! If you move valve in wrong wheel could spin and mess your hands up.

Auto Transport Service
Back