• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Freeing Up An Engine That Has Been Sitting For a While

Runner 68

Tarnished Bronze Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:36 AM
Reaction score
Hello Gents. As some of you know my younger son just acquired a 72 Duster that has been sitting for a while, from a family member. It ran fine in 1989 when it was parked, outside, in dry Colorado. We have full access to it and will haul it back to the shop when we want to start the rolling restoration in hopes of resurrecting the 318 that's in it. 180K on it but my hope is that it can still breath. I know 318s are a pretty solid engine.

We will of course go through every component with fluids, fuel, coolant, crankcase, brakes, diff and tranny.

I don't think the engine is frozen but our plans are to head out this weekend and fill the cylinders and crankcase with either Marvel or diesel and let it soak for a few weeks then turn it over by hand a few times and see how it rolls. Then we'll get it home and drop the pan and start the clean up.

Any thoughts on if my thinking is off would be appreciated. Will either diesel or Marvel wash out the crank bearings or anything else if soaked for a little while?

Sitting since 1989? Ehh I think the only option is a complete tear down and rebuild. But you can start by pulling the heads and see what the cylinders look like and go from there, pull the on and check out bottom end also.

Sitting since 1989? Ehh I think the only option is a complete tear down and rebuild. But you can start by pulling the heads and see what the cylinders look like and go from there, pull the on and check out bottom end also.
Yea, I'm sure at the end of the day that's probably what's going to happen but thought I would try a little CPR on it first. Thanks.

If the vehicle had lower miles, I'd say try to get the rings to seat again and go for it.
But 1967coronet440 is right. The engine was probably put away used up and you may spin a bearing or throw a rod. Ruining the crank and or block.

diesel cause it is cheap. Drop some dough on some transmission fluid (lots of detergents) to add to the mix. What we do to outboards that get dunked in salt water. cow trough full of diesel with the plugs out. Blow em out good and change fluids. Works 8 out of ten times on the old carb two strokes. cant hurt if the epa isnt in on it.

Last edited:
Hello Gents. As some of you know my younger son just acquired a 72 Duster that has been sitting for a while, from a family member. It ran fine in 1989 when it was parked, outside, in dry Colorado. We have full access to it and will haul it back to the shop when we want to start the rolling restoration in hopes of resurrecting the 318 that's in it. 180K on it but my hope is that it can still breath. I know 318s are a pretty solid engine.

We will of course go through every component with fluids, fuel, coolant, crankcase, brakes, diff and tranny.

I don't think the engine is frozen but our plans are to head out this weekend and fill the cylinders and crankcase with either Marvel or diesel and let it soak for a few weeks then turn it over by hand a few times and see how it rolls. Then we'll get it home and drop the pan and start the clean up.

Any thoughts on if my thinking is off would be appreciated. Will either diesel or Marvel wash out the crank bearings or anything else if soaked for a little while?
If you pore kerosene or some other release agent in the bores, make sure that bank of pistons is sitting horizontal and fill the bores that are recessed. Tap the tops of the pistons lightly with a composite hammer every now and then. Another way is to put a round piece of 1/4 inch plate steel on the top of the piston and then use an air operated chisel with a blunt tip to vibrate the pistons.

use it all the time on old engines that have been stuck used it in the military too .marvel mystery oil is another product

use it all the time on old engines that have been stuck used it in the military too .marvel mystery oil is another product
Marvel is some interesting $hit, that's why I mentioned it in the OP. I have used it for several years for odd applications with good results.
We'll give it a shot but I'm also shopping short block prices.
Thanks fellas.

acetone+trans fluid+brake fluid, let it soak, be sure to mix it just before you pour it, as it will separate.

Interesting day. We dumped the old oil which looked good for 24 year old oil. No water or other crap with it. 2 cans of PB blaster on the tops of the pistons. 1 quart of Marvel down each bank on top of the pistons through the plug holes. 1 quart of Marvel down the carb. Then 7 quarts through various spots in the valve covers. 2.5 gallons in all. We'll let it set for a couple of weeks then turn it over by hand.

My bet is that it rolls right over. Wish us luck.

Make sure the plugs are out when you turn it over with the starter motor. If any of the oil drops past a valve you'll hydro lock the cylinder.

Not to sound unsympathetic to my SB pals, but who gives a crap if the engine blows up? It's a 318! If it blows up, go get another one. Those things are everywhere.

I would try turning the engine using the crankshaft. If it turns, change the oil, add a bottle of Marvel, and after making sure the plugs, wires, distro, etc, are good, fire it up. It's either going to run fine, or fail, and if it fails you go looking for a good running engine to throw in there.

Me and a friend got his old 86 Camaro 305 running again after 5 years sitting. We dumped a few ounces of just plain ATF into each cylinder and let it sit for a few days. Came back and with a breaker bar spun it a few revoloutions. Then we pulled the spark plugs and hit the starter. Cleaned up the mess(lol) and re installed the plugs. Hooked it all up and it fired over. Smoked a bit at first but eventually quit. It ran ok. This was after changing the oil and checking the other fluids....

I started up a 440 that had sat for ten years. I just changed the oil and added a pint of Marvel into each valve cover and fired it up.

Not to sound unsympathetic to my SB pals, but who gives a crap if the engine blows up? It's a 318! If it blows up, go get another one. Those things are everywhere.

I would try turning the engine using the crankshaft. If it turns, change the oil, add a bottle of Marvel, and after making sure the plugs, wires, distro, etc, are good, fire it up. It's either going to run fine, or fail, and if it fails you go looking for a good running engine to throw in there.
Exactly Bruz however there is a big difference between 10 years and 28 years. We'll roll it over by hand and see how it feels. That has always been the plan. If it passes that test we'll pull the distributor and prime it with a drill for a short while then dump all that $****. Flush the coolant and fuel, rebuild the carb, dump some clean oil, battery and plugs in it and hit the starter.
I have no worries that we will get it to run, the question is, how well will it run. If it's limping we will have the fun of of building a 340 for it. No worries here.

I had to stop my cousin from just throwing a battery in it after sitting since 89 and hitting the starter. Ranchers. It probably would have fired but it doesn't hurt to baby these old motors a little.

Last edited:
Exactly Bruz however there is a big difference between 10 years and 28 years. We'll roll it over by hand and see how it feels. That has always been the plan. If it passes that test we'll pull the distributor and prime it with a drill for a short while then dump all that $****. Flush the coolant and fuel, rebuild the carb, dump some clean oil, battery and plugs in it and hit the starter.
I have no worries that we will get it to run, the question is, how well will it run. If it's limping we will have the fun of of building a 340 for it. No worries here.

I had to stop my cousin from just throwing a battery in it after sitting since 89 and hitting the starter. Ranchers. It probably would have fired but it doesn't hurt to baby these old motors a little.
I would suggest saving yourself a lot of heartache and just replace the fuel tank, sender unit, and fuel pump now. Just draining the gas and putting in fresh isn't going to help.

The sender unit in my Roadrunner was so rusted through from sitting in a near empty tank for three years it looked like swiss cheese. How it was still moving gas I'll never know.

Auto Transport Service
Back