• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Freeze plug leak.

fullmetaljacket

Local time
4:51 AM
Reaction score
The head on my 318 is leaking anti-freeze from where looks to be one of the rear head freeze plugs.
I haven't come across this kind of problem in like 40 years, so what new age, new remedy product/s are out there now to stop the leak which at this point is a trickle.
I don't have the time to repair-remove the engine and or heads since I plan on installing a 360 in the not to distant future.
What say ye?
Thank you.

The head on my 318 is leaking anti-freeze from where looks to be one of the rear head freeze plugs.
I haven't come across this kind of problem in like 40 years, so what new age, new remedy product/s are out there now to stop the leak which at this point is a trickle.
I don't have the time to repair-remove the engine and or heads since I plan on installing a 360 in the not to distant future.
What say ye?
Thank you.
What I really meant was a liquid type of paw it in and go. It's one of the rear plugs and hard to get to without removing the engine.

IMO the only acceptable "quick fix" is "SolderSeal", a fine metallic powder.

I've seen Barr's stop leak clog too many water pumps.

Keep in mind it's a temporary fix if it even works at all, and will likely only last a few weeks.

I agree the rubber plug is the best course of action.

They can last years.

The problem then becomes- how to remove the existing plug.

I agree the rubber plug is the best course of action.

They can last years.

The problem then becomes- how to remove the existing plug.
Okay then. Fellas, invest in Anti-freeze stocks because I'm about to purchase a lot of the stuff to buy me time. LOL.

If you really want a temporary fix without removing the plug, drain the coolant. Just need it to be lower than the plug. Blow dry the plug real good, smear some silicone sealant on it then let dry for at least 24 hours.

All these 'fixes' just buy time until you have to bite the bullet....& replace the plug. It has rusted & is leaking. Rust gets worse, not better....

If it were me.....

I'd take one stab (he he) at getting the plug out and then using the expanding rubber plug.

If I spent more then 30 min and wasn't getting anywhere...

I'd then clean it up real good and try the JB marine weld.

Maybe put an expendable bathroom mirror up against the firewall so you can at least see part of what you're doing.

If it were me.....

I'd take one stab (he he) at getting the plug out and then using the expanding rubber plug.

If I spent more then 30 min and wasn't getting anywhere...

I'd then clean it up real good and try the JB marine weld.

Maybe put an expendable bathroom mirror up against the firewall so you can at least see part of what you're doing.
Great ideas guys. Thank you.

Auto Transport Service
Back