• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Freight shipping

Timmayy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:05 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone here used freight shipping to get large heavy parts? I just bought a tailgate for my Fury wagon. It's in PA and I need to get it to RI. The guy says he can strap it to a pallet but it would need to be picked up with a truck that has a tailgate. Pallet is 72x40 and about 200lbs total weight. I got one quote for $385. I'm wondering what any of you have used.

I have used uShip.com you basically can set up a profile and show what you need shipped from where to where and people,companies all can give you bids and you choose who you want to ship they have reviews so helps choose who
was A lot cheaper than all the commercial shipping places I checked
Could be from a person who has a truck and is going the same way you need to a truck that has an open slot or those who ship full time

Last edited:
I have used this Company with Good results (they come right to your house) and also Fastenal many times...

Phone #1 442.jpg Phone #1 443.jpg

Haven't used them in years but Greyhound use to be pretty cheap & easy to deal with...

Too heavy for Greyhound. Fastenal has refused me twice since Covid. They blame Covid, but I always got the impression there was friction between Fastenal and the company that coordinates the shipments. Fastenal employees don't get paid for the extra work they have to do. They have always been churlish.
$385 on the East Coast is not that bad. uShip might be cheaper, but beware of brokers. I have used CL, looking for someone in the share a ride section.

I just used Fastenal to ship wheels to another FBBO member, it was pretty easy as long as you can find or make a pallet. Shrink wrap from Home Depot and ratchet straps from harbor freight. I'm going to use that method for everything heavy like engines or cylinder heads

YRC freight...great prices and servive, easy to get an online quote and finalize/pay for it right then also with CC.

just shipped a shortblock from california to ohio, 158.00 ! i have shipped bare blocks from calif to new york in the past for 140.00...

The guy says he can strap it to a pallet but it would need to be picked up with a truck that has a tailgate.

That's ridiculous - as is the price. I very often ship rotisseries from one end of the country to the other. The skid is 32"W x 60"L x 18"H and weights 450 pounds. Shipping is never more than $300.

But these things add to the cost:
1) pickup add about $50
2) residential pickup add about another $50
3) power tailgate add about $50
4) business delivery add about $50
5) residential delivery add about $50
6) (with power tailgate) add about $50

When I ship I load the skid in my pickup bed and drive it to the terminal. They unload with a forklift. If its a residential delivery I do not pay for "power tailgate" - its up to the customer to hand bomb the pieces off (or pay the extra fee).
"Hold for pickup" at your local terminal will save you money.

Keep in mind that transport companies will not stack skids on LTL shipments so whatever the size of the skid, you're paying for that square footage regardless of the weight.

Auto Transport Service
Back