• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

From Ren n nator to stock orange box

SMack

Local time
6:22 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys me again. Stil having issues with break Uber heavy load so trying to eliminate some stuff and was going to replace the rev n nator box with a stock orange box. On the rev box there’s an Aux Tach wire off the back. Where or what do I do with that as there’s nothing on the stock box. Not sure where to run it. Or if I need to.
Thanks.

What kind of tach are you running.

So the car is breaking up under hard load around 4500. I spoke with Troy about the rev n nator as a possible cause and to eliminate it I was going to plug in a stock new orange box and see what happens. And I’m a novice especially when it comes to wiring so I want to be sure I hook my tach up right. Normally tach signal wire I thought went to negative post on the coil. But with rev box it has its own tach wire. Or auxiliary wire as it’s labeled.

So the car is breaking up under hard load around 4500. I spoke with Troy about the rev n nator as a possible cause and to eliminate it I was going to plug in a stock new orange box and see what happens. And I’m a novice especially when it comes to wiring so I want to be sure I hook my tach up right. Normally tach signal wire I thought went to negative post on the coil. But with rev box it has its own tach wire. Or auxiliary wire as it’s

Same problem I had it was definately the rev n nator in my application. I tried for 3 years to talk to someone and no one called back. I talked to Laura and she said that she would have Troy call me back. Never did get a call back. Nor did it ever work. I replaced it with a mopar orange and never looked back. Bought it brand new with coil and distributor. The only thing I can use is the coil. Waste of money is my opinion. Did it ever work right for you since you bought the rev n nator?

I never have had any problem with my Rev-N-Nator. Just some pinging, but that is with any ECU I installed.

When did you get the Rev-N-nator? I got the first batch they made ( number 00020 ) and the wiring coming out from back was for ground, not for tach. Althought I have known they made a new version later, but dunno the differences.

on my car I have an Autometer small tach and works fine being connected as factory made, to the - lead of coil using the Rev-N-nator.

Are they making them back again to get this issue suddenly now with a new batch?

Well I’m not happy with it either as the car only has 3000 miles on it since a high end Resto of every nut in bolt. But I will say that Troy has been great with trying to help me out. I called his number from the website and within a day or two he called me back. And I texted him just now as I started this thread and he he responded so. I have no issue with support but in hindsight I wish I think his box is overkill for a driver unless you’re always at the track.

Nacho I got my box around 2016 and I’m not sure it’s the issue just pokin and hopein at this point. I don’t think they’re making them new at this point yet.

I haven’t run my car since 10 years now. Unfortunately began a new resto job back in 2013 and have had difficulties with ppl working on it… now even more with my car 6K miles from my new location. But the time it run worked like a champ being a driver, with a chromed MSD blaster II coil and MSD single ballast… and making long trips all along Venezuela. I was on the waiting list before was released. I guess it was by 2012 or so? So I used as mentioned for a long year daily. My Charger was my daily driver.

stroked 400 and AC.

Well I’m not happy with it either as the car only has 3000 miles on it since a high end Resto of every nut in bolt. But I will say that Troy has been great with trying to help me out. I called his number from the website and within a day or two he called me back. And I texted him just now as I started this thread and he he responded so. I have no issue with support but in hindsight I wish I think his box is overkill for a driver unless you’re always at the track.
I recieved mine in 2017 and nothing but headache from the start. The tach had a erratic bounce or miss and missed up around 4500ish. Put the mopar orange on and it all went away. I felt 3 years was enough time wasted on the ecu and just gave up. I attempted multiple times and was told I would get a call back and never did.
Actually its been longer than 3 years. I attempted another call last year and Laura told me that Troy would call back. Still waiting for that call.

Mine was #2107

20230809_163309.jpg

Same as mine. In its defense. I just swapped it out for a stock orange box and although it seems better. I’m not convinced it’s cured. Still a little break up about 4500. Was hoping this was the fix…

The old Confucius saying: "Fancy gizmos don't work and if they do work, they quit working at the most inopportune time and leave you stranded beside the road" may be applicable. WHY....did you switch to this system? Were you in search of: Blazing acceleration....more HP.....smoother Idling.....because your other car buddies have one and you didn't want to be chastised.
Go back to the origional Mopar equipment.....my RS23V0A****** has an origional Prestolite dual point distributor (recurved to be all in at 2400 RPM) and can run up tp 6500 RPM with out missing a beat......just replace the points and condenser every 2 yesrs or so. Place a FOR SALE AD for your old stuff and go back to origional.....you won't be sorry........
BOB RENTON

Hi Bob, this system was recommended by the builder of the engine. There’s an older saying “ if you want something done right do it yourself “.

The old Confucius saying: "Fancy gizmos don't work and if they do work, they quit working at the most inopportune time and leave you stranded beside the road" may be applicable. WHY....did you switch to this system? Were you in search of: Blazing acceleration....more HP.....smoother Idling.....because your other car buddies have one and you didn't want to be chastised.
Go back to the origional Mopar equipment.....my RS23V0A****** has an origional Prestolite dual point distributor (recurved to be all in at 2400 RPM) and can run up tp 6500 RPM with out missing a beat......just replace the points and condenser every 2 yesrs or so. Place a FOR SALE AD for your old stuff and go back to origional.....you won't be sorry........
BOB RENTON
Hey Bob, just curious, where do you get your distributor parts? Is there a brand that you are partial to?

Just remember, getting quality points & condensers is getting tougher too...

Same as mine. In its defense. I just swapped it out for a stock orange box and although it seems better. I’m not convinced it’s cured. Still a little break up about 4500. Was hoping this was the fix…
Then

What ignition coil are you running

Are you running a ballast resistor with the ignition coil , and if so what OHM Resistor
Or No Resistor

Either scenarios - Volt reading at positive side of ignition coil with engine running at idle

And last what distributor / pickup coil

Auto Transport Service
Back