• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

From the files of "Things You Cannot Control"

Local time
2:19 PM
Reaction score
As of today, the spouse has crashed 6 of the 8 cars she has ever had, one of them twice. No drink/drug driving either, just the worst driver on the planet. This time making a turn into a driveway... no, not from the curb lane, but from the from the second lane over. DUH! Thankfully, she has never hit a classic car, lambo, pedestrian, baby in a stroller, etc.... just other meaningless vehicles, garage posts, ditches, tunnel walls, parked vehicles, etc....

I still would not have picked anyone else. I just have to vent! Thank you for reading my gripe.

THAT is friggin funny.
It is strange how something that seems so natural to some...(Situational awareness, common sense, risk assessment) ....can be so foreign to others.

That's funny...did she claim responsibility for any of them?

We had a delivery driver at work, she had an accident in one of our vans. While that van was in the bodyshop, she pranged up the rental replacement. Then she re-arranged the front end of another van. Two weeks ago, we got a new car in the fleet. She backed into something and put a hole in the rear bumper.

She said they weren't her fault.

She's gone now.

When the wife and I bought the Challenger in 2015, I was careful to warn her about the low front spoiler, the reduced visibility and overall width increase she'd deal with compared to her Honda CRV.
It turns out that I was the first one to scuff the spoiler. I was the first to get into an accident too....though it was the other person's fault....

1 FPP.JPG

So far after 8 years, she has only put a few small scratches in it.

Challenger 3-14 241.JPG

#41....
In the same boat.
My wife of 47 years has totaled 6 cars.
Thankfully she wasn't injured from
any of them.
Some her fault. Now that she's
approaching 70, some of that stubborn
independence has given way to an
admittance that she's a terrible driver,
and is willing to adjust her schedule
to where I do the driving.
I've been T-boned, rear-ended, and had
an almost totally blind elderly gent
turn directly in front me. He had no
license or insurance.
Glad your wife is OK, and venting is a
perfectly Norman reaction.

Last edited:
That's funny...did she claim responsibility for any of them?

We had a delivery driver at work, she had an accident in one of our vans. While that van was in the bodyshop, she pranged up the rental replacement. Then she re-arranged the front end of another van. Two weeks ago, we got a new car in the fleet. She backed into something and put a hole in the rear bumper.

She said they weren't her fault.

She's gone now.

It's always the same: Information is nebulous at first, but in the past she has always come around and admitted that she was at fault. At the moment, all I can get is gibberish, but the fact that she was cited pretty much makes discussing fault a moot point.

On the positive side, nobody has ever been physically hurt..... and I will probably be getting things MY WAY around here for awhile without much resistance :lowdown:

Thanks guys. I feel better.

We all have our faults, and it sounds like your wife's weakness is her driving skills.

Is there any chance to go out and practice and train her? I signed up for a driving course with my son when he started to drive. We both did the course together, and it was a fun father and son activity. Maybe if you and your wife sign up for a course? This takes you out of the equation as "instructor" and limits any battles.
Just brainstorming...

We all have our faults, and it sounds like your wife's weakness is her driving skills.

Is there any chance to go out and practice and train her? I signed up for a driving course with my son when he started to drive. We both did the course together, and it was a fun father and son activity. Maybe if you and your wife sign up for a course? This takes you out of the equation as "instructor" and limits any battles.
Just brainstorming...

Thanks for the suggestions

All kidding aside, I would also suggest a Driver's Training school, maybe locally?

(that goes for you too @Kern Dog )

Was going to make the same suggestions as Hawk Rod. Something more than just like learning to drive.

My wife managed to do this six months after I completed building my garage. Thankfully my classic car was not inside yet. This was my commuter car at the time. This also provided the opportunity to make some great memes. So I feel your pain.

IMG_5142.JPG

IMG_5143.JPG

IMG_5145.JPG

IMG_5150.JPG

My "X" was finishing up dealing with rolling a rental, and I helped with it. Don't remember how now, but it worked out me playing hero. Then, us being in the military and living a few hrs apart, we would take turns driving to see each other. Well, she run another car off of the autobahn and into a GD building about a 100' or so from the road. Rental insurance paid that 5k DM bill, and I paid the deductible. Still ignoring the obvious (Free Nookie and all), I didn't waver. Then she tried to beat a train and got the crossing guards to come down on the roof of my '74 Charger (no damage). Still not dissuaded, I endured my '69 Bee being molested at the car wash, my '73 van backing into a GD Mercedes, hitting a road construction sign causing the door to open where upon she fell out (at about 10-20mph at least). The car went across the median, caught air and stopped when it hit the guardrail on the opposite side of the opposing traffic lane. Luckily, she did not hit anyone else, but the '69 Coronet was dead. At a stop light, her in the turn lane, the straight lane went, so she hit the gas, and then the truck in front of her, another $3500 for that one. We got divorced not long after, but she damn near wrecked every vehicle she has driven...

Wow, none of my stories can compare, just that when one nasty thing happens it seems to come in replay mode. In May I hit a deer taking the wife’s car out of service for a month to get it repaired. Over Memorial Day weekend, with her car still in the shop, she was rear-ended in my beloved Dakota, the one I restored less than two-years ago. Fortunately, no injuries and drivable as we were 200 miles away visiting our daughter when this happened.

We spent a few days over the 4th back up at our daughter’s house. Built in 1881 and needs about as much work as it is old. We left on the 4th to come home after accomplishing a good part of repairs/cleaning we planned on. As we got on the interstate, my wife says what a nice trip, all went well. I replied – we’re not home yet. About 80 miles from home there was a jam up on the freeway and had to hit the brakes full-force. Suddenly felt the pedal sink and strange sensation of brake loss. Sick feeling. Pulled off to find brake fluid all over the LR wheel. Good thing there was some rear brakes left as making that kind of stop again wouldn’t happen after the fluid was gone. Took the scenic route home from there having just front brakes.

In the span of so many years, nothing like this has happened…then one after another. Again, not much too bad as it could’ve been worse.

Around 20 years ago, my oldest had her HS graduation party at our house. I rearranged our vehicles for more parking room. Parked my wife’s Eagle Vision close behind my 1500 4x4 Ram. The work day routine was taking our youngest to school in the city then onto work. We climbed in and I looked in the RV before backing up. Drove my truck over the top of her car 2/3rds of the way to the windshield. Took me a while to get over that one..

Auto Transport Service
Back