• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front brakes lock up too easily?

Yup, the short shoe transfers rotation to the rear shoe which applies force to the anchor pin.... When they move the lining position on the shoe or change the length of the lining it changes ho the shoe applies for to the secondary shoe...

I just read all 4 pages of that thread, very informative. However my issue is the brakes work like they should, , but barely touching the brake pedal causes the fronts to lock up, release the pedal, car rolls fine.
So, perhaps the shoe diameter more closely matches the drums on the front? Ahh the good old days of grinding/arcing the shoes to fit! Loved the smell of that asbestos!
Mike

So, perhaps the shoe diameter more closely matches the drums on the front? Ahh the good old days of grinding/arcing the shoes to fit! Loved the smell of that asbestos!
Mike
Yeah, bad for you but it made drum brakes work as them were intended..

And why that lag/activation/disengagement time thwarted proper ABS with drums.

I just read all 4 pages of that thread, very informative. However my issue is the brakes work like they should, , but barely touching the brake pedal causes the fronts to lock up, release the pedal, car rolls fine.
how does it behave in reverse?

Here’s pics of front pass side…I don’t see anything wrong?
1710438242019.jpeg
1710438301860.jpeg

1710438327647.jpeg

By the way, I measured front and rear drums…. If I measured correctly, it appears rear is 11x2.5, front is 11x3….does this sound right?

I read that whole thing last night, doesn’t seem to be my issue
Your short shoe material is not centered on the front shoes.

That said, mine are the same. I had one front wheel that would pull until they broke in after a few hundred miles. After that I can slam on the brakes without any pull. Yours look well "broken in", if not glazed. So if they're still locking/grabbing it is your problem.

Your short shoe material is not centered on the front shoes.

That said, mine are the same. I had one front wheel that would pull until they broke in after a few hundred miles. After that I can slam on the brakes without any pull. Yours look well "broken in", if not glazed. So if they're still locking/grabbing it is your problem.
Im not getting what you’re saying? My shoes look ok but are glazed, so glaze is my issue?
I’m ordering all new shoes for the car from NAPA…i would assume they’re front shoes will be not centered either. But i gotta try something. I have 11x3 on front, 11x2.5 on the rear

I read that whole thing last night, doesn’t seem to be my issue
Don't have to read the whole thing, just this part.
Then look at your shoe again
Rinse, repeat.
Screenshot_20240314_124545_Chrome.jpg

I have plenty to learn about drum brakes and the OP's problems are not clear to me either.

Ok I’ll try this again….
I’m rolling slowly forward on the driveway. I push the brake pedal down, seemingly very lightly in the front brakes lock up.
After reading the thread, you mentioned above, I get that the front brakes shoe the forward shoe, has a lining on it that’s not centered on the shoe. It’s towards the bottom of the shoe and leaves a big gap at the top I get that. Minor like that also. I’m assuming no matter what I buy they’re going to be like that. I’ve done brakes in the past with shoes exactly like that, and never had a problem. So I’m not sure what my problem is I can’t believe it’s because the brake lining is a little bit lower on the front forward you. My pictures above show both shoes, the rear is longer than the forward shoe, this the same in all four corners of the car. Not knowing where to turn on this issue, I’m buying all new shoes and trying that next

If it helps, old photo depicting the lining length measurements and off-set lining placement of my original front shoes-69 RR……
DC2CAEE8-BF14-4929-A161-C68679977D5B.jpeg
7162F7AB-6FDF-4E4B-927F-9E4E0C9B69D7.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back