• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front brakes lock up too easily?

koosh

Local time
4:49 AM
Reaction score
Just picked up 69 Super bee....power drums all around. BARELY touching the brake pedal, feels like front brakes lock up. I pulled drums off, everything looks fine, no apparent wheel cylinder leaks, drums look great, shoes have plenty of meat....
not sure if a master cylinder issue, or is there a equalizer valve on the car somewhere that needs adjustment?

Are the rear brakes working? Are the properly adjusted?

You sure it is not because you are not used to power drums? They are grabby by nature. If they are dangerously sensitive, that would be different..

Are the rear brakes working? Are the properly adjusted?
I don't know if theyre working...I assume adjustment is ok, I pulled rear drums too, and they have slight drag on them when spinning the tires

Are the longer secondary linings on the front VS the rear- where they belong?
Mike

In addition to the above, You probably should adjust all four brakes per the FSM to get to a known starting point.

Ok....are you guys saying big shoe on the backside of the front and rear brakes?
If so, pretty sure that's what I saw

Brakes stop the wheels, tires stop the car.
Are your front tires adequately size to stop the car to your desire, especially relative to the rears?

Brakes stop the wheels, tires stop the car.
Are your front tires adequately size to stop the car to your desire, especially relative to the rears?
Iv e never heard that before....but for what its wort, front tires are def smallervthan the rears....but I've Always had that setup on all my hot rods and muscle cars, with no locking up issues

Old shoes on the front and new ones on the rear? My car does just the opposite. The front shoes are new (new style material) the rears are still the 1977 vintage old style material (maybe asbestos)? Ive been meaning to swap to see if it’s real or in my head.

Front and rear shoes all same age, fairly new

read this similar thread and let us know if any of this applies to your situation.
Drum Brakes Grabbing - SOLVED!
I just read all 4 pages of that thread, very informative. However my issue is the brakes work like they should, , but barely touching the brake pedal causes the fronts to lock up, release the pedal, car rolls fine.

I just read all 4 pages of that thread, very informative. However my issue is the brakes work like they should, , but barely touching the brake pedal causes the fronts to lock up, release the pedal, car rolls fine.
That is kinda what the shoe with the lining in the wrong spot does... It causes the brakes to self energize more aggressively then normal... They are supposed to self energize, but in a controlled fashion...

Where is the lining placed on your shoes?

Ok....are you guys saying big shoe on the backside of the front and rear brakes?
If so, pretty sure that's what I saw
Ok. I should have phrased that less confusingly. Long lining always goes to the rear. It is the extra friction that makes the brakes "self energizing"!
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back