• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frustrated dad

Anyone that says that they've not had their kids do something without their knowledge or supervision either has no kids or simply doesn't remember.
I always believed I did a good job teaching my kids right from wrong but what I always prayed for was in order
1. They didn't kill each other.
2. They didn't kill anybody or anything else.
3. They didn't get injured or injure anyone else.
4. If they destroy someone else's property I hope my insurance covers it.
5. If they destroy my property mama better protect them.

When my kids were little I thought I knew what parenting was all about, and thought I was a good parent.

Now I know better.

After two kids I had a vasectomy... Best thing I ever did, and it worked out well after I was divorced at 39....

Tad, I've enjoyed watching your project move along. Most of the folks on FBBO are fantastic resources and willing to give a helping hand when it comes to our need for information and parts for our cherished old Mopars.
Some build their cars to help mend a loss, others to attach a bond with a son, daughter, brother.....heck, even the wife.
I got a kick out of some of the stories of truth and life. None of them had any tragic endings...mostly smiles of memories long gone.
Keep building memories my friend. Hopefully, more coming with those kids enjoying the Bee along side you.
Here's to 2021 and God Bless you all!

Disciplining typically follows screw ups, you can't anticipate everything your child will ever do.

Education and Training prevents screw ups and having to do discipline. That's why and how kids get away with murder! But you know best!

My son painted his skateboard on the carpet in the living room, still a spot of paint on the carpet. Guess what? We all lived!

Just to ask can you wet sand that off or buff it out. Then clear coat it again. May try some Goof off in a place where it is not noticeable and see if it take's it off. Sorry for your luck think I would just be livid for sure. Yes invest in a car cover. Have had one since painting the shell.

Look at the bright side of this------ your kids are learning to do some thing with their hands , they could be frying their brains and learning nothing playing video games all day.
The internet isn't big enough to post all the things I messed up at that age.

Accidents happen, teach them what's right and explain what could have prevented "angry dad" lol. Trust me I understand!
But there's no such thing as an accident......only conscience decisions with positive or negative outcomes

Thank you everyone!! Most of these made me laugh out loud and remember to not over react. I love the Bee but it’s a material item. I love my kids way more. I do look forward to the day they become producers in life and not just consumers! Until then my kids will learn through their mistakes and I will help guide them.
I love the producer and consumer comment!

What I want to know is....
How are the paint jobs on the models ?
Any sags ? :D

We only had 2. Girl & boy 1 year apart I could do a book on the crap they pulled.lol
When they were aprox 9 / 10 I bought my son his first bb gun.
He had shot his sister a couple times with it.
I took it from him and next time we were in town I bought her a bb gun.
Gave his back to him , she had hers and dinged him a few times lol.

I want to cry, scream, yell, and also try to understand.
In my book, this makes you a good dad. My usual saying when I have a problem is - it could always be worse. Perspective can be a soothing remedy for a lot of disappointments. Hang in there dad!

#1 - that's enough kids, man. What are ya, crazy? :)
Now seriously, of course we'll take into consideration you love and protect your offspring
and want them to grow to be productive and responsible adults.

In pursuit of that:
Above all else, you should be at least giving a partial look at how rules are made and
enforced in your household - and taking ownership of that JOB you, as parent, bear.
Nothing else you do as parent is more important, honestly.
It is a job, much along the vein of that saying about you not being able to be a buddy
to a kid AND their parent at the same time - which is at least partially true.

How rules are handled with kids leads to how much (or little) they grow up respecting other
people, other peoples' property and the rules/laws of society in general.
I cannot stress that enough...

Much of the destruction, disregard for fellow humans, lack of responsibility, etc. we see displayed
within the millennial generation right now comes from just this point, in fact - overly permissive
(or even sadder, inattentive) parents lead to production of young "adults" who are entitled and
disrespectful - which ultimately leads oftentimes to situations detrimental to others and society.

Doesn't mean you have to be an ogre as a parent - hell, just the sight of my dad getting his dander
up (and God forbid, placing his hand on his belt buckle :) ) was usually plenty for my "creative"
siblings and myself (yes, I was the most obnoxious of the bunch) to tow the line - and we all
grew up educated, polite, caring and at least usually productive members of society.

Most discipline is making the child understand there are rules and consequences for breaking them
and having them take you seriously about that - then making sure both parents are on the same
page, so that the kids get the same answers from either of you.
I managed to inherit a couple of stepsons at one time that were already well on their way to being
hellions when they arrived, so my job was doubly difficult - but once accepted, I couldn't shirk the
responsibility I'd signed up for.
The result some years later is two young men that are polite in public, are now married with kids of
their own and provide for their families - and I don't see their names in the crime blotter in the
newspaper. :)

Another good example of all this was just recently for me, when my wife's grandkids (4 boys, all within
the age group the OP mentions) came for a visit over Christmas break.
They always arrive rambunctious, full of vinegar and pretty much thinking they're freed of the usual
expectations when they come here - until they and I have our little talk to begin the visit, which
typically consists of reminding them that they are now guests in another persons' home and that
respecting same, both in manners and physical restraint, will not only be expected but enforced.

There's some grumbling, of course, and since the oldest is now 14, even a bit of sass back at first
since he's gotten away with that at home...
Well, he quickly learns that crap doesn't fly here.
Results? We had a blast going all over creation, attending attractions and eating dinner out and all
the usual family fare, with just the occasional normal flare-ups between siblings, quickly quelled.
I get a kick out of their calling me "Pop", too - since that was what I called my own dad. :)

Bottom line? you brought them into the world. No bigger, more important job will you ever have than
molding them into decent human beings.
The rest of the world will thank you for it - and it is your duty and responsibility to do so. :thumbsup:

#1 - that's enough kids, man. What are ya, crazy? :)
Now seriously, of course we'll take into consideration you love and protect your offspring
and want them to grow to be productive and responsible adults.

In pursuit of that:
Above all else, you should be at least giving a partial look at how rules are made and
enforced in your household - and taking ownership of that JOB you, as parent, bear.
Nothing else you do as parent is more important, honestly.
It is a job, much along the vein of that saying about you not being able to be a buddy
to a kid AND their parent at the same time - which is at least partially true.

How rules are handled with kids leads to how much (or little) they grow up respecting other
people, other peoples' property and the rules/laws of society in general.
I cannot stress that enough...

Much of the destruction, disregard for fellow humans, lack of responsibility, etc. we see displayed
within the millennial generation right now comes from just this point, in fact - overly permissive
(or even sadder, inattentive) parents lead to production of young "adults" who are entitled and
disrespectful - which ultimately leads oftentimes to situations detrimental to others and society.

Doesn't mean you have to be an ogre as a parent - hell, just the sight of my dad getting his dander
up (and God forbid, placing his hand on his belt buckle :) ) was usually plenty for my "creative"
siblings and myself (yes, I was the most obnoxious of the bunch) to tow the line - and we all
grew up educated, polite, caring and at least usually productive members of society.

Most discipline is making the child understand there are rules and consequences for breaking them
and having them take you seriously about that - then making sure both parents are on the same
page, so that the kids get the same answers from either of you.
I managed to inherit a couple of stepsons at one time that were already well on their way to being
hellions when they arrived, so my job was doubly difficult - but once accepted, I couldn't shirk the
responsibility I'd signed up for.
The result some years later is two young men that are polite in public, are now married with kids of
their own and provide for their families - and I don't see their names in the crime blotter in the
newspaper. :)

Another good example of all this was just recently for me, when my wife's grandkids (4 boys, all within
the age group the OP mentions) came for a visit over Christmas break.
They always arrive rambunctious, full of vinegar and pretty much thinking they're freed of the usual
expectations when they come here - until they and I have our little talk to begin the visit, which
typically consists of reminding them that they are now guests in another persons' home and that
respecting same, both in manners and physical restraint, will not only be expected but enforced.

There's some grumbling, of course, and since the oldest is now 14, even a bit of sass back at first
since he's gotten away with that at home...
Well, he quickly learns that crap doesn't fly here.
Results? We had a blast going all over creation, attending attractions and eating dinner out and all
the usual family fare, with just the occasional normal flare-ups between siblings, quickly quelled.
I get a kick out of their calling me "Pop", too - since that was what I called my own dad. :)

Bottom line? you brought them into the world. No bigger, more important job will you ever have than
molding them into decent human beings.
The rest of the world will thank you for it - and it is your duty and responsibility to do so. :thumbsup:
Thank you for your post and advice/experience. We can all learn from each other whether it’s cars or kids. Heck just life! To clarify, I am remarried. I have 3, girl, boy, boy. She has three also, boy, girl, girl. It’s fun, tough, exciting, rewarding all at the same time. We all learn from each other and guide them as you described above, to be respectful, contributing members of society. working on becoming PRODUCERS and not just consumers!!

What I want to know is....
How are the paint jobs on the models ?
Any sags ? :D

We only had 2. Girl & boy 1 year apart I could do a book on the crap they pulled.lol
When they were aprox 9 / 10 I bought my son his first bb gun.
He had shot his sister a couple times with it.
I took it from him and next time we were in town I bought her a bb gun.
Gave his back to him , she had hers and dinged him a few times lol.
The models came out really well. It was my eight year olds first time ever building a model. He chose a 65 Mustang fastback. My 11 year old chose a 69 Camaro. I pushed for Mopars but they chose otherwise.

Thank you for your post and advice/experience. We can all learn from each other whether it’s cars or kids. Heck just life! To clarify, I am remarried. I have 3, girl, boy, boy. She has three also, boy, girl, girl. It’s fun, tough, exciting, rewarding all at the same time. We all learn from each other and guide them as you described above, to be respectful, contributing members of society. working on becoming PRODUCERS and not just consumers!!
Do you have a housekeeper named Alice who has a boyfriend named Sam? And a dog named Tiger?:moparsmiley:

Holy cow, you got a real life Brady Bunch going on there! Prayers and all the best for you and yours, sir!

14467143-BC17-40A7-84AA-77DD8BDBFA91.jpeg
I figured I’d share a pic since I’ve gotten so many responses. This was the beginning of the summer. we took a trip to Arizona. Stopped in Verde Valley, Sedona, the Grand Canyon. I grew up in Arizona so wanted to share some of these places with my family.

Auto Transport Service
Back