• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel demand what fuel pump

615 hp requires about 52 gph, with correct A/F ratio. A Carter 460X elec pump will do the job nicely with adequate reserve; 100 gph, two models inbuilt [ dead-head ] reg or bypass reg model.

Are you sure you want to use aluminum tubing (what grade)? Aluminium is softer than steel alloy tubing, subject to fatigue failure due to vibration and impact damage. A-N fittings are great but so is compression fittings (Swag Loc, or Parker Hanifin or equal). Don't think Aluminum tubing would be SAE and Government allowable???? for safety regulations?? Just thinking out loud....
BOB RENTON

Bob I bought my roll of aluminum line from Mancini about 20 years ago as it was listed as fuel line. And its worked fin all these years but I dont use A-N fittings on it as I have heard that the aluminum can crack at times when tightened down with A-N fittings where the line is flared some in some fittings. I can say mine has never leaked and is holding up great and at the ends I just put a small flare on it and then use a braided line with a clamp to my fuel filter up front and of course braided from the reg to carb with A-N fittings there. I had seen a buddies aluminum line start to crack at his A-N fittings as he may have tightened it to much but thats the only place I have seen aluminum lines leak which is why I dont us the A-N fittings on my aluminum line. As for the rest of the line it actually fit in most of the stock clips as I ran it partly the same way as the stock fuel line and since its 3/8 they worked in the factory clips. I cant post a pic as I lost my host. My aluminum line has been on my 63 since 2006 and still working fine. Ron

Let me see if this link will show a pic when clicked on. But you can see the braided line goes to the fenderwell which is where my aluminum lines comes through the fenderwell. I used a rubber hose wrapped around the aluminum line and secured it with a clip but it dont vibrate since I put rubber hose over the metal aluminum line where it goes through the fenderwell. All you can see is the braided line and the clamp.
Facebook

Last edited:
I am I the process of replacing a car-length of braided line (rubber inside) that leaks like a sieve, with a 1/2 aluminum line, with A/ N fittings, to duplicate the setup (1/2 aluminum, a/n) that has lasted for thirty years on my other car. Also replacing a leaking holley blue, with a trick flow 140, again like on my other car.
The pump isn't quiet, or loud, just average, but I can't hear it when the engine is running.

You know I grew up in the 60's and 70's and I have been around muscle cars since about 1970 and I just got used to wanting to hear that electric pump run when the car was running. So a little noise from an electric pump makes me smile because I know its working. :thumbsup: Ron

You know I grew up in the 60's and 70's and I have been around muscle cars since about 1970 and I just got used to wanting to hear that electric pump run when the car was running. So a little noise from an electric pump makes me smile because I know its working. :thumbsup: Ron

ABSOLUTELY.....nothing as comforting as the sound of the fuel pump running.....BTW....My preference was the old Stewart-Warner 240A a positive displacement plunger pump....mounted near the tank on a frame rail.
BOB RENTON

You are faster than me, (for now, lol) but maybe my exhaust is louder than yours. Flowmaster 3.5" big block mufflers, tailpipes to the bumper. When the engine is off I can tell how its pumping by the sound. I had a Paxton 150 that pumped great, but lost prime when it sat for a couple weeks, even though it was lower and behind the tank. We'll see if the Trick Flow is better. The Mallory 250 gerotor was quieter than either the TF or Paxton.

You are faster than me, (for now, lol) but maybe my exhaust is louder than yours. Flowmaster 3.5" big block mufflers, tailpipes to the bumper. When the engine is off I can tell how its pumping by the sound. I had a Paxton 150 that pumped great, but lost prime when it sat for a couple weeks, even though it was lower and behind the tank. We'll see if the Trick Flow is better. The Mallory 250 gerotor was quieter than either the TF or Paxton.

I run the TTI 3" exh system out to the rear bumper. I use an X-pipe and Dyno-Max Ultra-flow mufflers. Its not really all that loud until I nail it then its a bit louder. I love it though as its just right for me since at 65 I dont need it to loud for my old ears. Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back