• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Economy on World's Largest Container Ships

We had V16 two stokes, no exhaust valves, four intakes. Was really my first time seeing engine rooms. It was just a block with individual cylinder power packs. Mechanics would disconnect the connecting rod by reaching in through a access door, disconnect everything and riggers would pull the power pack out. They had a whole mess of rebuilt ones in wooded boxes ready to be swapped in. When the boat was in dry dock the mechanics rebuilt everything
I would have thought the other way around...four exhaust valves in the head but no intake valves. The intakes were ported further down the sleeve of the cylinder wall. At least, that's how the two stroke locomotive engines were at CN.

I would have thought the other way around...four exhaust valves in the head but no intake valves. The intakes were ported further down the sleeve of the cylinder wall. At least, that's how the two stroke locomotive engines were at CN.
Im sorry its been awhile, I'm sure you have it correct

Yep cylinders usually are blown in thru the lower end as the pistons come to the bottom of the bore and exhaust out the top and out the log manifold up to the stack ... A very unique design.. some have two blowers some have turbos too... ancient designs that seemed to hold together and service was really pretty decent to do, power pack etc. the only that threw me off was the rod design with the basket and fork design.

Auto Transport Service
Back